Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob cyclist intimidated by crash stories from teammates, thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob cyclist intimidated by crash stories from teammates, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 09:55 AM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
More to the point, none of us should ride with either of you!

800k... holy mackerel. I hope your insurance doesn't have a lifetime cap, because you're well into it if they do
I was hit by a truck, and his insurance paid.
Old 02-17-15, 10:01 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
I was hit by a truck, and his insurance paid.
Zoinks. Glad you are around to tell us about it.
Old 02-17-15, 10:03 AM
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
TTs and hillclimbs are relatively safe.

Be prepared to get smoked by some very fast old guys.
The very fast old guys can have at it. I'll watch
Old 02-17-15, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Health insurance is probably a great idea for anyone that rides on roads but don't most clubs/race teams carry insurance to cover you? I thought that was a perk for clubs
Old 02-17-15, 10:24 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Health insurance is probably a great idea for anyone that rides on roads but don't most clubs/race teams carry insurance to cover you? I thought that was a perk for clubs
I wouldn't count on that. Clubs typically carry liability insurance to cover their liability, which is not health insurance.

USA Cycling does provide health insurance to riders in sanctioned events ( or at least they did last time I checked) but its limtied coverage, secondary to your own policy and with a high deductible.

I wouldn't be relying on USA Cycling, my team, or the race promoter for health insurance.

Edit: For 2015 USA Cycling provides rider accident insurance for permitted events, with a $5,000 deductible, a $25,000 maximum benefit, and it only pays 70% of the reasonable and necessary expenses.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for...tInsurance.pdf

That's not even going to cover a surgical reduction of a borken collar bone. And if you're in a position you don't have health insurance, the odds are pretty good that the $5,000 deductible is going to be a hardship.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 02-17-15 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-17-15, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nearly every cat5 and cat4/5 race I did, there was a crash or multiple incidents or at least a point in the race where I had to take evasive action either riding off into a ditch or bailing across the double yellows. I once had a bike coming at me at eye level that I had to duck and nobody upright even slowed. I have seen some of the stupidest moves that you just cannot believe and even bar bashing and elbow throws between old guys with gray beards near the back of the pack!

I wised up and started the races first and stayed up there and it became more safe. Not totally safe but much, much better.

Get in there, get fast and get to the front but keep the stories in the back of your mind. Getting hurt may be cool to tough guys but when you are home laid up all summer and cannot race because of another riders errors or wild riding then it's a whole new ball game of unfun.

Llittle bumps and road rash and broken collarbones are not so bad in cycling and racing but some people do get hurt enough to change their lives and that is a risk you must really consider.
Old 02-17-15, 03:53 PM

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Caad 8, 2012 Bianchi Iseo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies. I love cycling so I won't be giving it up any time soon but maybe I'll start with tts and cross for now until I can hold my own in a mass start. It's mostly for exercise and relaxation but sometimes when I see someone pass me in really wanna chase them.
Old 02-17-15, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To say that you won't race because you may crash is basically the same as saying...

I won't drive a car because I may have an accident
I won't fly in a plane because they crash
I won't ride a bus or train cause they crash
I won't cross the street cause I may get hit
I won't ask her out because she may say no
I won't ride that chairlift cause they fall off
I won't eat at a restaurant cause the food is bad
I won't ever have fun cause something may go wrong

You may regret what you have not done more than what you did. Just go do it. Have fun. Get faster. Work on skills. Get stronger. Join a team and join in on the fun. Go learn. Be a student of the sport. Ask questions. Watch and observe. Be guided by a mentor. But for sure do not ever go outside cause you can get hit by lightning.
Old 02-17-15, 05:58 PM
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 195cranky
To say that you won't race because you may crash is basically the same as saying...

Car accident != bike accident – Seatbelt, airbags and metal all around you.

I won't fly in a plane because they crash
Flying is statistically the safest way to travel.

I won't ride a bus or train cause they crash
Only poor people ride the bus.

I won't cross the street cause I may get hit
Hold your mommy's hand.

I'm sorry for your insecurities.

I won't ride that chairlift cause they fall off
You'll need a chairlift to go up the stairs if you have a bad accident on a bike.

I won't eat at a restaurant cause the food is bad
Stop eating at Denny's.

I won't ever have fun cause something may go wrong
You need help.

Old 02-18-15, 02:11 AM

Bikes: Cube Cross Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
idd she may
Old 02-18-15, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by happyscientist
I ran into the same thing. With me, it was worse because women are told horror stories their entire lives as a way to discourage them from doing anything adventurous. Then, all of these men, who seemed so encouraging and supportive and who were arranging special training rides to help me with my weakness were telling terrifying tales. Then I realized that swapping war stories was being inclusive. Also, they were trying to say "these things happen. Accept it. Work on your bike handling skills. Ultimately, you will be OK, and even if you break something, you will be part of the club".

I will add that the year I raced, we did special drills for being bumped and handling your bike in very close quarters. I didn't need those skills in a race, but they have really come in handy on recreational rides. For example, I have hit a large dog, ridden over someone who crashed (felt bad about that), or hit someone's back wheel when he suddenly slowed without crashing myself. So if you are nervous, work on your bike handling skills.
I really like that response.

A couple of things I'd add: crashes are not allowed. Certainly there are circumstances where there's nothing you can do to prevent injury, but often enough it's a matter of self-fulfilling prophesy. You can think "OMG, I'm gonna crash!" and surely you will. But if you remember "no crashing allowed!" you'd be surprised at the situations from which you can recover.

But yes, a crash is far more likely to occur in a race than on a recreational ride. Although the course is generally made safer, that's to prevent damage to others from the hazardous activity of racing as much or more than it is to protect the racers; it's why one should only race in properly organized, sanctioned events.
Old 02-18-15, 09:56 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
QUOTE=195cranky;17562496]To say that you won't race because you may crash is basically the same as saying...

[/QUOTE]

Better analogy would be I won't drive my car on a race track because I might have an accident.

The odds your going to crash in a bike race are dramatically higher than the odds you're going be in a car crash.

Based on completely unscientific observation, I'd say the odds your going to crash in a bike race are closer to the odds your going to crash your car on the track in a high performance driving education event, or a club race.

Many people find that level of risk to be acceptable, others don't.

Its a question of risk/return. How much do you value the benefits, and how much risk you're willing to accept.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-18-15, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
To the OP, crash "stories" are told 10 times worse than they really were.

Most beginner racers have little clue how to race in a pack. You ride the course, then in the race you have to take a line you did not practice, you get nervous, hit the brakes and presto you are on the deck...

I usually suggest to new racers to find a club where they can practice race with people more experienced to learn first.

And, yes, even pros crash. But if you get hurt you are an employee so you get taken care of.
Old 02-18-15, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Don't listen to crash stories.