Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mixte or Step Through Frame, which is it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 12:43 AM

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

My question is which type of frame is this, a step through or a mixte? And what makes it one or the other? I know it is a lugged frame with double butted chrome molybdenum tubing. Given its ultimate use by a small light weight person I think in either form it will work well for them, perhaps with the addition of a triplizer. Thanks
Old 05-06-18, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Some would argue that mixte only refers to the twin external lateral design shown above, and that the various other styles of open "ladies" frames have other names. Here is an interesting article on classic UK builders illustrating some of the other styles.
Old 05-06-18, 06:58 AM
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Mixtes originally designed for the French Army???

From what I'd heard BITD, mixte frames were designed for the French army because, 1 size fit all, they were faster to dismount and they could carry a lot of extra equipment. I've never seen documentation on that but it makes sense.

Military bikes:

Early model, 1886

French machine gun bike, circa the Maginot Line

Italian Bicycle Corp,1939

Italian Bicycle Corp 1943, notice the happy faces. (mani in alto)

Peloton, Tour De France 1940

Dutch Army Musical Corp. You think you can handle a bike? Check these guys out!

Sorry for hijacking the thread. (not really, I've been waiting for years to out this info)

Mixte frames are less latterly flexible than step through designs plus generally a little lighter.

Bicycles are amazing machines. The average bike can support far more than 10 times it's weight. They're ants of the mechanical world ( ants can support more than 5000 times their body weight).

I put this Flickr album together for another forum years ago. It shows a number of mixte frames:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/282672...57624757110832

We sold Bertin and Gitane mixtes back in the 70's. French mixtes generally came in three frame sizes measured C to T: 50cm, 54cm and 57cm. The 57cm frames were not very common. Most mixtes had longer distances from the seat tube to the head tube (imaginary top tube distance) than standard "diamond" frames.

Funny thing, not many young women bought them back then. They wanted "boys" bikes (even though the stand over height was to high)!

Many of our mixte customers were older men with problems swinging their legs over the seat and top tube. Several times in the past few years I started considering a mixte - I aint too proud!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-27-19 at 03:25 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-06-18, 08:29 AM

Thanks all. I've begun building up first bikes for Granddaughters and have a Fuji Mixte nearly done for my oldest. This will be a big jump for her to 700c wheels and to offset it the low step over height of the Mixte/Step Through frame made a lot of sense to me as that first pedal push to start and ease of getting your foot down to stop keeps the confidence strong and makes all the rest fun. Then in another half dozen years, figure 8 year old to 14 year old, I can look for their first diamond frame bike, if the interest is still there. They live in France so vintage bikes from Japan may be cool if not different. The bike above will be the second project for a second Granddaughter. I have several Nishiki bikes so when I saw this complete and in what appears to be remarkable condition Nishiki I took the plunge. Now the fun of getting it boxed and shipped from one part of America to another where I live...oh, joy. It will be interesting to see what its serial number is, as I believe this is a pretty early bike and top of the line of the Mixtie/Step Through frames they made with nice double butted tubing (hard to find as a frame material in this style of bike)...again, have to wait and see.

verktyg, thanks for a great post, always something to learn about the history of bikes. Wonder after firing the machine gun how many sub-assemblies of the bike had to be re-tightened to avoid things falling apart???
Old 05-06-18, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Mixte indicating a women's frame is largely incorrect as alluded to by @verktyg. It literally translate to mixed, two, dual and in some cases like bicycles universal. Some companies only made them and did not differentiate.
Old 05-06-18, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
My question is which type of frame is this, a step through or a mixte? And what makes it one or the other? I know it is a lugged frame with double butted chrome molybdenum tubing. Given its ultimate use by a small light weight person I think in either form it will work well for them, perhaps with the addition of a triplizer. Thanks
"Mixte" does properly refer to bikes having no top tube, and a set of mid-stays that diverge from the head tube to each of the rear dropouts.

According to the JIS, that shape is classified as a "loop" type frame. (Note that they do not use the French spelling for "mixte", but the English word "mixed" which does not have quite the same unisex connotation that the French word does.)

The French classified frame shapes with their own names, as you might expect. Your frame shape does not appear in this partial list, but I have seen quite a few Italian frames with that shape, including from Cinelli.

Old 05-07-18, 07:26 AM

Thanks Ghrumpy I will copy and add your post to my file on this bike. Now I will have to look up Italian and Cinelli frames for this style of "Loop" frame as you've made me curious. Though as I think about it I am not surprised as I believe this is a a late 70s early 80s bike and Japan was both copying and improving on Italian components and frame design during this time period as the bike industry wars began.
Old 05-07-18, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks Ghrumpy I will copy and add your post to my file on this bike. Now I will have to look up Italian and Cinelli frames for this style of "Loop" frame as you've made me curious. Though as I think about it I am not surprised as I believe this is a a late 70s early 80s bike and Japan was both copying and improving on Italian components and frame design during this time period as the bike industry wars began.
Try looking up "Cinelli Riviera Donna" for starters. That was the model name.

By the way, I just noticed the "Bell Saw" type frame in the JIS pictures and wondered WTH did they get that name from. Then I saw the French version which is the "Berceau." Bell Saw is simply the Japanese transliteration of Berceau (which means "cradle.")
Old 05-07-18, 08:19 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts

verktyg, thanks for a great post, always something to learn about the history of bikes. Wonder after firing the machine gun how many sub-assemblies of the bike had to be re-tightened to avoid things falling apart???
Nothing about that looks like a realistically deployable weapon system. "A nice idea, but..."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-08-18, 07:50 AM

From a 1960s Cinelli to a late 70s early 80s Nishiki I think it's clear where Nishiki drew its design from. Negotiating with the LBS in Kansas to get the Nishiki shipped to the Northwest wish me luck. Thanks Ghrumpy.
Old 07-10-18, 06:13 PM
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

From a 1960s Cinelli to a late 70s early 80s Nishiki I think it's clear where Nishiki drew its design from. Negotiating with the LBS in Kansas to get the Nishiki shipped to the Northwest wish me luck. Thanks Ghrumpy.

That is one lovely bicycle! I have a mixte and step through. I cannot step through the mixte/have fallen trying to. Took the rack off the mixte/put on the step through-no problems. Both ride equally well....just can't step through a mixte-guess Im too short. I do not find an abundance of step throughs anywhere.
Old 07-11-18, 07:56 AM

juls lovely step through, as you say finding a vintage one is a search. What make is yours? Beautiful chrome lugs on the head tube.and looks to be a triple?
Old 07-11-18, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is "Mixte" pronounced?

Mixtee.....OR.......Mixt ?
Old 07-11-18, 11:20 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Meext.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-29-18, 06:08 AM
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
juls lovely step through, as you say finding a vintage one is a search. What make is yours? Beautiful chrome lugs on the head tube.and looks to be a triple?
It is a 1972 Maino. 2x5
Old 08-29-18, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by RosyRambler

I do believe it is pronounced "meext".
Old 08-29-18, 09:17 AM

Thanks for feedback and lovely bike, funny thing that got a quoted email as just this morning I started looking at the restoration, still two years away to allow Grand Daughter to grow. But today I will talk to builder friend on chain rings, and spindle length to make this a triple.II have a 42T triplizer and a 26T small chain ring. I would like to have a 46T,42T, 26T front chain rings to go with the 34T 5 speed freewheel. But will the Sun Tour V Compe front derailleur swing a 20 tooth gap, from what I've found its good for 18T. Grand daughter lives in hilly river valley terrain with some steep climbs to get to home, the 26 x 34 will be a blessing.
Old 05-19-19, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mixte, mix or mixed, all for the same design configuration. Pronounced as mixt. Always made of steel and only used for a sport or racing bike, randoneur and these days also for single speed/fixies. The original design comes from France and the bikes were very popular in the late senenties and the eighties. Have a great revival last years due to the attractive design and very ridgit and stiff construction comparing to aluminium modern style frames. Also seen as unisex bikes.
Old 05-19-19, 03:35 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Then there is the Faux Mixte

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-19-19, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautyfull one! The step height is according to a mixte, french users style, doesn't need to be a double bar as a lot of people think. ( Iam new here, still can't post pics)
Old 05-19-19, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Nice short article on mixte frames from 2012 - https://momentummag.com/mixte-vintag...sh-city-bikes/
Old 05-19-19, 04:50 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by RosyRambler

I've always heard it pronounced mixtee. It may be a regional thing. If you look up the definition, you'll find both pronunciations cited as correct, depending on which dictionary...
Old 05-20-19, 05:47 AM

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Then there is the Faux Mixte
According to that French chart, that would be a "Sport", non?
Likes For mixteup:
Old 05-20-19, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Back to the original question, "step-through" is a generic term used for all ladies' frame styles, while "mixte" is a specific style of step-through frame. Therefore, all mixte frames are step-through frames, but all not step-through frames are mixte.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-20-19, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
According to that French chart, that would be a "Sport", non?
Oui, but in English usage, it's way too generic a word for such a specific design. It needs its own buzzword. Trixte, twixte? Esp. since the ones I've seen are not French bikes.

As for pronunciation, the proper French pronunciation would be (anglo-phonically) "meekst". But there is context / usage to consider. Is a Peugeot a "meekst", and a Schwinn a "mix-tee"? Do we drive a Ford "coop", but a Renault "coo-pay"? Do we worship at "No-tra Domm", but study at "Noter Dame"?

(I did overhear a dude at the bike co-op, at a one-on-one workshop, tell a young lady that the bike she brought in was a mixte -- "or, as the French would say, 'mixTAY'." I opted not to spoil his authoritative moment....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.