Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Valgan, Super Vitus 971

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Valgan, Super Vitus 971

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 03:02 PM

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
If the bike has been sitting unused for a long time it’s very likely the grease in the headset, bottom bracket and hubs is congealed and hardened- all of those should be cleaned, checked for pitting & wear, possibly the loose bearings should be replaced, regreased and reassembled. The brake pads are probably hard as a rock and ought to be replaced with new Kool Stop pads. Looks like the brake cables need replacing, probably the tires and tubes, too. Chain should be cleaned and re-lubed. The Delrin Simplex derailleurs are prone to cracking and have a less-than-stellar reputation, but if they’re intact it’s worth cleaning and adjusting them and just using them (until they eventually do crack….).

But one step at a time…. Start by cleaning with dish-soap, some rags and warm water. A little WD-40 can help with crusted-up grease and grime, BUT be careful not to get any solvents on those foil Valgan stickers- I used a rag that still had a little WD40 on it to wipe the seat-tube and the image on the sticker almost completely disappeared. Not a big deal in my case as I was 99% sure I was going to be repainting.

Here's a recent thread with LOTS of info on dealing with old/rusty/pitted chrome.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 06-01-22, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Vintage Valgan , Giant Revolt Advanced, Trek 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Awesome, Thanks.
Old 06-09-22, 11:49 AM

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Main decals applied, waiting on the Super Vitus tubing decals from Velocals so I can clear-coat. Original idea was to stick with as much 'stock' on this build as possible (though needing a new BB & RD...), and try to scare up the missing bits from the rear Maillard 700 hub and build up some 700c wheels with them. Striking out on the parts I need for the hubs, and now Velo Orange is having a 25%-off summer sale (SIZZLIN25 is the discount code, FYI), so I'm thinking of pivoting to a 650B conversion..... New hubs, rims, BB for under $300.... I've got an old set of Weinmann Vanquiere calipers..... hmm.

Last edited by ehcoplex; 06-09-22 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 06-09-22, 12:27 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looking Great! Keep posting pics.
Old 12-29-22, 02:51 PM

Current state-of-affairs update....
The BB cups were badly pitted, so I'm working on getting that sorted. I thought I would build this up with 650b wheels and give it to a riding buddy, but that hasn't worked out. It originally had 27" wheels and nothing has the reach necessary to go 650b on this- I test fit Tektro 559s, Weinmann Vainqueur, Dia Compe 750s.. But it can clear 700x35c, so that'll do. Had to swap out the Mafac Competition brakes for Racers just to get the reach for 700c wheels. I had hoped to find the bits needed to complete the Maillard 700 hubs that came with the bike (missing the rear axle and a seal), but no luck with that so just built up a set with some Shimano hubs I had and polished Sun M13ii rims. These aren't the chainrings I'll end up with, just thrown on temporarily. I was going to set it up with a Red Clover triplizer, but now I think I'll stay with a double.

Last edited by ehcoplex; 12-29-22 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-29-22, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
This made me laugh, because when I looked at the pictures, the first thing I thought was, "hey, it's still mostly covered with paint--I might just clean it up and leave it alone."

Like they say, "there is no bad paint original paint, just unappreciative owners,"

Okay, maybe it's just me that says that.
does not apply in the car world often.
I have a white car that the paint is lifting off the primer. I am going to have to block sand it off, primer/ sealer it, prime it then respray.
not looking forward to it but I like the car.
Old 01-08-23, 12:32 PM

Calling it ‘done’- at least for now. It’s (way) too small for me, so I’ll have to wait until spring when my main (& shorter) riding pal returns from wintering in a warmer place. Even with a 32t large cog the gearing is too high for where I am so I’m hoping by some miracle I’ll stumble upon a 37t for the Stronglight (or eventually splurge for one from Red Clover). She started out in very rough shape & certainly restoring this bike was far, far from being economically ‘smart’, but it was fun and the Vitus 971 frame is quite light.

(sorry for the direct sunlight and busy background- not the ideal kind of day to shoot a bike, and rural upstate NY in the winter doesn't provide the best of backdrops...)
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 01-08-23, 12:45 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
restoring this bike was far, far from being economically ‘smart’, but it was fun and the Vitus 971 frame is quite light.
If it was fun and rewarding, your riding partner enjoys it too, then it was worth every penny IMHO. And it looks like it came a long way too compared to the earlier pictures.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-01-23, 07:52 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Valgan looks amazing! I love the brown bar tape with the blue contrast. I think I'm going to copy that look!
Likes For Guttooth71: