Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 05:32 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
that is the stupidest setup I have ever seen. Looks great if your goal is castrating yourself. Just stop already.
One other thing that I failed to mention is that I was unable to use my first faux-time-trial (forward shifted road bike) position, with a long stem and aero bars

Lanced Road Bike - Long Stem 150mm by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
until I found hollow saddles because in the forward shifted position, where I am leaning forward, like a superman, I found that I was seat on, or near to on, my testicles. The solution was very hollow saddles.

Leatherless Selle SMP Evolution Saddle by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

These days I don't need a hollow saddle because, as John Cobb (advisor to LeMond and Armstrong) says, I can sit on my quads.

I find it pertinent to imagine that I am sitting on a very tall recumbent, where my saddle is the recumbent seat. My testicles are now far from my saddle.

There is a theory in cultural psychology (Yuki, 2003) about why people participate in groups or forums.
1) To enjoy a feeling of "them" and "us"; to put down out-groups and praise fellow in-group members (a below)
2) To form a network to help other members of your group, also for a feel-good factor (b below)

Yuki, 2003

My suggestions may be tosh but they are working well for me, so I come here to share something that works for me in the hope that others will also find that it works for them, and they'll be grateful, say thanks, I and I will feel good about having helped some one.

There seems to be a lot of trashing going on here. This is fun no doubt but, er... Yeah.

Yuki, M. (2003). Intergroup comparison versus intragroup relationships: A cross-cultural examination of social identity theory in North American and East Asian cultural contexts. Social Psychology Quarterly, 166–183. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/1519846.pdf

Last edited by timtak; 07-20-22 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 05:35 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
One other thing that I failed to mention is that I was unable to use my first faux-time-trial (forward shifted road bike) position, with a long stem and aero bars

Lanced Road Bike - Long Stem 150mm by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
until I found hollow saddles because in the forward shifted position, where I am leaning forward, like a superman, I found that I was seat on, or near to on, my testicles.
The solution was very hollow saddles.

Leatherless Selle SMP Evolution Saddle by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

These days I don't need a hollow saddle because, as John Cobb (advisor to LeMond and Armstrong) says, I can sit on my quads.

I find it pertinent to imagine that I am sitting on a very tall recumbent, where my saddle is the recumbent seat. My testicles are now far from my saddle.
Which part of "just stop" made you think I was looking for further explanation?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-20-22, 05:37 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I
Do you sell them?
Sell what?
Old 07-20-22, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Which part of "just stop" made you think I was looking for further explanation?
Which part of anything made you think I'd care about you want?

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Sell what?
Do you sell expensive, upright, non-aero "aero road bikes" that encourage people to stay fat?

Tim
Old 07-20-22, 06:06 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Do you sell expensive, upright, non-aero "aero road bikes" that encourage people to stay fat?

Tim
You're the only one sellin' anything there, and ain't no one buyin'.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-20-22, 06:34 AM
Advanced Slacker

Tim
A comment that asinine does not even deserve to be engaged.
Old 07-20-22, 06:38 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Which part of anything made you think I'd care about you want?
That you were quoting me.

Don't pretend to be responding to my post when it's obvious that all that's going on here is you like to hear yourself talk.

Old 07-20-22, 06:53 AM
Tragically Ignorant

There is a theory in cultural psychology (Yuki, 2003) about why people participate in groups or forums.
1) To enjoy a feeling of "them" and "us"; to put down out-groups and praise fellow in-group members (a below)
2) To form a network to help other members of your group, also for a feel-good factor (b below)

Yuki, 2003

My suggestions may be tosh but they are working well for me, so I come here to share something that works for me in the hope that others will also find that it works for them, and they'll be grateful, say thanks, I and I will feel good about having helped some one.

There seems to be a lot of trashing going on here. This is fun no doubt but, er... Yeah.

Yuki, M. (2003). Intergroup comparison versus intragroup relationships: A cross-cultural examination of social identity theory in North American and East Asian cultural contexts. Social Psychology Quarterly, 166–183. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/1519846.pdf
No, here's what's really going on--you've hijacked a thread by posting long post after long post completely off-topic of the thread insisting that pretty much everyone else in the bicycling world has it wrong and you have it right. Your summary of the reasons people post in groups is woefully incomplete--what you're doing is very familiar to people who have witnessed other people promote crackpot theories--you're the flat earther telling all of science that it's a conspiracy of lies. You're doing basically a Gish gallop, every time someone points out the gross and obvious flaws in your "theory", you move on to another point which in turn gets refuted, you then bring up another point, etc., and then eventually start again with the original premise as if all that refutation never occurred.

You're being completely dishonest here--if you want to discuss your ideas, start a thread with the topic clearly labeled so we can avoid it in droves and you'll have the people who want to take you seriously (if there are any) engage with you there. .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-20-22, 07:11 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I used to use a forward offset saddle
Never mind the saddle position, those handlebars are frightening.

And UCI illegal, of course.

Old 07-20-22, 07:53 AM
Advanced Slacker

No, you’ve come here saying that anyone not riding what you are (including pro racers) are doing it wrong or fat.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-20-22, 08:12 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
That thing looks like a medieval torture device. My neck and lower back hurt just looking at it.
Old 07-20-22, 08:13 AM
Tragically Ignorant

No, you’ve come here saying that anyone not riding what you are (including pro racers) are doing it wrong or fat.

Yes, the stuff you quoted is what all would-be genius charlatans say.
Old 07-20-22, 08:24 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Never mind the saddle position, those handlebars are frightening.

And UCI illegal, of course.

This is one of the funny things when UCI comes up in a discussion of innovation. The function of UCI rules is, in part, the refusal to allow certain types of innovations into the competition, whether for safety reasons or because the innovation somehow changes the nature of the machine so it's no longer the same kind of competition as it's been traditionally. That last bit is a bit abstract, but it's definitely putting a limitation on the commercial potential for several lines of innovation (e.g., sub-UCI weight bikes, various iterations of the superman posture). But this has absolutely nothing to do with your basic non-competitive rider as long as they're not looking to emulate competitive riders.
Old 07-20-22, 08:45 AM
Advanced Slacker

Yeah, all “UCI compliant“ tells you is that is is UCI compliant. It tells you nothing about whether something is a good idea or not.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-20-22, 08:49 AM
climber has-been

This is one of the funny things when UCI comes up in a discussion of innovation. The function of UCI rules is, in part, the refusal to allow certain types of innovations into the competition, whether for safety reasons or because the innovation somehow changes the nature of the machine so it's no longer the same kind of competition as it's been traditionally. That last bit is a bit abstract, but it's definitely putting a limitation on the commercial potential for several lines of innovation (e.g., sub-UCI weight bikes, various iterations of the superman posture). But this has absolutely nothing to do with your basic non-competitive rider as long as they're not looking to emulate competitive riders.
I appreciate that some UCI rules are stifling innovation, but it seems to me everyone ought to consider the handlebars rule. Just from a weight distribution consideration. For safety sake.

If I saw someone show up at a group ride with that wacky handlebar setup (above), I would give that rider a very wide berth.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the UCI weight limit was intended for safety. They just haven't updated the number in a while.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-20-22, 09:51 AM
Tragically Ignorant

I appreciate that some UCI rules are stifling innovation, but it seems to me everyone ought to consider the handlebars rule. Just from a weight distribution consideration. For safety sake.

If I saw someone show up at a group ride with that wacky handlebar setup (above), I would give that rider a very wide berth.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the UCI weight limit was intended for safety. They just haven't updated the number in a while.

Agreed, some of the UCI rules are about safety. I'm just not literate enough in the technology to distinguish whether the handlebar rule falls into that category. Thanks!

I think we're well past the time where the current weight limit can plausibly be believed to be related to safety when we know they are literally just adding weights to the bicycles to comply with the rule. Bureaucratic inertia can only get you so far as an explanation as to why this weight limit would still be in place so long after its clear sell-by date.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-20-22, 10:24 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
But of course, it's what all the pros would be riding if their sponsors didn't force them to ride those bikes that might as well be hybrids!

I love the "I had to get a different saddle so I wouldn't crush my testicles" thing though. He commits to the bit, you have to give him that.

From watching GCN Tech, it seems like the bikes in the TdF peloton are not pushing the weight limit all that much. I guess the difference between 7-something kg and 6.8 is not that important anymore. But it's worth noting that 25 years ago, Bicycle Guide built a sub-16 lb bike - about half a kg heavier than the UCI limit, that was so noodly that nobody over 150 lbs could ride it and so fragile that nobody'd want to. Amazing how far we've come, innit?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-20-22, 11:11 AM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by genejockey
But it's worth noting that 25 years ago, Bicycle Guide built a sub-16 lb bike - about half a kg heavier than the UCI limit, that was so noodly that nobody over 150 lbs could ride it and so fragile that nobody'd want to. Amazing how far we've come, innit?
Yeah, I remember what it was like to be a weight weenie back then. The light parts were decidedly "noodly" (a good word).

My "noodliest" weight weenie purchase was an Easton ultra lightweight fork (don't remember the model). Steering that thing through fast corners was, um, exciting.

Several modern frames and forks are just as light, but much stiffer. My Scott Addict weighs just over 14 lbs, but it is solid.

Old 07-20-22, 11:19 AM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts

Tim
the only kind of bike which encourages anyone to stay fat is one that’s uncomfortable or otherwise unpleasant to ride. it is very easy to burn calories enjoyable on any comfortable bike, whether that’s upright, endurance, race, aero, hybrid, whatever you want to call it. eking out the best cda and recruiting the last muscle fiber is about going fast for the least energy, not losing weight or keeping it off.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-20-22, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey
…25 years ago, Bicycle Guide built a sub-16 lb bike - about half a kg heavier than the UCI limit, that was so noodly that nobody over 150 lbs could ride it and so fragile that nobody'd want to. Amazing how far we've come, innit?
i didn’t ride seriously back then, but it still amazes me that the <600g frame of my aethos, which literally weighs less than the gatorade in my bottle, supports not just my weight but absolutely all the force i can put it into it standing up and pedaling at full power (which admittedly isn’t all that much 😂😂😂 ) without complaint. i’m sure it’s flexing as intended, but it’s not disconcerting or even evident to me.

seems like progress.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-20-22, 05:14 PM

I wrote "Do you sell non aero "aero road bikes" that encourage people to stay fat.
A comment that asinine does not even deserve to be engaged.
I think this is an important issue. I know at least two people who went to Local BS shops with the purpose of improving or maintaining their health. They were sold entry level road bikes that put their chest to the wind. This can be modified with long downwards pointing stems to make them fast and fun to ride but it took me quite a long time. I might not have been able to loose weight. It was touch and go for me and it does not seem to be working well for my acquaintances. I appreciate that selling UCI team branded new bikes allows people to make a living, send their kids to school, but at the same time, it is one of the many things that facilities the obesity and ill health that is now rampant in the USA and to a lesser extent in many other places too. Some people blame the food industry. This is a life or death issue.

That you were quoting me. Don't pretend to be responding to my post when it's obvious that all that's going on here is you like to hear yourself talk..
I quoted you because you raised a valid point] that my current bike is not like a time-trial bike. I responded, for the sake of those who might see that route as more logical (after all, most amateurs ride on their own, trying to go fast, in a sense time trials). I don't mind interacting with you though.

No, here's what's really going on--you've hijacked a thread by posting long post after long post completely off-topic of the thread
As far as I know I am responding to the topic which is "Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge." My response is yes, and I am trying to demonstrate why.

insisting that pretty much everyone else in the bicycling world has it wrong and you have it right.
I think it is very important to realise that the Pro Pelton do not ride like amateur cyclists who are "not pushing a competitive racing edge." So it is not that the Pros the people who ride criteriums, or the UCI are wrong, it is just that they are riding in a different way. Their bikes may well therefore be wrong for the people addressed by this thread, but people keep coming back to pros and criteriums and the UCI. It is they, you, that are posting off topic posts.

You're being completely dishonest here--if you want to discuss your ideas, start a thread with the topic clearly labeled so we can avoid it in droves and you'll have the people who want to take you seriously (if there are any) engage with you there. .
It seems to me that, in the face of the dishonesty promoted the cycling industry, and in order to counter it, and perhaps, perhaps even save a life somewhere, I am particularly interested in the topic of this thread, not "discussing my ideas."

Never mind the saddle position, those handlebars are frightening.And UCI illegal, of course.
Why do you mention the UCI? This thread is not about competitive cycling.

I am saying that Pros are riding in a different way to the vast majority of amateurs, and yet over and over again the "pro racers" are wheeled out as a model for what those who are NOT riding competitively should be riding.

I think that this is partly (or largely) because some people (though I don't know who) want to sell the bikes sponsoring the UCI teams, even though non branded bikes, or bikes from the 20th century, would be a lot more suitable for, and health promoting to, those that ride like most amateurs that I see ride. There is the possibility that they may be training for group races but, I doubt many of them are. I am not. This thread is specifically about those that are not riding like the pros, not riding UCI rules, and not riding in criteriums, and yet you and others keep mentioning "the pros" etc as a model for non competitive cyclists.

Last edited by timtak; 07-20-22 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-20-22, 06:31 PM
Advanced Slacker

I wrote "Do you sell non aero "aero road bikes" that encourage people to stay fat.
I think this is an important issue. I know at least two people who went to Local BS shops with the purpose of improving or maintaining their health. They were sold entry level road bikes that put their chest to the wind.
Which was most likely exactly what they should have been sold. Sticking people on bikes like yours is the surest way to make them hate cycling, and the recent move towards offering a wider variety if fits and the move AWAY from sticking everyone on racing setups has been the greatest improvement to road cycling in the past 30 years.

Literally NOBODY has every tried cycling and quit due to the setup not being aero enough.

The idea that upright bikes encourage people to get fat is so completely insane that I am beginning to wonder if I am just being trolled. If so, well played.

I am saying that Pros are riding in a different way to the vast majority of amateurs, and yet over and over again the "pro racers" are wheeled out as a model for what those who are NOT riding competitively should be riding.
Wait, so non-competitive riders should be riding in MORE aero position than professionals?

This is troll, isn't it?

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-20-22 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-20-22, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
A blast from the past, for your amusement:

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

The bike position is so bad that the rider can't see ahead while wearing normal glasses.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-20-22, 07:00 PM

Literally NOBODY has every tried cycling and quit due to the setup not being aero enough.

The idea that upright bikes encourage people to get fat is so completely insane that I am beginning to wonder if I am just being trolled. If so, well played.
i tried to reply … but it was just so nonsensical and convoluted and self contradictory that i couldn’t come up with the words!

amateurs are getting fat because their bikes are too upright/comfortable (which makes them stop riding ?!?) … and the pros are going slower than they could because they’re being forced by the manufacturers to ride bikes that aren’t aerodynamic … because the manufacturers want everyone else to get fat not riding those same bikes?
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-20-22, 07:21 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
My gawd. If I hear the phrase: "Chest in the wind" one more time...

I can't quite put my finger on it but for whatever reason this keeps coming to mind:

Car dependency is a tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.