Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the most you'll spend on a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the most you'll spend on a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 08:35 AM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Also, to those above saying there's no difference between a $2,500 bike and a $5,000 bike... I beg to differ.

I haven't read anyone claiming there's "no difference" between bicycles at the various price points. What I do understand, and am claiming for myself only, is that I cannot appreciate any perceptible difference between a $2500 and $5000 bike. If anything, the more expensive bikes feel more frail and delicate beneath me, which at my size and weight isn't a good thing. But certainly, if I could perceive and enjoy the benefits of a more expensive bike, I'd buy it. Not trying to sound arrogant here, but for me money is no object. I can quite comfortably afford to buy any bicycle on the market but choose to stop at the price point where there is no longer any perceptible benefit for me. I readily accept the idea that price points and the perceived benefits can be very different for others.

If durability and comfort were the most important qualities in cycling and commanded the highest prices, I'd be paying much more. But the premium is placed on light weight, speed and sometimes exotic materials for which I have no need. I get off relatively cheap.

-Kedosto
Old 05-06-19, 08:38 AM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by base2
$8000 all in, after tax.

Custom paint, custom geometry with clearance for 2 inch mtn bike tires, super extended wheel base & sized for my particular proportions in Vari-wall ThermLX tandem tubing, travel package, Rolhoff hub, Gebla Rohbox, SRAM shifters, Velocity 26 inch Dyads, Powertap chainring, Bushnell eccentric, 180mm Icetech rotor front, 180mm disc rear, TRP Spyre calipers.

Yes, purpose built for all roads on all continents with 100 pounds of gear.

(And just to Fred it up a bit, I run flat pedals.)

Now that's money well spent. If I had a need for such a bike, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. 29'er and SPD's, thank you very much.

-Kedosto
Old 05-06-19, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
No limit, it all depends on what my perceived value is and what I can afford.
Old 05-06-19, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
My basic rule is don't pay more than you can afford to replace if something happens to the bike. I suppose the most I've paid was in the low $2,000. That is probably my limit.
Old 05-06-19, 09:31 AM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The amount of money I'll spend on cycling is for all intents-and-purposes unconstrained. I've never added it up, but I would guess it's several thousand dollars a year all-in. I don't buy complete bikes and I'm constantly swapping parts around so it's easy for me to nickel-and-dime my way up to a pretty big number. Plus there's travel, hotels, kit, etc. I'm fortunate to be in a position that if it makes me happy, I just buy it.
Likes For kingston:
Old 05-06-19, 09:52 AM
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
The new SLX and 105 stuff seem not much different in finish and performance as the top end groups. I think technology in cycling has pretty much reached maturity and the only real area of advancement for bike parts is probably in material composition. As of 2019, I still prefer the all white finish of aluminum parts. They are just as light as carbon and look much nicer over time.
Old 05-06-19, 11:20 AM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Obeast
...I think technology in cycling has pretty much reached maturity and the only real area of advancement for bike parts is probably in material composition..

People have been saying that (or something similar) for decades. That's why a "forever bike" is a quaint notion.

-Kedosto
Old 05-06-19, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Set aside 2% of income for bicycle replacement on an annual basis which works well for me, the longer I wait the better the bike.
Old 05-06-19, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I don’t know if I’ve ever spent over $100... the last 3 bikes I bought were $50, $20, and $0... plus parts from the bin and time to clean them up.
$50

$20, plus $25 for a handmade fork

Free
Old 05-06-19, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil

All things are relative and open to negotiation in life though so *my* realistic may not be to others close to me. My wife for instance got to set the limit when she offered to buy me a bike last year for my birthday, which was $500. I thought I was being reasonable by keeping it under $1000 but she still balked at first. I justified it as a "step up" from my $600 (in 2002 dollars) bicycle.

That being said, I try to "educate" her on what's reasonable. It's a constant struggle. I'd talked her into spending just over $500 on a bicycle, (which as I previously alluded to she thought was a lot) but in the end she was happy that she did even if she barely rides it. Jogging and fitness classes are her primary forms of exercise and she's already justified the cost of $200 shoes because of comfort issues.
I'm trying to get her to ride with me (her chosen form of exercise is starting to take its toll on her joints) and would support her spending over $1000 on her next bike when she realizes that the $500 hybrid is holding her back. She's already looking at gear and I'm going to buy her a set of clipless pedals and shoes either for mother's day or her birthday. I'll try not to spend more than what she spent for the bike lol!
Sorry ... I really don't meant to preach but I'm not convinced buying her a set of clipless pedals and shoes is going to be top of her list for mothers day of her birthday list.

The way you're written it sounds like you wish she was more interested in cycling so you could share your interest with her rather than her actually being interested in taking up cycling and women want impractical, extravagant and romantic things for their b'day.
I'm not convinced clipless pedals and shoes quite covers any of them despite it possibly being high on your b'day list if you didn't have any and seems more like you trying to convince her into your hobby than something she's driven to do herself ... especially where you say you've bought her a bike and she hardly rides it ... coupled with ... I#m trying to get her to ride with me ..... It honestly doesn't sound like it's top of her want to do list.

Please feel free to tell me to butt out and mind my own business and maybe I've picked up the wrong end of the stick, but even buying "nice underwear" for the wife, she can see it as something you bought for your benefit rather than hers but it's totally acceptable for her sister to get it for her.
Old 05-06-19, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cl904
I don’t know if I’ve ever spent over $100... the last 3 bikes I bought were $50, $20, and $0... plus parts from the bin and time to clean them up.
$50

$20, plus $25 for a handmade fork

Free
Absolutely loving these ... how did you manage to find them **********

I've been thinking about getting myself a road bike recently and really like something with some character ... if I could find something like one of these and not spend a ton of money I'd be totally elated.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 05-06-19, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Absolutely loving these ... how did you manage to find them **********

I've been thinking about getting myself a road bike recently and really like something with some character ... if I could find something like one of these and not spend a ton of money I'd be totally elated.
First two were on Facebook, second had been hanging in the bike shop for a while and needed work. I’ve donated a bunch over the years, and when I asked to look at it the owner took it down and told me to take it home. I’ve found nice bikes at thrift stores also.

all of these needed work, which I did myself. They all needed at least one part replaced, and I have a bin of parts from picking up inexpensive bikes over the years. That’s the real secret I think, otherwise it can cost more than the bike is worth to get it running again.

Read up in the classic and vintage section to get a feel for what kind of things you should look for on an older bike, and keep an eye on Facebook and craigslist for deals.
Likes For Cl904:
Old 05-06-19, 05:25 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’d spend as much as I can afford. My bike is more valuable than my car and I see no problem with that.
Old 05-06-19, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cl904
First two were on Facebook, second had been hanging in the bike shop for a while and needed work. I’ve donated a bunch over the years, and when I asked to look at it the owner took it down and told me to take it home. I’ve found nice bikes at thrift stores also.

all of these needed work, which I did myself. They all needed at least one part replaced, and I have a bin of parts from picking up inexpensive bikes over the years. That’s the real secret I think, otherwise it can cost more than the bike is worth to get it running again.

Read up in the classic and vintage section to get a feel for what kind of things you should look for on an older bike, and keep an eye on Facebook and craigslist for deals.
Brilliant and cheers for that ... I think this has been partially spurned by my daughter who's a bit quirky having bought a vintage Raleigh with drops to take to University and didn't want to spend much money in case it gets stolen .... she's found something she loves the character of for £30 ... she'll be gutted if it ever gets nicked but she wouldn't of given a monkey's if her £350 MTB went walkabout.

I just really fancy the simplicity of similar .... even if it needs a few quid spending to get it into reasonable working order.
Old 05-06-19, 05:36 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Where do YOU draw the line?
I bought the bike of my dreams 4 years ago. I have 22,000 miles some i'm somewhere around $0.60 per mile. And 4 years later I still smile everytime I get on it and head out.

IF you can afford the bike of your dreams... buy it.
Old 05-07-19, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I just scored a Motobecane for $20 in my size . It is a 1980, just my style and it will give me a great deal of pleasure fixing it up and riding it. I have a friend who has a carbon Bianchi that costs as much as a good used car and that's his thing . I think there is a fanny for every saddle! Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-07-19, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Where do YOU draw the line?
My new custom gravel bike should be ready next week, and it'll come to about $7200.

I do have a few regrets -- wish I had gone with a nicer (more expensive) headset and crankset. But by the time I contacted the shop to change my mind, they had already ordered the original choices, so I didn't ask them to switch in the more expensive components.

I reckon that I'll buy a new road bike in about three years, and will probably spend about the same amount on it, or perhaps a bit more.
Old 05-07-19, 08:25 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
My Fuji was $1400 brand new, carbon aero w/ Ultegra r8000. Makes it really hard for me to see how any of these other bikes are worth $3-5k, or more. Even with upgrades, I still have less in it than any comparably equipped bike. Hell, I've got less in it than some people have in a set of wheels.

Old 05-07-19, 08:49 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actually sounds like a good value when you consider an off the shelf Disc Trucker is probably something $1,600 before tax. The S&S couplers installed have to be several hundred dollars alone.
So far, I've spent considerably less than $1000 on two bikes plus upgrades and maintenance on both, but I'm hoping that some time in the next couple years I'll be able to splurge and get that off-the-shelf disc trucker for around $1600. One of those with 26" wheels ticks all the boxes for me right now.
Old 05-07-19, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18432 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
So far, I've spent considerably less than $1000 on two bikes plus upgrades and maintenance on both, but I'm hoping that some time in the next couple years I'll be able to splurge and get that off-the-shelf disc trucker for around $1600. One of those with 26" wheels ticks all the boxes for me right now.
I was making a comparison to his $8K bike which, in addition to being a custom frame with S&S couplers, is outfitted with all sorts of "goodies, including a dynamo light, IGH and power meter. Nothing wrong with an LHT. I commute and tour on one myself. Just saying that the $8K (including tax) for all that seems like a good value compared to what you pay for something off the shelf.
Old 05-07-19, 09:08 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I was making a comparison to his $8K bike which, in addition to being a custom frame with S&S couplers, is outfitted with all sorts of "goodies, including a dynamo light, IGH and power meter. Nothing wrong with an LHT. I commute and tour on one myself.
Absolutely, I understood what you were saying. I don't begrudge anyone spending their money on nice things. If I came off as being grouchy I didn't mean it that way.
Old 05-07-19, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
In all honesty, I'm not worthy either. I'm almost 57, not in the greatest shape, and have a top speed average of about 17 mph at best. I ride when I can, getting in anywhere from 20 to 60 miles on an average ride. I don't even dress the part of most cyclists, preferring mountain bike type shorts and loose jersey over a kit. But, you know what? I enjoy the heck out of riding, and enjoy keeping up with most of the technical advances in equipment right now. Not that the weight aspect of a high dollar bike would do me any good as well, it wouldn't, but I like what I like.

I'd probably look ridiculous as heck on the bike I would really like to have, but I'd be one happy ridiculous looking old man riding it. Well, until I noticed the chunk out of my savings account that is.
I get it. I'm almost 58, two kids still in school, both going to college. Luckily for me I enjoy wrenching and there are lots of decent bikes out there for really cheap. I did buy a new SPecialized Sirrus last year, so my answer would be just under $700.
Old 05-07-19, 03:19 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
$8500. It's far enough away from 10K where I wouldn't second guess spending that kind of cash on a bike. But still enough to get something super amazing.
Old 05-07-19, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
People don't like to hear it, but my honest answer would be around $500-$600.
Old 05-07-19, 06:13 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Depends on how much is in my bank account. Thus far, it has been $1200.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.