Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calxes9
Thanks T-Mar, and thanks Bianchigirll for posting pics of my s/n A442 Bianchi EL pearl white frame purchased in 2007 (see 6 posts above on 8/20/2019). I went looking elsewhere for mentions of similar frames and found this thread from 2010 in which the owner shows pics of an identical pearl white w/red EL frame. The initial post title is "Bianchi EL- looking for some insight/info" by Rupert on 6/1/2010 (I'm not allowed to send URLs yet)

Rupert's EL was apparently sold w/o fork as was mine, hence his Ritchey fork. Way back then Bianchigirll said his was the first Bianchi frame she'd seen with a number tab brazed under the top tube, mine also has one. T-Mar says re. my frame it's curious that there's no Campione del Mondo sticker typically found on 1994 models - it doesn't appear that Rupert's frame has such a sticker either. It's great to have found a twin and wonder where these two frames fit into the Bianchi cosmos. I'd never part with mine, just want to know more about it.

Hi Calxes. I have the same bike in the same color with the same number tab No Campione del Mondo sticker either. Happy to share pics with you if you are still on this forum!
Old 08-30-22, 01:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calxes9
Hi folks, I'm kinda new to this and hope I'm posting correctly. I'm asking about my Bianchi 61cm pearl white frame (w/o fork) sold to me new-in-box as a “1994 Reparto Corse” by the Frans Fietsen shop, Tilburg Netherlands in 2007:

Serial number is A442. Columbus EL tubing, chrome stays, unbranded near-vertical dropouts, internal rear brake cable, internal rear derailleur cable, half-chrome front derailleur hanger, cast engraved Bianchi BB shell with reinforcing tangs and raised “B”s on both sides, “B” engraved in head tube/down tube lug, “Bianchi” engraved in brake bridge, no pump peg on head tube, race number tab brazed underneath top tube near front. No Reparto Corse decal, no World Championship decal (they were included in the box).

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post photos yet. Does the SN signify anything? Maybe 1994 and Reparto Corse are correct? I haven't seen the pearl white often, is it unusual? Thanks!

BTW, my serial number is A787 and there is another number "58" which I assume is the frame size in CM.
Old 08-30-22, 05:05 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by candrus
I'm getting ready to sell this Superleggera on Bike Forums and wanted to check with the group to see if you agree with me about the model year. My primary evidence of it being 1988 is that the serial number is 8.F 5632 and that it has the Chorus groupset. Here are some other details, along with photographs. What's your verdict?

Frame size; 58 cm center to center, top tube = 57 cm
Frame tubing: Columbus SL/SP
Crankset; Campagnolo Chorus, 42-52
Brakes; Campagnolo Chorus
Derailleurs; Campagnolo Chorus
Shifters; Campagnolo Chorus
Headset; Campagnolo Chorus
Freewheel; Regina 7spd,12–24
Hubs; Campagnolo Chorus
Rims; Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elite
Tires; Michelon Pro Race
Handlebars; ITM mod Mondial
Stem; Nitto Technomic Riser
Pedals; generic
Seatpost; generic
Seat; generic
Beautiful Bianchi. Yes it is an ‘88 and a very very clean one at that.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-01-22, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
A shout out to this forum!
What frame did I buy, serial number is: 7.A 1403. Attached are the best pictures I have until the frame arrives.
The frame was bought in Poland, so EU market.
Much obliged.

Edit: based on what I have read on the thread so far, it seems to be a Tre Tubi Formula 2 frameset, waiting for experts to chime in.

Last edited by nenad; 11-26-22 at 05:24 PM. Reason: to add info
Old 09-02-22, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm hoping that someone here can help me remember the model of my steel frame Bianchi, which I bought new in Japan in 1993.
I found the Bianchi 1993 catalog for Japan online (I had a copy of the same catalog many years ago) and I think the bike I purchased was the "Virata" model, based on what I remember paying.
But, that was nearly 30 years ago, and it's certainly possible that my memory is faulty.
The serial No. appears to be "93J1049".

(Can't seem to upload photos even in the Community section.)

Thanks!
Old 09-03-22, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by nenad
A shout out to this forum!
What frame did I buy, serial number is: 7.A 1403. Attached are the best pictures I have until the frame arrives.
The frame was bought in Poland, so EU market.
Much obliged.

Edit: based on what I have read on the thread so far, it seems to be a Tre Tubi Formula 2 frameset, waiting for experts to chime in.
The serial number indicates that it's a 1987 model. Shimano had introduced 2nd generation New 105 that year, so the 1st generation 105 components would not appear to be original. There's no front derailleur braze-on, so Formula II is the highest that I would expect. However, it could lower given that it's an Italian manufactured, European market model. If the seat post is 27.2mm, then it would be Formula II. If it's smaller, then it's a lower grade tubeset.
Old 09-05-22, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number indicates that it's a 1987 model. Shimano had introduced 2nd generation New 105 that year, so the 1st generation 105 components would not appear to be original. There's no front derailleur braze-on, so Formula II is the highest that I would expect. However, it could lower given that it's an Italian manufactured, European market model. If the seat post is 27.2mm, then it would be Formula II. If it's smaller, then it's a lower grade tubeset.
Hi T-Mar,

thank you for the info, much appreciated. It is a 27.2 mm seat post so it's a Formula II. Can't wait to build it up.

Nenad
Old 09-08-22, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

First time poster, I've just inherited a Bianchi from a from friend who moved away. Will likely need to sell as my friend is 6 feet and I'm 5'8", so the frame is way too big.

I've spent some time perusing the forum looking for clues as to its identity, my best guess is a Bici II, but hopefully someone here can confirm (or correct) me!

Not sure that all of the components are original, but here's what I've identified so far:

High Manganese Steel frame
Front derailleur: Suntour ARx
Crankset: Sugino GT
Brakes: Dia-Compe 500
Serial Number LS322414 (I think, was a bit hard to read)

I'm in Canada in case that helps.

Unable to post photos as I'm too new, but have uploaded (hopefully) relevant photos to my user album.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-22, 11:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What year is my Bianchi Grizzy??

Hoping to learn the year of my Bianchi Grizzly. Serial # is ES839919. Appreciate any help.
Old 10-29-22, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by DCSKYLER21
Hoping to learn the year of my Bianchi Grizzly. Serial # is ES839919. Appreciate any help.
Japanese manufacture, May 1988.
Old 10-29-22, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by pf_van
Hi All,

First time poster, I've just inherited a Bianchi from a from friend who moved away. Will likely need to sell as my friend is 6 feet and I'm 5'8", so the frame is way too big.

I've spent some time perusing the forum looking for clues as to its identity, my best guess is a Bici II, but hopefully someone here can confirm (or correct) me!

Not sure that all of the components are original, but here's what I've identified so far:

High Manganese Steel frame
Front derailleur: Suntour ARx
Crankset: Sugino GT
Brakes: Dia-Compe 500
Serial Number LS322414 (I think, was a bit hard to read)

I'm in Canada in case that helps.

Unable to post photos as I'm too new, but have uploaded (hopefully) relevant photos to my user album.

Thanks!
That's an excellent match for the Canadian market 1984 Bianchi Bici II. The frame was manufactured in Japan during December 1983.
Old 10-29-22, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Japanese manufacture, May 1988.
TMar- Thanks so much! Good to know. Appreciate the info and your help.
Old 10-29-22, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an excellent match for the Canadian market 1984 Bianchi Bici II. The frame was manufactured in Japan during December 1983.
Thanks T-Mar, much appreciated!
Old 11-06-22, 04:26 PM

Bikes: 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, 1961 or 1962 Geminiani Special, 1990 British Eagle Touristique

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Found this steel/lugged Advantage hybrid waiting at the curb for trash pickup. Guessing sometime in the 90's, but any more precise info?

Old 11-07-22, 09:08 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by chip.hedler
Found this steel/lugged Advantage hybrid waiting at the curb for trash pickup. Guessing sometime in the 90's, but any more precise info?

Looks like you have a ‘92.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-07-22, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by chip.hedler
The serial number format is consistent with Hodaka of Taiwan. Unfortunately, it's partially hidden by the gear cable and plastic cable guide. However, it looks like it may be H1J09649? Please confirm. If so, it was manufactured late enough in the 1991 calendar year that it would typically be a 1992 model, as previously stated by BG.
Old 11-08-22, 12:29 AM
B17

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Looking for the year of manufacture. I have not seen this frameset badged as a Volpe, but I'm almost sure I have owned an Advantage with this tubing and features (I've also owned an Advantage that was much heavier and did not have the CX cable routing). Being stripped atm- it'll get a proper celeste refin with 1K and 2K clear in a few weeks. Tange Infinity in Superset 2 construction. Seat tube is 52cm c-t. Top tube is 55.5 c-c (21.75"), 120mm head tube, 26.8mm seatpost. Serial under BB reads H1L0013356

Thanks to anyone who can help me put a year to this frame.

Old 11-08-22, 02:36 AM
Bianchi Goddess

B17 That looks like a ‘92 frame but maybe only the headset and seatpost are original

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-08-22, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by B17
Looking for the year of manufacture. I have not seen this frameset badged as a Volpe, but I'm almost sure I have owned an Advantage with this tubing and features (I've also owned an Advantage that was much heavier and did not have the CX cable routing). Being stripped atm- it'll get a proper celeste refin with 1K and 2K clear in a few weeks. Tange Infinity in Superset 2 construction. Seat tube is 52cm c-t. Top tube is 55.5 c-c (21.75"), 120mm head tube, 26.8mm seatpost. Serial under BB reads H1L0013356

Thanks to anyone who can help me put a year to this frame.
As noted by BG in the previous post, this would be a 1992 model, as the frame was manufactured near the end of 1991 by a Taiwanese company called Hodaka. The only curious thing is the 0013356 segment of the serial number, as there are more characters than typical. Maybe double keystrokes?
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-08-22, 11:41 PM
B17

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
B17 That looks like a ‘92 frame but maybe only the headset and seatpost are original

Thanks so much for the catalog image and the info! Yeah, I'm sure there aren't many original parts left here, no problem. I was interested only in the frame for this build.

As noted by BG in the previous post, this would be a 1992 model, as the frame was manufactured near the end of 1991 by a Taiwanese company called Hodaka. The only curious thing is the 0013356 segment of the serial number, as there are more characters than typical. Maybe double keystrokes?
Thanks as well.
No, the number is as I typed it. I went back and checked.
Old 11-25-22, 05:39 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 520 - '94 Ferraroli Elegante - '95 Sunn 5000- '96 Decathlon Rockrider 700 - '21 Chiru Vagus Ti

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all,

Just got an (late) 90's MTB that I think to be a Bianchi (despite not being Celeste blue, could habe been resprayed?)
The green Bianchi gris and "DogBone" ahead stem made me think so. Also seat post integrated clamp (welded collard) looks typical of Bianchi frames.

It has a steel frame, no eyelets on dropouts nor seatstays, V-Brakes (no canti cable stop)
Downtube is not round but has an "evolutive" shape from round-ish on headtube to square/trapezoid on BB
Flat dropouts with a triangle cut-out , not plain , maybe forged but not ritchey type. No stamping

Components are probably not all original but period-correct components are the following
- DogBone ahead stem ("DogBone" decals with a bulldog)
- Stronglight ahead headset (probably 1-1/8, did not check)
- RS Indy XC fork (decals removed)
-Shimano LX brake levers
- Shimano STX-RC 3x8 shifters
- Shimano STX hubs on Mavic 238 rim

Serial number is on BB is:
F6 H49

Or is it "P6"?

I am quite frustrated because I had a look at 1995 to 1998 catalog and cannot find the right model!

I can't post pictures of links yet, this been my first message...

Thanks!

PS: Apologies for the potential mistakes, french speaker here.

Last edited by Sayemone; 11-25-22 at 05:45 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 11-25-22, 05:43 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Sayemone
Hi all,

Just got an (late) 90's MTB that I think to be a Bianchi (despite not being Celeste blue, could habe been resprayed?)
The green Bianchi gris and "DogBone" ahead stem made me think so. Also seat post integrated clamp (welded collard) looks typical of Bianchi frames.

Components are probably not all original but period-correct components are the following
- DogBone ahead stem ("DogBone" decals with a bulldog)
- Stronglight ahead headset (probably 1-1/8, did not check)
- RS Indy XC fork (decals removed)
-Shimano LX brake levers
- Shimano STX-RC 3x8 shifters
- Shimano STX hubs on Mavic 238 rim

Serial number is on BB is:
F6 H49

Or is it "P6"?

I am quite frustrated because I had a look at 1995 to 1998 catalog and cannot find the right model!

I can't post pictures of links yet, this been my first message...

Thanks!

PS: Apologies for the potential mistakes, french speaker here.

Welcome to the forums. Not all Bianchis are Celeste. Are you looking at the correct catalogs for your country/region?

Did you try Bikepedia?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-25-22, 07:03 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 520 - '94 Ferraroli Elegante - '95 Sunn 5000- '96 Decathlon Rockrider 700 - '21 Chiru Vagus Ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Bianchigirll,

Yes I did look at european catalogs... when they're available!
There is a german '96 catalog but I do not find a correspondance.

I also looked at your catalogs on Fb

Maybe the serial number can provide info at least on a year? That would help.

Is there a "rule" to decode it?
I feel that "H49" is the size. I did not measure it yet but being obviously an L (or M/L) size it would make sense.

I cannot access bikepedia, it is blocked at work and my personnal computer blocks it too (certificate issue)

Last edited by Sayemone; 11-25-22 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-25-22, 12:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
it might be the ‘97 Grizzly RC. It looks like it might have come as a frame only.

Missing picture - Grizzly RC

Missing picture - 1997 catalog - Equipment per bike

I found this post and it seems to be the missing '97 catalog!
Do you have the missing pages?

Based on description mine seems to be either a Peregrine or Denali.
It has Megaset frame, with forged dropouts (and a small triangular cutout in the dropouts)
Equipment is a mix of Peregine: STX-RC crankset and shifters, LX brake levers and rear derailleur, Indy XC fork, STX-RC hub on Mavic 238 rims.

Also the colour does not match... It is dark blue/violet.

I have found a picture of the exact same bike (except it is in Celeste Reparto Corse livery) but I can't post it yet... Nor quote your pictures.
Old 11-25-22, 05:19 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Sayemone
Hi Bianchigirll,

Yes I did look at european catalogs... when they're available!
There is a german '96 catalog but I do not find a correspondance.

I also looked at your catalogs on Fb

Maybe the serial number can provide info at least on a year? That would help.

Is there a "rule" to decode it?
I feel that "H49" is the size. I did not measure it yet but being obviously an L (or M/L) size it would make sense.

I cannot access bikepedia, it is blocked at work and my personnal computer blocks it too (certificate issue)
T-Mar might be able to help you figure it out. Pages are missing from my catalog?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.