Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Speaking of llamas....I saw these folks while on tour in Montana riding a DF bike with my head held high.

I worked on a Llama ranch when i was in college -- this photo brings back memories

Oklahoma is widely known for horses and cows, so everyone in Stillwater (home of OSU) thought my rach owner was a kook. He probably was, but kooks are fun

I used to ride my DF to work 14 miles each way as a young Cat 3 who wanted to be a Cat 2
Old 08-25-22, 11:41 AM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
"supposed inadequacies of the DF design" Yet you know very well what they are, but wont admit them here. Hint: among others that is why there are hundreds of threads on DF bike seats and butt pain.
I would rather have saddle-induced butt pain (which I don't) than pain-in-the-butt recumbent evangelism. At least I can adjust the saddle to get rid of the constant nagging pain.

Plus, I can ride up hills.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-25-22, 11:50 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5017 Post(s)
Liked 8,206 Times in 3,881 Posts
So if we can be assured that if we would pass you, you would have your head crained up in an unnatural position at all times while you are riding-----------------right********************?
As I type this, while sitting in front of my computer in my office, I realize that my current torso and head position are not significantly different than while I'm riding my bike. I'm not uncomfortable at all, nor does it feel unnatural. This makes me wonder...Do you have neck mobility/flexibility issues that prevent it from working correctly?

Neither "crained", nor "unnatural", nor "staring at their front wheel". Just making use of the wonderful flexibility of the human neck...

Last edited by Eric F; 08-25-22 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 08-25-22, 12:39 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,416 Times in 7,231 Posts
"supposed inadequacies of the DF design" Yet you know very well what they are, but wont admit them here. Hint: among others that is why there are hundreds of threads on DF bike seats and butt pain.
...word. If you want to see butthurt, just go back and reread this thread.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-22, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I saw a guy riding a really tall penny farthing the other day. His head was a good 8 feet or so off the ground. Probably was a great view, but he didn't look like he wanted to be distracted.
... I claim diamond framed safety bicycles offer superior benefits over an 1870 design, such as comfort and view. I also suggest at least 50% of riders would benefit from what diamond framed safety bicycles offer.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-22, 12:54 PM

So if we can be assured that if we would pass you, you would have your head crained up in an unnatural position at all times while you are riding------------
....I know I will regret asking you this, but in for a penny farthing, in for a pound. Why on earth do you suppose this is the case for everyone who rides a standard, diamond framed, bicycle ? Rider positioning is very adjustable on such a bike, using a combination of adjustments to reach, stem height, saddle tilt and positioning, etc, etc. I can be as forward leaning or as upright on a safety bicycle as I care to be. The only reason people adopt more forward leaning positions is a combination of aerodynamic adjustment, to reduce drag, and an attempt to better activate certain muscles in pedaling the things.

If I don't care about either of those, I can sit bolt upright, like I see a lot of the cruiser bike contingent doing as they pedal around the neighborhood.

Indeed, the Tweed Ride people here make it a point of pride to adjust their old Raleigh 3 speeds so they are sitting upright on them.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-22, 12:56 PM

^^^talk abouit full kit.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-22, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,712 Times in 7,386 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I worked on a Llama ranch when i was in college -- this photo brings back memories

Oklahoma is widely known for horses and cows, so everyone in Stillwater (home of OSU) thought my rach owner was a kook. He probably was, but kooks are fun

I used to ride my DF to work 14 miles each way as a young Cat 3 who wanted to be a Cat 2
That's either Sleeping Child or Old Darby Rd. (it changes names) between Hamilton and Darby, MT. It becomes unpaved for about 6 miles, but the gravel is benign. Great views of the Bitterroot Mountains. The alternative is to tale U.S. 93 on the other ide of the river. It's an uninspired ride.

Coincidentally, when I got back on U.S. 93 I encountered some riders heading in my direction. They were stopped at a Napa parts store. One of them was riding a 'bent trike. He had lost or broken a rack bolt and was hoping to find something to replace it. We all ended up at the same place the following night.
Old 08-25-22, 01:05 PM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
^^^talk abouit full kit.

Old 08-25-22, 02:20 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So if we can be assured that if we would pass you, you would have your head crained up in an unnatural position at all times while you are riding-----------------right********************?

See, this is the sort of disrespectful lying crap that makes people so hostile to you. Of course my neck isn't "crained up" whatever the hell that means, but here you go implying I'm a liar because I'm perfectly capable of looking ahead, and scanning left and right, and looking up and looking down while riding on the hoods. You've obviously either never ridden a drop bar bike or forgotten what it was like to make such a stupid assertion.

I don't tell you how you ride, why would you be so presumptuous as to think you have a clue as to how I ride?

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-25-22 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-22, 02:36 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

There's probably one such thread for every single rider of recumbent bicycles (you won't get that joke).

Again, literally billions of people put their butts on top of one of those machines every single day and ride them. Literally dozens of people put their butts on recumbents worldwide.

Are DF bikes perfect for everyone? Of course not, nothing is. But DF bikes are so damn useful that people will do the tweaks or whatever needed to make themselves comfortable on the machine. There aren't threads on the discomforts people might feel on a bent because there aren't enough bent riders to start many threads.

I don't need to try a bent to know I'd be miserable on it. I can see exactly where it's going to put pressure on an old lower back injury that my DF bikes don't even get close to. The bent works for you, mazel tov. Stop trying to convince other people they don't know what works for them, it just makes you look incredibly stupid.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-22, 02:42 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
As I type this, while sitting in front of my computer in my office, I realize that my current torso and head position are not significantly different than while I'm riding my bike. I'm not uncomfortable at all, nor does it feel unnatural. This makes me wonder...Do you have neck mobility/flexibility issues that prevent it from working correctly?

Neither "crained", nor "unnatural", nor "staring at their front wheel". Just making use of the wonderful flexibility of the human neck...

The way I ride is pretty much in that posture, with a lot of getting out of the saddle as well. I very rarely go into any sort of tight crouch. Also, my neck is pretty constantly in some sort of motion, I'm not counting on my peripheral vision at crossings and the like. Plus, I actually do like looking at the scenery.
Old 08-25-22, 02:46 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

The way I ride is pretty much in that posture, with a lot of getting out of the saddle as well. I very rarely go into any sort of tight crouch. Also, my neck is pretty constantly in some sort of motion, I'm not counting on my peripheral vision at crossings and the like. Plus, I actually do like looking at the scenery.
On my road bike, I'm in a similar position about 95% of the time. Very little of my riding these days is in the drops. On my MTB, my position is a little more upright, but not significantly. I enjoy the use of my fully-functional neck.
Old 08-25-22, 02:49 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I mean, I don't know about you folks, but I love taking long, scenic rides and looking at my front tire. It's inspiring. One of these years, I even hope to take a cross-county trip to see my front tire roll along on all manner of road surfaces.
Old 08-25-22, 02:52 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
On my road bike, I'm in a similar position about 95% of the time. Very little of my riding these days is in the drops. On my MTB, my position is a little more upright, but not significantly. I enjoy the use of my fully-functional neck.
Honestly, I see very few people riding ina TT sort of position, which is what I think Ryda thinks all DF riders do. And he completely ignores that the large majority of DF bikes are some sort of flat bar.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-22, 02:53 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, I don't know about you folks, but I love taking long, scenic rides and looking at my front tire. It's inspiring. One of these years, I even hope to take a cross-county trip to see my front tire roll along on all manner of road surfaces.

My dream is to cross the Grand Pothole on my bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-22, 03:13 PM

Honestly, I see very few people riding ina TT sort of position, which is what I think Ryda thinks all DF riders do. ...
...I am looking forward to the inevitable thread, where rydabent and timtak finally meet, at high noon on the streets of Dodge City, and finally resolve the issue of ideal riding position.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-22, 03:26 PM

"supposed inadequacies of the DF design" Yet you know very well what they are, but wont admit them here. ....
...I'm sensing a conspiracy here. I'm hereby initiating a naming contest for this DF design conspiracy. It should also use the phrase "big bicycle", and it would probably need to mention chamois cream as well. Bonus points for a Borg reference.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-22, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I'm sensing a conspiracy here. I'm hereby initiating a naming contest for this DF design conspiracy. It should also use the phrase "big bicycle", and it would probably need to mention chamois cream as well. Bonus points for a Borg reference.

Oh my, you have it pegged ... almost! Our Mutual (Reclining) Friend has certainly succeeded most excellently with this his latest troll thread.

However -- and you now all have been warned -- he is holding his remaining main weapon in reserve. But if this silly thread keeps rolling, I've no doubt that weapon will be rolled out: we will hear that (wait for it) the only reason 'bents have not achieved World Domination is that the ... shudder ... Forces of Evil have conspired and are continuing to to conspire to suppress them. The Forces of Evil: the UCI and Big Bicycle.
Old 08-25-22, 03:53 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Honestly, I see very few people riding ina TT sort of position, which is what I think Ryda thinks all DF riders do. And he completely ignores that the large majority of DF bikes are some sort of flat bar.
With my 58 or so years on a DF bike and 17 on bent and trikes, Im quite sure my experience has taught me a lot about cycling.
Old 08-25-22, 04:00 PM
Habitual User

With my 58 or so years on a DF bike and 17 on bent and trikes, Im quite sure my experience has taught me a lot about cycling.
Yet, you still make assumptions about it that are so off base. Truly puzzling.
Old 08-25-22, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8321 Post(s)
Liked 9,127 Times in 4,510 Posts
Yet your 12 years on Bike Forums hasn't taught you anything about tact, diplomacy, or how to get along with others. Unless your whole reason for being here is to troll, to stir up crap.

You will never, EVER convince people recumbents are good by telling them they are doing it wrong, they don't know what they are doing, or constantly referring to "butt pain".

You could say you enjoy your machines without denigrating other people and the machines they love to ride. Try it. Try posting without being so negative.
Even in the music thread. At one time you had 7 posts there and 6 of them were negative.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-25-22, 05:57 PM
Tragically Ignorant

But you keep proving otherwise by repeatedly saying the same stupid things.

So did you spend 58 years staring at your front wheel?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-22, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked 7,409 Times in 2,981 Posts
If the OP rode with his head down for 58 years, he probably never noticed that everybody else had their head up.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-25-22, 07:06 PM

...now I'm sensing a conversion experience, like Saul on the road to Damascus. I begin now to understand your need to proselytize. The recumbent gospel isn't gonna preach itself, and you're just preaching to the choir in the recumbent forum.
Likes For 3alarmer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.