Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheel upgrade decisions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon wheel upgrade decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 11:01 AM
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Ok
Old 07-25-22, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received my Elitewheels DRIVE 45D on Thursday and have them gone through their first 100km on Saturday, 23rd July.

First was the wheelset unboxing in my YouTube video titled "Elitewheels DRIVE 45D - First Impressions"

I simply loved the handling characteristics especially on the straightline. How I think about them?
So I made a First Ride clip and let you know about it in another YouTube video titled "EliteWheels DRIVE 45D - My First Ride"

These wheels knocked off nearly 600 grams off my Eddy Merckx 525 which was originally 8.2kg but now it is at 7.6kg instead. Furthermore the marbled gloss finish really looked nice with the bike.
Old 07-27-22, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by fgeneral
I have a Trek Domane SL4 that I would like to upgrade to carbon wheels soon for this riding season. I was thinking the Aeolus elite 50mm will give me the best performance at a reasonable price. I found today that there is a 25% off sale at my LBS Summit Bicycles for the Aeolus 35mm versions only. I pretty much only ride flat for right now and I'm at a beginner level trying to train for my first century ride this summer. I would like to climb more in the future though once my legs get there. I'm located in the SF Bay Area so there are many nice places flat and hilly to ride here.

Is this sale worth going for the 35mm version instead of what I had planed? Or would the aero benefits for flat riding be worth paying normal price. I have a budget carbon bike so I feel its only fitting to get a budget carbon wheelset that's on sale.

Thanks in advance for any insight and help in my decision making!!

$998 less 25% =

$749 for the elite 35

$1091 for the elite 50
good price and really good warranty however 1730g for the 50's is really heavy. The 35's at 1485g aren't horrendous since I think a decent set of climbing wheels is 1200g-1400g. A decent set of aluminum can be 1500g or less.

Personally these are the pick if these are your one and only wheelset and if you are worried about having these warrantied. If you are more weight or even value conscious Hunt Wheels now start at $809 with $25 shipping and no tax for the 35, 40, 50 and the 65's are $859 and 1596g. Winspace are probably even a better value at $1200 shipped with the 10% coupon and paying for the $100 shipping (FEDEX/UPS) you get 38, 50, or 65 with carbon spokes and ceramic bearings. Winspaces 65's are 1608g which is pretty unreal compared to the Elite 50