Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Saddle Cover For Riding Leather Saddles In The Rain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Saddle Cover For Riding Leather Saddles In The Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Look up the Jandd website. They make a good cover
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FSCW-OS
Old 11-10-23, 11:39 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 229 Posts
I also might add that the spray waterproofing stuff, Techron, is helpful on most nylon stuff. We use it on our travel umbrellas, nylon should bags, etc. Really helps keep the water at bay
Old 11-13-23, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
There doesn't seem to be a huge consensus so I am leaning towards the Aardvark.Based on the packaging it comes in two sizes - Regular and Small. Do any of you know which size is likely to fit a Brooks Swift or B17? I also never got a good indication of what material the Aardvark is made out of. For those of you that have them is it just coated nylon or something thicker like neoprene (wet suit material)?
Never heard of the small size. Regular fits B17 (and Team Pro).

For completeness I thought that I would document what other options that I have been able to find online. Unfortunately there is limited information on sizing and material available and if it has built-in gel/padding.

Serfas - https://www.serfas.com/shop/products...-saddle-cover/

Jandd Mountaineering - https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FSCW

Fahrer Kappe - https://www.perennialcycle.com/fahre...dle-cover.html

Planet Bike - https://www.planetbike.com/waterproof-bike-seat-cover/

Randi Jo Fabrications - https://randijofab.com/products/wate...a-saddle-cover

XeroCovers - https://www.xerocovers.com/

Gotta go... May edit and add more later...

Thanks,
Steve
You're heading for analysis paralysis. Pick one, buy two, ride the first one until it starts leaking, put on the second, decide if the first one's life was sufficient and order more (of the same or different ones). A saddle cover is not going to last as long as a good Brooks, especially if you ride on it every day.
Old 11-13-23, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
I have this one Brooks England Nylon Saddle Rain Cover
Old 12-02-23, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I bought a Aardvark in Standard size. It appears and smells like it is made out of a thin neoprene with a thin, probably lycra, fabric cover on each side. It fits on a brooks Swift and Infinity E1X. It will be interesting to see how this works and holds up. The stretchy-ness makes it ride up off the saddle since the saddle is concave. I'll post a photo below. Thanks for everyone's input.

BTW, the Selle Anatomica cover appears to be a custom Aardvark and is not the same as the "Standard". The packaging is marked "Deluxe" on a sticker covering the "standard" and "small" markings on the package.

Last edited by Steve_sr; 12-02-23 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,700 Posts
The Aardvark seat cover doesn't protect the underside of the saddle, it appears.
Old 12-02-23, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The Aardvark seat cover doesn't protect the underside of the saddle, it appears.
Correct, or at least not very well. Combined with a seat tube bag it may do better. However, the Selle Anatomica does a much better job. however, I don't know how it would fit on other than a Selle Anatomica saddle. Here is a video of the installation of one.

https://vimeo.com/242832827
Old 12-02-23, 03:06 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3599 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 1,947 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Been using a leather Sella Italia saddle for 13 years and it’s still fine with no cover or owt. That thing has seen a lot of sweat as it’s on my turbo now. Can’t really see the point of getting a saddle of one material and covering it with a different material when using it to be honest (generating more landfill in the process)? Though the idea above sounds a good one.
Selle Italia saddles have a leather cover over a plastic base, which limits the damage that moisture can cause. I took the OP's question as referring to leather sling-type saddles like Brooks, Sella Anatomica, Giles Berthoud, etc. Riding them with excessive moisture causes them to stretch and sag. I use mudguards to keep water away from the underside of the saddle and keep a plastic bag stuffed under the saddle in case I get caught in rain. For the sweat issue the OP mentions, perhaps fabricating a cover from Gore-Tex fabric and elastic might work.
Old 12-02-23, 07:26 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
Hhowever, I don't know how it would fit on other than a Selle Anatomica saddle.
FWIWW, my Brooks Pro seems to be about 1/4" shorter and 1/4" narrower than my Selle Anatomica.
Old 12-03-23, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Selle Italia saddles have a leather cover over a plastic base, which limits the damage that moisture can cause. I took the OP's question as referring to leather sling-type saddles like Brooks, Sella Anatomica, Giles Berthoud, etc. Riding them with excessive moisture causes them to stretch and sag. I use mudguards to keep water away from the underside of the saddle and keep a plastic bag stuffed under the saddle in case I get caught in rain. For the sweat issue the OP mentions, perhaps fabricating a cover from Gore-Tex fabric and elastic might work.
Yeah I think you’re right. I realised that a few days after posting.