Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New to me 1978 Jack Taylor!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New to me 1978 Jack Taylor!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 06:28 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Gorgeous bike! I agree, that’s up there in grail status. Hoods, pedals... maybe a rear derailleur swap and done! Perfecto!
Old 08-22-19, 07:51 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
thats a real nice one, Clark.

Old 08-22-19, 09:52 PM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Nice bike, for sure.

The water bottle boss is a hex nut brazed to the down tube! I love it - so simple.
Old 08-23-19, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Racks and fenders

Love the paint coordinated racks. Looks like the racks are bolted to the dropout eyelets, but are also fixed in the fore/aft position by bolting to the fenders rather than connected directly to the brake bolts, fork, or seat stays. I've seen some examples of fenders being mounted to racks, but in this case you might say the racks are mounted to the fenders.
Old 08-23-19, 01:26 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by TomJD
Love the paint coordinated racks. Looks like the racks are bolted to the dropout eyelets, but are also fixed in the fore/aft position by bolting to the fenders rather than connected directly to the brake bolts, fork, or seat stays. I've seen some examples of fenders being mounted to racks, but in this case you might say the racks are mounted to the fenders.
It's curious, isn't it? Reminds me of the built-in wire racks you'll find on old Lefol fenders in France. The Taylors did this on some of their bikes, but connected the racks to braze-ons/fork/seat stays on others. My Taylor tandem is like this bike, racks mounted to fenders. While it is simple and elegant, I don't think it's a good idea. The fenders just aren't strong enough for any appreciable load. After a time the racks will cause the area around the fender holes to fatigue and eventually they will pull through the fender holes, as they started to do on my tandem.

Luckily, you can prevent it, as I mentioned in my previous post, by putting a stiffening bar of thin (1/8 or 1/16 x 3/4 or 1") aluminum under the fender, spanning from the rack studs to the seat stay bridge or fork crown fender mount, effectively attaching the rack to the frame with a nice hidden fender reinforcement. Nice thing is that it's a reversible bolt-on improvement that you can easily make with a drill and a hacksaw and a file. The Taylors left plenty of clearance so it's an easy fit.

I know people may say that the racks were never designed for loads that would damage the fenders, and that fenders are wear items anyhow, but my thought is that if they're wearing out in one particular spot first, you should reinforce that weakest spot.
Old 08-23-19, 01:42 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Well, you don't see one of those every day, particularly not in this kind of condition. Fantastic score; ride in good health

DD
Old 08-26-19, 06:49 PM

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Nice bike. I'm sure a six speed cluster would fit that wheel, but I'd still want to see what I could find in a seven. Perhaps you can get enough variation with seven in the rear and two in the front. I used to tour on a 49-42 with at six speed 13 to 24 on the rear. It turns out that I never used the 13. I did some silly things 35 years ago.
Old 08-27-19, 10:08 AM

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My favorite color for a Jack Taylor. Very nice bike in superb condition. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-29-19, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks touring friendly already, front and rear racks, front and rear mudguards. It doesn't appear to need much, perhaps new covers for the brake levers. Can't tell what size and type of tires you have there, but depending on the terrain and weather, you may not need to do anything in that regard.
Old 08-30-19, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Welcome to the Taylor owners club. They really are special, aren't they?

If you find the serial (on one of the dropouts of the older bikes, often also on the rear rack tab that bolts to the eyelet, not sure about yours), you can get the original build sheet with size and date from Mike Thompson (meauxtown at yahoo dot com). He's a very friendly guy.

Regarding making it a bit more touring-friendly. On my Taylor tandem, I wasn't satisfied with the racks being supported by the fenders alone as their top mounting point. I fabricated some aluminum strips that run inside the fenders to keep the racks from enlarging their holes in the fenders and stiffen them up a bit under lateral and longitudinal loading. You should be able to do this without modifying the Taylors' original work, provided the studs on the racks that go through the fenders are long enough. I also replaced the cracked and degraded original rubber washers mounting the racks to the fenders with leather washers. VO ones will work, but I made my own because I wanted something sturdier/thicker.

Be careful with bolts and screw threads. There are three possible threadings for the 5mm-looking bolts on these bikes. If it's related to the fenders, it's probably actually M5x0.8 as you'd expect. If it's a bottle boss or rack bolt, it's anybody's guess. It could be Imperial #10-32 (readily available in USA), or it could be an obscure British thread called 2BA. Some say the brass screws are more likely to be 2BA. Your bike looks a little younger than mine, so probably less likely to have such weird stuff, but I figured I'd warn you before you strip anything!
2BA can be re-tapped to M5 quite successfully, if it turns out that's what you have. The mounting screw threading on my 1963 Jack Taylor Sports was 2BA on one side of the bike and unknown-but-definitely-not 2BA on the other side when I got it (I'm the 3rd owner). I re-tapped to M5. No water bottle mounts on mine.
Old 08-30-19, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
What color are you painting it?
God forbid!
Old 08-30-19, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by specialmonkey
I agree, I would keep that baby just like it is (just add pedals and find some hoods), hope the bit about painting it was in jest.
That would be a crime, wouldn't it?

Originally Posted by specialmonkey
Is it fillet-brazed? What does the Reynolds sticker say?
Yes, fillet brazed, and the decal identifies the tubing as Tourist grade (i.e., 10/7/10) Reynolds 531.
Old 04-26-21, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gorgeous!