Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you shave with?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: What type of razor do you use? Multiple options ok
Straight razor (knife style or replaceable blade style)
7.84%
Double-edged safety razor
29.41%
Multi-blade modern razor (2, 3, 4, 5, ... ? blades)
41.18%
Electric shaver
26.47%
Other
4.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What do you shave with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Straight razor here. My other hobby is hand-tool woodworking. One day I figured that, hey, I know how to sharpen my tools; I may as well get a razor with non-disposable parts and keep it sharp. Works wonderfully; has paid for itself a few times now.
Old 05-02-14, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I shave with a double edge safety razor. Mine is the three part type where the end screws off and sandwiches the blade (vs the split open type). I saw them cheap cheap on Amazon one day and decided to give it a whirl. It takes a little getting used to, but it works well.

M.
Old 05-02-14, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Fancy four blade pivoting head and all that. Face and legs.
Old 05-02-14, 06:25 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I have a goatee so I only shave the sides of my face to maintain the look. I use cheap disposable blades for my face.... For my head I maintain a " high and tight hairstyle", I just shave the sides of my head with a hair clipper and keep the top longer... I never shave my legs or arms or anything else.
Old 05-02-14, 06:37 PM
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the DE safety razor as well as the multi blade ones by Gillette. Of the two, the DE butchers the s--t out of my face, but man alive do I ever get a close shave with it. I've been using the Wilkinson Sword blades, as the Feather's, Gillette's, and Shark all eat my face up.

The multi blade ones are "ok" but I don't get as nearly a close a shave with them as I do the DE... and they cost a whole lot more as well. So it's better, and cheaper for me to do the DE razor. I also use shave soap and a boar hair brush as that lasts longer than regular shaving cream for me.

V

Last edited by vXhanz; 05-02-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Double-edge safety razor with shaving soap and brush since around February of this year, when I switched from a Gillette 5-Blade thingy with very expensive replacement cartridges. I'm not mastering the art of the great shave yet, but I do enjoy the ritual of preparing the soap and blade. It's very much the same satisfaction I experience when I get to work on my own pedal power. And, as with bike commuting, I find myself grinning ear-to-ear at the cost savings!
Old 05-02-14, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I own a DE Merkur but I haven't been completely clean shaven in a few years. Right now I'm starting to look like the orphan cousin of the duck dynsasty
Old 05-02-14, 08:04 PM
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
My beard and Gillette Atra came of age at about the same time. I still have the original all stainless Atra rig I bought back in the day, and a newer aluminum/stainless one that I use for travelling. Availability of the replacement cartridges seems to be holding out so far.
Old 05-02-14, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I used to love shaving with my DE safety shaver. Smoothest, closest shave ever.

But after getting 4 coronary stents last December my doc put me in anticoagulants.

Now even a little nick while shaving turns into a gusher, so I got an electric shaver.

Hate the shave.
Old 05-02-14, 08:39 PM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Norelco, then I follow up with a twin-blade disposable on the neck.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 05-02-14, 09:11 PM

Bikes: Gunnar, Surly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braun foil shaver: electric razors are like bicycles -- good for the environment!
Old 05-02-14, 09:41 PM
Beer and nachos today!

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton, Schwinn Prelude SS, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
El cheapo DE safety razor with Wilkinson Sword blades- I can't find Gillette DE blades in stores anymore. I'll switch to looking for blades online soon since the quality of Wilkinson blades seems to vary.

I use Cromwell & Cruthers shave oil available from MEC rather than soap or creams/gels, I find it a lot more comfortable and less irritating.

Cromwell & Cruthers Shave Oil - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
Old 05-02-14, 10:59 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You're not talking about shaving legs are you? I just want that clarified first ... but your poll left out the most logical choice, single blade disposables. Most logical because cheapest. Shaving is an unpleasant chore no matter what, unfortunately required if you don't want the beard, so I personally won't spend any more money on it than I have to, nor time and energy. Cheap blades, cheap cream or even soap, get it over with fast and done until the next day.
that would turn my face into a mess; I have sensitive skin.
Old 05-03-14, 05:57 AM

>>>I use Cromwell & Cruthers shave oil available from MEC rather than soap or creams/gels, I find it a lot more comfortable and less irritating.<<<

Try straight Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil in place of the stuff you're using. It's a lot cheaper and, for me, does the same job. I use the oil underneath shaving soap, though.

Hey, whaddya know...all of a sudden, there's a big ad for Merkur Razors on this page!
Old 05-03-14, 06:06 AM

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, 1995 Daimondback Crestview

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first reaction when I saw this was, "I don't shave when I'm riding."

Then I thought of the times I've seen car commuters, shaving or putting on make up while driving down the road.
Old 05-03-14, 02:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I looked into DE razors before, I guess I have to do it again. You guys are a bad influence. Lmfao

Currently looking at razors, blades, brushes and soap.

After the initial investment it is more cost effective monthly.
Old 05-03-14, 02:39 PM

Mine is not a Merkur or any name brand. It's called a "Mach One" or something like that, and it's sold under the "As Seen On TV" brand. I paid $20 and it came with 12 blades. You can get 5 Wilkinson Sword replacement blades for about two bucks. My brush was $3.99 and a bar of shaving soap is about $2. All this is STILL less than I used to pay for one 4-pack of my Gillette megablade razor cartridges.

Two points about "classic shaving" --

1. You don't have to put your shaving soap in a 3 oz bag for airport security, as you had to with shaving cream. I'm not sure if the double-edge razor with the removable blade will fly, though. Anybody have any experience?
2. The stuff you have to carry for DE shaving is a little bulkier for a bike trip than a few disposables and a small can of shaving cream.
Old 05-05-14, 07:50 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Double-edge safety razor with shaving soap and brush since around February of this year, when I switched from a Gillette 5-Blade thingy with very expensive replacement cartridges. I'm not mastering the art of the great shave yet, but I do enjoy the ritual of preparing the soap and blade. It's very much the same satisfaction I experience when I get to work on my own pedal power. And, as with bike commuting, I find myself grinning ear-to-ear at the cost savings!
Today I experienced both ... a bike commute followed by a great DE shave when I got to work

My work razor is my birth year razor ... a '73 Gillette Tech
Old 05-05-14, 07:51 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by papa tom
mine is not a merkur or any name brand. It's called a "micro touch one" or something like that, and it's sold under the "as seen on tv" brand. I paid $20 and it came with 12 blades. You can get 5 wilkinson sword replacement blades for about two bucks. My brush was $3.99 and a bar of shaving soap is about $2. All this is still less than i used to pay for one 4-pack of my gillette megablade razor cartridges.

1. You don't have to put your shaving soap in a 3 oz bag for airport security, as you had to with shaving cream. I'm not sure if the double-edge razor with the removable blade will fly, though. Anybody have any experience?
2. The stuff you have to carry for de shaving is a little bulkier for a bike trip than a few disposables and a small can of shaving cream.
fyp
Old 05-05-14, 08:08 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
bought one of these in July 2007 for 499 SEK (€50).

braun EP50 and i shave my whole head/beard once a week and haven't paid for a haircut/razor since. in essence, i haven't been clean-shaven in at almost 7 years!

i use it on the "0" setting without the plastic guard for everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ep50.jpg (17.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by acidfast7; 05-05-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-05-14, 08:17 AM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudz
Okay, I looked into DE razors before, I guess I have to do it again. You guys are a bad influence. Lmfao

Currently looking at razors, blades, brushes and soap.

After the initial investment it is more cost effective monthly.
I used to use a brush and shaving soap, now I just use a cream that I put on my wet face so if you want to cut down on the initial expense and you already use a blade-type razor, you could just just get a DE razor and blades.

Good deals at Amazon.com, BestGroomingTools.com, ShaveaBuck.com, WestCoastShaving.com, Razorbladesandmore.com and, for the Canadians, ItalianBarber.com and Fendrihan.com. Get a sampler pack of blades to try out a few and maybe, you'll like one.
Old 05-05-14, 08:33 AM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom

2. The stuff you have to carry for DE shaving is a little bulkier for a bike trip than a few disposables and a small can of shaving cream.
1. I don't travel much but when I do, I carry my shaving gear in my checked luggage so it isn't an issue. If I only had carry-on, I don't know what I'd do, I'd have to ask. The issue wouldn't be the razor but the blades.

2. By "the stuff", if you mean brush, soap, razor and blades, you don't need to use a brush and soap, cream does just fine. There also are travel razor options such as a Merkur made out of bakelite (presumably quite light) and my father gave me this kit (mine has a black case). The issue with this kit is that the handle is quite small, I got my sons a RazoRock travel kit which has a full sized handle but it unscrews in the middle to make it a smaller package for travelling.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 05-05-14, 08:49 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
1. I don't travel much but when I do, I carry my shaving gear in my checked luggage so it isn't an issue. If I only had carry-on, I don't know what I'd do, I'd have to ask. The issue wouldn't be the razor but the blades.

2. By "the stuff", if you mean brush, soap, razor and blades, you don't need to use a brush and soap, cream does just fine. There also are travel razor options such as a Merkur made out of bakelite (presumably quite light) and my father gave me this kit (mine has a black case). The issue with this kit is that the handle is quite small, I got my sons a RazoRock travel kit which has a full sized handle but it unscrews in the middle to make it a smaller package for travelling.

old school ... FRG!
Old 05-05-14, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a straight razor unless I'm traveling then I use a 1959 Gillette Fatboy DE. Use a Scuttle, brush and soap/cream for lather and make my own shave oil that I use first. When I travel I use the DE in my checked bag. I always check a bag so there is no issue.
Old 05-05-14, 09:27 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I have a bit of annoyance with my wife. For years she told me she didn't like beards, and so I didn't grow one. Finally I thought: it's my decision, and so I grew one, and now she says she likes it.

Dammit!

So I only shave my neck and I vary using a twin-bladed older Gillette Atra, and a Philips rotary. With the Gillette I use a brush and usually Williams mug shaving soap.

I trim my beard and groom with an adjustable trimmer - I use the no. 1 setting for my lower lip and right beside my mouth, no. 2 for the rest of the moustache and most of the beard, and no. 3 for the point of my chin just to give a little emphasis there. I also use no. 1, slightly tilted, around the razor line on my neck and the back edge of my sideburns, to slightly bevel or taper the outside edge of the beard.

I use no. 4 for my heavy Scottish eyebrows.

Last edited by cooker; 05-05-14 at 12:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.