Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The best state to ride in

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The best state to ride in

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 05:26 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of the states I've ridden in, I'd pick California. Northern California was my favorite. I'd say Nevada is the most underrated. I've only done decent riding in 12 different states, so I have a lot more to see.

Of the states I haven't ridden in, I probably look forward to riding in Colorado the most.
Old 05-21-10, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Anyone watch the Tour of California on TV this week? Case closed.
uh huh.

Old 05-21-10, 05:46 AM

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New York. Hmm, while I love my home state I have to say the winters can be rough. I don't mind the cold, but with the snow and ice I was usually forced inside to ride for a few months each year.

Now I'm living in NC and I didn't ride my rollers once this year. I definitely don't like the two months of 90+ temps, but then again, they beat 2 months on rollers. I find the drivers to be okay, not awful, not great. Until I live in Portland or Amsterdam I don't think I'm ever going to be gushing about drivers.

As for the new law...I have to check that out more, but it is no more than two wide, correct? During group rides I've never ridden more than two wide, outside of when exchanging at the front and it is four wide for a bit. Well...I guess it is four wide while the outer/inner drift to the back. But, what is a driver going to do, call 911? I've never seen a cop out when riding country roads, only in the city. I can't say I think this is going to be a big deal.

NC has the most miles of paved roads out of any U.S. state, right? I wish they'd invest in some pavement for shoulders on more roads. It's generally white line and jagged edge.
Old 05-21-10, 06:45 AM
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NC isn't bad in places, but I'm going with Cali.
Old 05-21-10, 08:00 AM
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
I've only ever ridden in Virginia, and I think it is near the top, but judging from ride videos, pictures, and tv coverage of the ATOC, I vote California. One of these days.....
Old 05-21-10, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Well it sure as H*** isn't North Carolina, the state that's about to try and regulate pace lines. Yeah you read correctly, they're voting on a law to make it illegal to ride more than 2 across and, when a car approached from the rear, you have to go to a single line. It doesn't matter that such a law makes no sense, they're going to vote on it anyway. So it sure isn't NC.
That's the law in CT and it doesn't slow us down. You want to legally ride 3 across with cars behind you ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-21-10, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West Virginia... empty roads; 1000 ft. of climbing every 10 miles no matter what direction you go; small towns
Old 05-21-10, 08:59 AM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm betting there are beautiful rides in every state - certainly in every state I've ridden in. But if I had to pick one, I'd have to say California. Best combination of terrain, road quality, driver awareness, weather, etc.
Old 05-21-10, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
California. It's so big and diverse it's hardly a fair comparison. If it were on the east coast it would be 12 states. No matter what kind of terrain or scenery you like, it's in California.

And if you get a windbreaker you're set for 12 months of riding out of the year. Contrary to what ToC coverage implies, even rain isn't much of a problem in the winter, and 55 and rain sounds pretty nice in a lot of states in January. Although like everthing else, the temperature depends on where you are. I did most of my riding in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, with some around Napa valley, no need to stop riding or get special gear all year long.
Old 05-21-10, 09:16 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by redefine
West Virginia... empty roads; 1000 ft. of climbing every 10 miles no matter what direction you go; small towns
West Viriginia is a great place to ride. The Highland Scenic Highway is similar to the Skyline Drive, with 1/50th of the traffic.

10 percent of the State is National Forest. Which translates to lots of backroads with no traffic.

The Cheat Mountain Challenge route is about as good as it gets for road cycling.

All that said, I'd still take California (if I get to pick where in California), Colorado, and Oregon as 1,2,3.

But West Virginia is fantastic for the east and highly underated.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-21-10, 09:19 AM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The answer is obvious.
Old 05-21-10, 09:28 AM
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smith-great
Minnesota. Some of the best cyclists I know are from there and they don't let the pesky 9 month winter interfere with cycling year round.

I vote Nebraska off the list. Too flat and WAY too much wind.
I can completely agree with the wind part, but flat? Not where I live. Next time you come up north, IM me and I'll take you on some rides to prove you wrong.
Old 05-21-10, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grace
Old 05-21-10, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't choose between CA and CO.
Old 05-21-10, 09:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Well it sure as H*** isn't North Carolina, the state that's about to try and regulate pace lines. Yeah you read correctly, they're voting on a law to make it illegal to ride more than 2 across and, when a car approached from the rear, you have to go to a single line. It doesn't matter that such a law makes no sense, they're going to vote on it anyway. So it sure isn't NC.
In some areas of the country this would be considered common courtesy. Perhaps you are not putting cycling's best foot forward. I'm sure the legislature is just a bunch of rednecks.
Old 05-21-10, 09:50 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
I think if you did a little research, you would find the proposed NC statute is already the law in many states, and some states are more restrictive in not allowing you to ride two abreast at all.

On an open road, with limited exceptions, such as taking a sbstandard lane, or taking a lane to turn, you shouldn't be riding more than 2 abreast, and you should be single file, and as far right as practical if you're impeding traffic.

And you can even ride a double paceline under that statute, as long as you're not impeding traffic.

There's nothing unreasonable in that statute, and the fact that it allows two abreast in appropriate circumstances is a good,, not a bad thing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-21-10, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lived in both CA and CO and they get my vote - although I had to work 24/7 to afford living in both places so lacked sufficient time to ride
Old 05-21-10, 10:14 AM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28635 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Any votes for North Dakota?
Old 05-21-10, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azncarbos
I'm going to say California and Colorado.
Living in Colorado now, I can say I agree. Moving to California in the fall, so I hope you're right!
Old 05-21-10, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
Living in Colorado now, I can say I agree. Moving to California in the fall, so I hope you're right!
Where ya going? I moved from CA to CO b/c the rock climbing here in boulder is closer to the jobs, the cycling is great both places. There's probably some CA with bad cycling, but there's some CO w/bad cycling too.
Old 05-21-10, 12:56 PM

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
california without a doubt- riding in sonoma county was pure bliss
Old 05-21-10, 01:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am moving to Columbia, MO for my PhD program in the fall and it definitely looks like good cycling. Lots of cool people and everyone has a bike and spends time riding around, which is awesome. I'm from Indiana and while Northern IN (where I live) is mostly flat, the lakeshore has some nice rides. Bloomington, IN and the surrounding (Brown County, Nashville, Bean Blossom) has some awesome rides as well that I did with my parents as a kid. Traveling around and camping I can also vouch for upstate New York (amazing rides, views and adorable towns along the way), Colorado (what is there to say?), and West Virginia. If you love hills, these areas are great.
Old 05-21-10, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamabb
I gotta say New York

The answer is easy: CA.

And yes I'm quite biased.
Old 05-21-10, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamabb
there are less "elitists" who won't even spare a wave or nod.
So, I'm an elitist if I don't nod or wave all the time?

Cool, I've always wanted to be an elitist.
Old 05-21-10, 02:01 PM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best State... Anger, Rage, Envy.... helps me alot.
Then as I get on and ride...it usually turns to bliss..............ahhhh the road

Last edited by jasandalb; 05-21-10 at 02:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.