Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dusk/night riding: do you wear eye protection

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dusk/night riding: do you wear eye protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 10:55 AM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I wear saftey glasses day and night, bugs have a zillion little nastys all over them, I had a regular fly smack me in the eye and resulted in a nasty infection! I dont want to get into detail but the next time you see a fly take a peek at what its perched on and more than likely eating......OK, now imagine that in your eye!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-15-08, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Yep I always have something over my eyes while riding.

i figger i only got 2 of em and I'd like to keep them. On the road, I've had rocks, insects, etc leave marks on my glasses. Much prefer to have a mark on the glasses than on my eyeball

Cheers
Old 01-15-08, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I usually wear regular, old glasses, but sometimes if I'm doing a lot of day riding, I put in the contacts so I can where my sunglasses. Then, when the sun goes down, I have no eye protection, and, since my Greenways tend to run parallel to streams, it's gnat city. I may have to look into some other eye protection for when I have my contacts in.
Old 01-15-08, 01:41 PM
Back after a long absence

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Speedster 3-speed, Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not really. Sunglasses when needed and goggles if it's misty or raining. Other than that I just hang 'em out. Not a lot of bugs here (except in the summer, when it's light and I'm wearing the shades) and the grime on the roads keeps the dust stuck to the ground.
Old 01-15-08, 01:46 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clear ones if I remember - normally nothing though (usually cursing myself when I get something in my eye....again )
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 01-15-08, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear something. Have photocromatics glasses that darken with sun and also a Nashbar pair with interchangable lenses. My problem is that in cold weather how do I wear them with ear protection. If the ear pieces are over my cap frequently the angle the glasses sit at is awkward. If under the cap, they tend to fog more easily and to let cold air in under the hat. Would like to find some smaller goggles.
Old 01-15-08, 01:51 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Always. I wear corrective lenses, so need glasses to see clearly, but I wouldn't ride without them anyway. Glasses keep bugs and grit out of eyes, and in cold weather will keep your eyes from watering. Yellow lenses work great in low-light conditions but clear is also good.
Old 01-15-08, 02:15 PM

Bikes: Commuter: Stolen Red Kinesis frame - 26*1.9" Slicks "La Zorra" Touring: Steel frame Shimano600 gruppo 700*38 slicks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always use a clear or ambar polycarbonate lenses with UV protection when riding my bike, nigth and day.....
Old 01-15-08, 02:57 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Always. I'll put on my clear lens glasses for short rides when I won't bother with a helmet!
Old 01-15-08, 03:08 PM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, not lots of bugs in CO. It's dry and pretty easy goin'. I wear them in the non-winter months simply because of sunlight and on really snowy days with blue or amber lenses, whichever kills the flat light and brings out some depth for me, and also because graupel is seriously un-fun in yer eyes.

At night I go glasses-less. Clear lenses would do no justice for me.
Old 01-15-08, 03:26 PM
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear safety glasses -- the kind you use for woodworking. Clear at night and tinted during daylight (like that ever happens). When I take my helmet off, I just stick the glasses in before I hang it on the bar or take it inside.
Old 01-15-08, 03:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wear clear glasses that I picked up at the LBS. $10 at their semi-annual sale, $20 regular price. They work great and are cheap enough to buy a new pair every season without breaking the bank.
Old 01-15-08, 03:42 PM
Wet Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived in Colorado I had many pairs of sunglasses. I think I've lost them all now or they got washed away in the rain.

I don't like wearing glasses in the rain and it rains most days now. I really don't seem to notice not having any.
Old 01-15-08, 04:13 PM
Just a geek

Bikes: LHT, Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always. I got a pair of Native brand frames that come with 3 sets of lenses. Dark for full day light, yellow works under nearly any conditions (though not ideal at times, much better than nothing) and clear.

I've had a rock shoot out from tire then ricochet of a curb and hit the edge of the lens. worth every penny just from that. Also keep my eyes from drying out so much. I wear contacts and it is nearly impossible to go any decent speed and not have them dry out.
Old 01-15-08, 04:30 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clear goggles at night and cover my nose and mouth with mesh material to keep from sucking down the bugs.
Old 01-15-08, 06:29 PM
Dave

Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to wear corrective lenses. Tonight they saved me from possible eye damage. Planted trees right along side the mup are over growing and I got slapped good in the face by branch covered with leaves. It hit my helmet first with loud whack, then my forehead and above and cheek below my right eye.

I admit I ride much too fast for my current lighting. I would doubly recommend eye protection for those that wear contacts.
Old 01-15-08, 07:52 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep! At all times. Dark during daylight and amber or clear in the evening or at night.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 01-15-08, 08:02 PM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Right now, since it's dark on ther way home and I'm not on for long in the morning, I'm wearing clear lenses. Once the time change comes back, I will either go to the dark lenses or order a new amber lens (they broke last fall).
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 01-15-08, 08:17 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. There are often clouds of gnats along my routes so I always wear eye protection.
Old 01-15-08, 08:18 PM
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always wear eye glasses. I have a pair of photo-chrome anti-fogging glasses. I wear them all the time. Day, night, dont matter. A bit expensive (around 30-35 bucks) but worth my eyes I guess
Old 01-15-08, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smith & Wesson Magnums, clear (night) and gold mirrored (all other conditions). Cheap enough to not worry about losing or scratching, just as stylish and aero as the mega dollar ones, and gives excellent coverage protection.

Have a few Olympic Flame models that I like too and has many of the same features of the S&W's. The nosepiece conforms to your nose and is made of a non-slip material.

Seems like cars/trucks kick up more stuff when it starts getting dark and I want the protection.
Old 01-15-08, 09:54 PM

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always. I wear saftey glasses, tinted in the day and clear at night. Never mind the bugs, I ride along the shoulder of a busy secondary highway, i've been hit with debris from passing semi's. Not in the eye mind you but i intend to keep it that way. I'd much sooner ride without a helmet.

Safety glasses are fairly cheap and if i must say (in all Fredliness) stylish these days.
Old 01-15-08, 10:08 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b_young
I do, I use yellow/amber lenses. I can actually see more with them on.
Absolutely.
Old 01-15-08, 10:09 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Safety glasses at night, maybe sunglasses in bright light. I'm looking around for a pair of amber specs, I hear they're the best thing since 26" slicks.

My bands:
Old 01-15-08, 10:36 PM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smith Moab H/P (three interchangable shields and a prescription insert) always.

There is a lot of debris kicked up around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.