Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I choose a new saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do I choose a new saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 09:56 AM
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 189 Posts
Why do cyclists who ride longer distances prefer saddles with less padding?
I think I don’t really understand how saddles work.
Old 07-20-23, 10:02 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I looked at all my old saddles, tried them all out for a time and then attempted to figure out what the good and bad things about those saddles where. I figured out the for me on long rides, I needed a saddle with minimal padding if any and a fairly flat profile from the rear to the nose. Selle Italia made my favorite, but I let it go with my bike that I gave it away. I'd have to dig to come up with the model. The saddle that came on my Tarmac is comfortable for short rides, but for long rides it cuts into the undersides of my legs a little, but not so bad that I've gotten an overwhelming urge to go saddle hunting again. I think it might have some gel padding which generally is good for short rides and not good for long rides.
I came back to cycling after almost a decade off while gaining a ton of weight, so nothing that used to work was good anymore. This meant not only finding a different saddle, but different chamois as well, and my conclusion was similar to yours... a thicker and wider saddle was great for a while until I worked back up to 50+ mile rides.

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
The first yhing I will be trying is to move my saddle forward and change the angle.
The saddle I have now isn’t junk. It’s a Specialized Body Geometry Toupe RBX. It should be good for me so it may simply not be adjusted correctly.
It doesn't matter if the saddle is high end if it's not the right shape for you, but you could be right that it's just not positioned quite right.

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Did you know that you can pm a MOD and they can edit thread titles, assuming that is how they have mod permissions set, if not then an admin can....
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread title fixed.
@#$%!
Old 07-20-23, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 85 Posts
Padding puts pressure on soft tissues. Your sit bones are what support your weight. Once you are accustomed to pressure on sit bones alone it really is more comfortable.
Old 07-20-23, 10:08 AM
Over the hill

I swear I was just reading a thread a few days ago where someone explained it well, but it has something to do with putting more pressure on the wrong places as the padding compresses (so it's not even "more" padding so much as "softer" padding). Chafing also becomes more of a problem, which happens when the material gives too much. You're rubbing your inner thighs against that thing like 80-100 times per minute, and apparently 15,000 times is ok but 20,000 is too much (I'm sure it varies from person to person).
Old 07-20-23, 10:53 AM
old newbie

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I came back to cycling after almost a decade off while gaining a ton of weight, so nothing that used to work was good anymore. This meant not only finding a different saddle, but different chamois as well, and my conclusion was similar to yours... a thicker and wider saddle was great for a while until I worked back up to 50+ mile rides.

It doesn't matter if the saddle is high end if it's not the right shape for you, but you could be right that it's just not positioned quite right.

@#$%!
Yeah, the thread title is no gouda now.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 07-20-23, 11:18 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,734 Times in 2,954 Posts
Sometimes it is the combination of saddle + shorts. I bought at least 6 saddles trying to find one to accommodate by boney butt for 60+ mile rides. The mondo padded one got the boot after a few short rides as did the more narrow widths and my pelvis isn’t that wide. Settled on a pretty comfy and wider saddle which could get me 40 or so miles but after 50 became painful. Then started buying various shorts/bibs until I found the right combination with my saddle. Now. 70+ miles are comfortable and pain free.

Nothing like more variables to make things more difficult. Or, it’s not just the cheese but the cracker you put it on.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-20-23, 12:16 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 749 Posts
Start with making sure your fit on the bike is right. In my case after that it's a matter of trial and error. I've found that the snub nose saddles work best for me.

Last edited by bruce19; 07-21-23 at 04:16 PM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-20-23, 12:24 PM
old newbie

They say the 155mm measurement of my sit bones was correct.
I never thought to look but under my saddle it says it is 145mm.
Is that 10mm difference enough to cause discomfort?
We raised the seat, tipped the nose up slightly and moved it forward. I will report back after I try it, which will be later after the temp drops under 100*.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 07-20-23 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 01:23 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Buy this immediately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14463711241...Bk9SR9rMicyuYg

Thank me later
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-20-23, 01:43 PM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,822 Posts
Old 07-20-23, 02:15 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by polaris obark
wth?
Old 07-20-23, 02:16 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Buy this immediately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14463711241...Bk9SR9rMicyuYg

Thank me later
I can’t find what width it is.
Old 07-20-23, 02:17 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 3,966 Times in 2,577 Posts
A bike shop in Portland has a saddle policy which is pretty amazing. They have a saddle library with about 25 different seats. Out on shelves. Well, all but the ones that are currently "taken out". Pay $25 and you get a library card. With it you can take out any one seat for a week. Don't like it? Return it and take out another. No limit. Find "the one"? Bring it back and they will sell you a new and boxed one and discount it that $25.

I'm thinking the Dallas/Fort Worth area has enough demand to support one shop with such a library.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-20-23, 02:34 PM
ignominious poltroon

wth?
It was called "The Shark." Some ideas about saddle comfort aren't what they are cracked up to be. I think it is discontinued for some reason.

155mm is mighty wide. Are you sure that is the Sitz bones spacing, and not their estimated saddle width? Mine's 120mm, and I am a bit of a lard-arse.

Try a Brooks B17. The 17 is for 17 cm = 170 mm. In general, you want the saddle to be at least 20mm wider than the ischial protuberance spacing, not narrower. If yours really is 155mm, and you are riding a 145mm saddle, it would feel like a foot in your arse.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-20-23, 02:46 PM
For The Fun of It

I can’t find what width it is.
It's a $200 seat for $40. Just buy it. I have turned at least a dozen people on to that saddle, and every one of them has been thrilled with it. Just buy it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-20-23, 02:51 PM
For The Fun of It

It's what they have conditioned themselves to. I let a bike shop talk me into a "performance" type seat one time. At the time I could ride 30-40 miles on a Specialized BG saddle and do okay. After 20 miles on that performance saddle, I had bruises over my sit bones. From there I went to an ISM endurance saddle and it got better. It improved more when I found these Cobbs on sale. I have them on 4 of my bikes and I have 4 brand new ones for when these wear out.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-20-23, 03:10 PM
ignominious poltroon

The problem is that a gushy gel-padded saddle will be squeezed at the contact points when you sit on it, and will redistribute toward the centerline of the saddle, placing pressure on the pudendal nerve.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-20-23, 03:21 PM
old newbie

It's a $200 seat for $40. Just buy it. I have turned at least a dozen people on to that saddle, and every one of them has been thrilled with it. Just buy it.
It does look like a good saddle but if it doesn’t fit me it doesn’t matter how cheap it is.
I am looking into it.
Old 07-20-23, 03:39 PM
old newbie

It's what they have conditioned themselves to. I let a bike shop talk me into a "performance" type seat one time. At the time I could ride 30-40 miles on a Specialized BG saddle and do okay. After 20 miles on that performance saddle, I had bruises over my sit bones. From there I went to an ISM endurance saddle and it got better. It improved more when I found these Cobbs on sale. I have them on 4 of my bikes and I have 4 brand new ones for when these wear out.
you have several of those saddles? Would you check to see what size they are and if they are all the same size?
Old 07-20-23, 03:47 PM
old newbie

I see several sellers on ebay selling those saddles, all for about the same price.
In every pic of the bottom sode it looks like the cover is coming off and the covers look stapled on.
What do yours look like?
Old 07-20-23, 03:54 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It was called "The Shark." Some ideas about saddle comfort aren't what they are cracked up to be. I think it is discontinued for some reason.

155mm is mighty wide. Are you sure that is the Sitz bones spacing, and not their estimated saddle width? Mine's 120mm, and I am a bit of a lard-arse.

Try a Brooks B17. The 17 is for 17 cm = 170 mm. In general, you want the saddle to be at least 20mm wider than the ischial protuberance spacing, not narrower. If yours really is 155mm, and you are riding a 145mm saddle, it would feel like a foot in your arse.
I will try measuring myself with a piece of cardboard box this weekend.
Old 07-20-23, 03:57 PM
For The Fun of It

I see several sellers on ebay selling those saddles, all for about the same price.
In every pic of the bottom sode it looks like the cover is coming off and the covers look stapled on.
What do yours look like?
They are all the same size. Of the 8 I have, 2 have a little gap where the material between the staples isn't glued down. One is new and the other has a lot of use. It's cosmetic.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-20-23, 04:00 PM
Over the hill

They say the 155mm measurement of my sit bones was correct.
I never thought to look but under my saddle it says it is 145mm.
Is that 10mm difference enough to cause discomfort?
We raised the seat, tipped the nose up slightly and moved it forward. I will report back after I try it, which will be later after the temp drops under 100*.
From what I've read, going too wide is better than going too narrow, which has been my personal experience as well.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
155mm is mighty wide. Are you sure that is the Sitz bones spacing, and not their estimated saddle width? Mine's 120mm, and I am a bit of a lard-arse. If yours really is 155mm, and you are riding a 145mm saddle, it would feel like a foot in your arse.
Although the amount of cushion is not necessarily related to how wide the sit bones are, 155 sit bone spacing is indeed extremely wide, and that would require a 175mm saddle minimum. I'm wondering if the OP misunderstood "they" and they meant that 155 is the right saddle size.

That's how saddles used to be made (by hand) before machines made everything look super clean. The cover would be cut from a pattern, wrapped around the saddle, pulled tight, and stapled into place. That would not dissuade me from buying it today. Edit: A quick search suggests the saddle is 145mm wide.
Old 07-20-23, 04:01 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5025 Post(s)
Liked 8,214 Times in 3,884 Posts
If that's the case, then it's not a $200 seat - LOL
Old 07-20-23, 04:24 PM
old newbie

They are all the same size. Of the 8 I have, 2 have a little gap where the material between the staples isn't glued down. One is new and the other has a lot of use. It's cosmetic.
Ok. I bought one from a different seller. He had a white saddle. It’s worth trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.