Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I put 37-584 tyres on a 559 rim?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can I put 37-584 tyres on a 559 rim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 09:11 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Continental can call it whatever they want. That doesn't mean that tire will measure 28" in diameter.
28" was the original designation for 700C before the French metricized it. The clouds you are shouting at are all dead by this point.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-03-23, 12:33 AM

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The 27.5” designation is a very recent development. The 650B wheel has been around for a very long time but it wasn’t called the “27.5er” (a mouthful) until the last 10 to 15 years. Mountain bikers can’t seem to deal with metric.
I read something a few years ago on why they decided to call it the “27.5er”. It was to alleviate any confusion on bicycle tire sizing. I thought to myself: "My dude, you are just adding more fuel to the dumpster fire that is bicycle tire/rim sizing".

True story.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 04-03-23, 06:04 AM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Hard to argue that 28" isn't an "actual" size when at least one current and a number of former bicycle tire manufacturers have sold tires clearly labeled 28". Again:

Quoting from the Sheldon Brown tire size chart, for "28 x decimal":

Some German tire companies use this non-standard designation for 622 mm ("700C").
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
28" was the original designation for 700C before the French metricized it. The clouds you are shouting at are all dead by this point.
Well yeah, 28" is the actual size for one specific width of tire using a 622mm wheel. Sounds like the old joke about the stopped clock being correct twice a day.

I'm not letting these clouds off the hook!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-04-23, 11:38 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I read something a few years ago on why they decided to call it the “27.5er”. It was to alleviate any confusion on bicycle tire sizing. I thought to myself: "My dude, you are just adding more fuel to the dumpster fire that is bicycle tire/rim sizing".

True story.
Yea, someone really didn’t think about that one. I can’t tell you the number of people I’ve dealt with that come in asking for a 27” tire when they mean a 650B (584mm) tire.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-23, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Lombard
Well yeah, 28" is the actual size for one specific width of tire using a 622mm wheel. Sounds like the old joke about the stopped clock being correct twice a day.

I'm not letting these clouds off the hook!
That’s the way it is for all tires. A 622mm rim only has a 700mm outside tire diameter on it when it is used with a 39mm tire. A 700x23 tire is 32mm short of 700mm (622mm+ 2(23mm)= 668mm). All tires sizes are based on the outside diameter of one specific width of tire on the rim. All of the tire sizes are based on archaic systems. There are 5 different tires with the designation of 26”. The rim size ranges from the (old) standard 559mm mountain bike to 599mm but they are all called 26”. Using 28” is just one more archaic usage that happens to be more Eurocentric than something found in the US.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-04-23, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Hard to argue that 28" isn't an "actual" size when at least one current and a number of former bicycle tire manufacturers have sold tires clearly labeled 28". Again:

Quoting from the Sheldon Brown tire size chart, for "28 x decimal":

Some German tire companies use this non-standard designation for 622 mm ("700C").
And, to confuse the problem even further, the 28” designation is applied to 635mm rims as well. Fractional but, again, more confusion.

Likes For cyccommute: