Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Protection against water spray from tires

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Protection against water spray from tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 09:41 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,570 Posts
Yah, wet feet suck. I have had good success with plastic shopping bags as liners between sock and shoe -- but only for warmth. That might do something for foot comfort, but you could probably just stick your whole shoe in the bag (cut a hole for your cleat? maybe not even necessary, the plastic's pretty thin) and tuck into either your shoes or socks.

But then if you're willing to ride that ugly, you might as well get full-coverage frenders...
Old 09-20-13, 09:50 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full fenders don't help keep your shoes dry, especially if it's raining anything more than a drizzle.

Plastic newspaper bags over the shoes work well for me, unless it's really pouring.
Old 09-20-13, 10:40 AM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try to take a good second look at a nice full set of proper fenders on a commuter bike and you may start to feel a little better about the look. Then actually try out a bike equipped with such fenders in really wet weather and you will be sold. I felt the exact same way as you did a few years ago and got tired of being sprayed by god knows what off the roads. I installed the full set which wraps nicely all around each wheel and even the bike stays clean now, even in winter slush and grime. The Planet Bike or SKS fenders are high quality and look and work very well. I know this doesn't answer your question but JMHO. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 09-20-13, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
How about the SKS Raceblades? They make some that have quick-release mounts for easy on/off.
I recently had some SKS Raceblades installed by my LBS. Within 10km on my first ride the front fender was rubbing on the tire. Fixed that, but now the rear fenders are rubbing. Doesn't matter how many times I adjust them, within a few minutes (I'm guessing the first minor bump in the road) they are rubbing again. Driving me crazy!
Old 09-21-13, 06:32 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full fenders and mudflaps for me. It was a complete no-brainer for me. When I was ordering parts for my build, I ordered Planet Bike full coverage fenders.

I also added stealth reflective mudflaps.
Old 09-21-13, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I looked for the plastic cutting boards but they were way too thick. So I bought a $2 plastic 3-gallon wastebasket from Walmart, 12 inches tall. I cut a strip from the narrow sides and bottom, about 3 inches wide on one end and about one inch wide on the other and bottom. I used double-sided velcro ties to strap it to the seat stays above the brakes and on the seat tube. Since it was a little floppy I stiffened it with bit of steel rod I had left over, bent by hand and tied on underneath with plastic zip-ties. I don't think it looks bad:

if a bit rough looking, but it fits the requirement of quick on and off with the velcro straps and with material cost of about three or four dollars. A quick ride through some water puddles this afternoon and it does eliminate the mud stripe but some splatter does get around it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trashcan_fender1.jpg (97.4 KB, 78 views)
trashcan_fender2.jpg (96.3 KB, 80 views)
trashcan_fender3.jpg (96.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-22-13, 05:49 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7379 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,478 Posts
If you're on a group ride and the conditions are wet, it's bad manners not to have full fenders, because your bike will spray the other riders.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-13, 08:20 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by noglider
If you're on a group ride and the conditions are wet, it's bad manners not to have full fenders, because your bike will spray the other riders.
Fortunately, I live in San Diego. I would never ride recreationally in the rain, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to convince anyone to join me!
Old 09-23-13, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have a set of full fenders for my 26" MTB (demoted to a winter bike), I don't think I could transfer them to my 29er so I'd have to get another set. I find that the fenders (Planet Bike, not sure what model) are quite "floppy" in that the metal "spokes" that go out from near the hub to the sides of the fenders are not strong or stiff enough to prevent shaking of the fender and the buzzing sound as part of it hits the knobbies on the side of the tire (probably 2.1-2.3" size). If I do break down and get fenders, I'd like fenders with a better, stronger support system.
Old 09-23-13, 09:32 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I looked for the plastic cutting boards but they were way too thick. So I bought a $2 plastic 3-gallon wastebasket from Walmart, 12 inches tall. I cut a strip from the narrow sides and bottom, about 3 inches wide on one end and about one inch wide on the other and bottom. I used double-sided velcro ties to strap it to the seat stays above the brakes and on the seat tube. Since it was a little floppy I stiffened it with bit of steel rod I had left over, bent by hand and tied on underneath with plastic zip-ties. I don't think it looks bad:

if a bit rough looking, but it fits the requirement of quick on and off with the velcro straps and with material cost of about three or four dollars. A quick ride through some water puddles this afternoon and it does eliminate the mud stripe but some splatter does get around it.
That's pretty awesome! Certainly a lot better than slices of plastic cutting mats! So are you going to integrate a rear rack with that system?
Old 09-23-13, 09:49 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7379 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,478 Posts
RubeRad, I understand your perspective. I said that for the benefit of those for whom it is appropriate.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-13, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's pretty awesome! Certainly a lot better than slices of plastic cutting mats! So are you going to integrate a rear rack with that system?
Thanks. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but since OP wanted a detachable fender and it was much easier to make than I expected, I figured it was worth a post.

You're right, OP did want one integrated to his rack instead of the seat tube. I'm not planning to use a rack on that bike, but I'll try something using the rest of the waste basket plastic on my foul weather beater and post it back here if it works well.
Old 09-23-13, 10:04 AM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Thanks. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but since OP wanted a detachable fender and it was much easier to make than I expected, I figured it was worth a post.

You're right, OP did want one integrated to his rack instead of the seat tube. I'm not planning to use a rack on that bike, but I'll try something using the rest of the waste basket plastic on my foul weather beater and post it back here if it works well.
Your contributions are welcome!

Neat piece of origami!!
Old 09-23-13, 10:33 AM
Keepin it Wheel

So wph, can you give us a shot also of the final thing not attached to the bike? Are the sharp bends from the bottom of the original trashcan?
Old 09-23-13, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad
So wph, can you give us a shot also of the final thing not attached to the bike? Are the sharp bends from the bottom of the original trashcan?

Just a strip cut out, four velcro wraps and the steel rod. The bends are from the bottom of the trash can - I used a heat gun lightly after the first bend to pull it up more off the tire. I think the first bend itself is important to have a surface to tie against the seat stays.

You could take the other bend out but I felt like leaving well enough alone.
Attached Images
trashcan_fender4.jpg (100.8 KB, 68 views)
trashcan_fender5.jpg (101.6 KB, 66 views)
trashcan_fender6.jpg (100.2 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by wphamilton; 09-23-13 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 05:04 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Or, HTFU a rain jacket with a butt flap Is all the Pros use when the rain starts to fall on Race day .

a cap under your helmet , or a helmet cover with a Back Flap ..
and that should keep the image you wish .

once it snows everything will be white again.
Old 07-13-16, 08:28 AM

I haven't been actually using this DIY one, which has been sitting forgotten in the closet until this thread was resurrected. It would have saved me a soaked backside several times ... but not from splatter on the back. The only way that works - for me - is to have a fender close to the tire curving all the way to a vertical tangent.

ps, it wasn't me who resurrected the thread - it was a guy posting to hawk his clip-on fenders, a little spammy I guess and now deleted. He was asking how well such fenders worked, so I was giving the benefit of the doubt to answer here.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-15-16 at 09:57 AM.