Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Who commutes more than 15 miles each way?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Who commutes more than 15 miles each way?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Way back when I lived in Tucson, I biked just shy of 20 miles each way. I did it year round. The only time I drove was when I knew I was going to be 1) running errands after work that involved going way out of the way, 2) stuff that was too big for my panniers, or 3) business related travel during the day (and I would often just borrow the CEO's car if I didn't know in advance).

The hot days didn't bother me in the summer, since it was still pretty cool in the mornings, and I had a nice shower at work.
Old 03-05-13, 10:42 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't commute any more, but for many years i did so over various distances. The longest, for one year, was 29 miles each way. That was a substantial slice out of each day, so I did that only three or four days per week. The commute I did for the longest time was 16 miles each way, and I came to regard this as pretty much an ideal distance - it took just about an hour, and two hours a day five days a week was both enjoyable and gave me a decent base level of fitness on which to build.
Old 03-05-13, 12:20 PM
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I ride all the way from work to home it is ~19-20 miles each way, depending on routing choices. During the non-school year months, I do it about 3x/wk. I have the option of using mass transit, or of driving part of the way, parking the car and riding the rest. I get to ride some or all of the full distance occasionally during the school year, and just did it Friday -- 17 miles each way.
Old 03-05-13, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
30 miles each way. 3 times a week year round.
Old 03-05-13, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
20 to work, 18 home (for shortest safe route). I don't generally do it both ways -- I have a folding bike so I can take the train to work and ride home, or the opposite. Right now I'm doing that about once a week, but am ramping it up. In the winter on nice days I've been riding in, train home because it's pitch black by the time I leave, but once it's lighter out I'll mostly do the train there/ride home, as I prefer it as I can be a cranky unawake coffee drinker on the train in the mornings.
Old 03-05-13, 06:34 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I once had a 17 mile commute each way. Down into a steep valley, back up and then along a mesa, 5 days a week. It took me about an hour and a half. The time factor became the most grueling. Too much time spent commuting and there were other things I wanted to do with my life.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-05-13, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My RT commute is a shade over 30 miles. Try to do it 3 days per week, and I have no viable public transit options.
Old 03-07-13, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit68
My commute to work is 21 miles each way. I only do the complete commute a couple of times a week from spring to fall. I do have an option of taking a bus 8 miles which makes the commute more reasonable. It is a different direction and the ride is not as enjoyable.
I was wondering who bike commutes more than 15 miles each way? How often do you make this commute? And do you use multiple options like public transportation?
I commute 18 miles, 36 miles round trip, 6 days per week year round in NC and I sell cars!
Old 03-07-13, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 miles each way, 36 total, 6 days a week, year round in NC and I sell cars!
Old 03-07-13, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man...I SO admire all of you people and your long commutes!

I really want to try bicycle commuting, but I have too many barriers: 21 miles one way (which I actually wouldn't mind tackling, except) and the roads just aren't very bicycle friendly. I start out on a four lane highway with no shoulder to speak of. Speed limit is 55, but lots of car commuters that are in a rush and go way past the speed limit. I would not feel comfortable taking the lane here.

After the highway, it gets better...but not exactly ideal. 40 mph two-lane road (one lane going each way, double-yellow center line), no shoulder. I could take the lane here, since the speed limit and visibility is pretty reasonable...but the road is pretty busy most of the time (both ways) which means there would not be a lot of opportunities for cars to safely pass me. I can imagine a long line of cars behind me, honking at me to get out of the road. I don't know if I am ready for that yet! So far, I've only biked on shoulder lanes or on quiet country roads.

Anyway...I guess until I get over my issues, I will just continue to browse this forum every day and daydream.
Old 03-08-13, 02:11 AM

Bikes: Metabikes Metaphrastic Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FishyJeff
Man...I SO admire all of you people and your long commutes!

I really want to try bicycle commuting, but I have too many barriers: 21 miles one way (which I actually wouldn't mind tackling, except) and the roads just aren't very bicycle friendly. I start out on a four lane highway with no shoulder to speak of. Speed limit is 55, but lots of car commuters that are in a rush and go way past the speed limit. I would not feel comfortable taking the lane here.

After the highway, it gets better...but not exactly ideal. 40 mph two-lane road (one lane going each way, double-yellow center line), no shoulder. I could take the lane here, since the speed limit and visibility is pretty reasonable...but the road is pretty busy most of the time (both ways) which means there would not be a lot of opportunities for cars to safely pass me. I can imagine a long line of cars behind me, honking at me to get out of the road. I don't know if I am ready for that yet! So far, I've only biked on shoulder lanes or on quiet country roads.

Anyway...I guess until I get over my issues, I will just continue to browse this forum every day and daydream.
I guess I am lucky. Of my 18 miles route, about 3/4 consists of bicycle paths that run parallel to the same route I would take driving my car. I have no traffic lights, only roundabouts and usually very little traffic.

It's one of the reasons I opted for a recumbent bike to use for commuting. Long stretches of dedicated bike paths through rural areas makes for very comfortable relaxed riding without any saddle soreness. By car it takes me 30 minutes to get to work, by bike a little less than an hour funnily enough.
Old 03-08-13, 02:22 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by henkie327
I guess I am lucky. Of my 18 miles route, about 3/4 consists of bicycle paths that run parallel to the same route I would take driving my car. I have no traffic lights, only roundabouts and usually very little traffic.

It's one of the reasons I opted for a recumbent bike to use for commuting. Long stretches of dedicated bike paths through rural areas makes for very comfortable relaxed riding without any saddle soreness. By car it takes me 30 minutes to get to work, by bike a little less than an hour funnily enough.
Sounds nice. What part of the world do you live in (unless you'd rather not say)?
Old 03-08-13, 03:32 AM

Bikes: Metabikes Metaphrastic Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Sounds nice. What part of the world do you live in (unless you'd rather not say)?
I live in Holland, land of open flat terrain and bicycle paths.
Old 03-08-13, 11:16 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by henkie327
I live in Holland, land of open flat terrain and bicycle paths.
Lucky you! I should've known.