Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 01:07 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Well I have a mountain bike and road bike. For the longest time, I was riding my mountain bike on long, paved trails. Then I got a road bike and started riding them on the paved trails. I also recently just started riding my mountain bike on mountain like trails. And that's a whole new ballgame in of itself and am really starting to like mountain biking as well.

But I do have a little bit of a phobia riding in traffic, next to cars. I haven't done it very much other than around the block and maybe a little bit on bike lanes. But other than that, I've just felt a little apprehensive, so basically I've just been a trail rider with both my mountain and road bike.

But I feel like I'm not really being a true cyclist by not doing the roads. When I watch The Tour De France, that looks appealing in a sense and at times I just wish roads were free of cars. So I feel like I'm limiting myself by not doing the roads and I just don't feel like I'm being the full cyclist that others are.

I've seen some youtube videos, and have read stories of some crazy things happening on the road. You can't stop a drunk driver or a selfish truck driver, no matter how safe you are. Some people don't care if they hit you, they just wanna go fast. I feel like if you're driving a car and get hit, at least you have protection. But what happens when you get hit on a bike? I just can't even imagine.

Am I too paranoid? Or is my phobia justified? Should I ride only on the quietest roads? Or is trail riding good enough? I mean since there are a lot of trails both paved and mountains, would I be an idiot trying to ride with traffic?
I spent ~12 years riding in traffic in Atlanta. When I retired I moved to Florida. There are several paved trails close by. Thats part of the reason for retiring where I did. NO TRAFFIC on the bike trail. I ride almost exclusively on the trails. Why not? Thats what they're for.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-22-15, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Your apprehension about riding on roads is very common, and there is nothing wrong with restricting your riding to trails. However, you are undoubtedly inflating the risks of riding on roads and missing a potentially rewarding activity. No activity is risk-free, and almost everyone engages in risky behavior that they minimize due to familiarity. Driving on roads is a prime example. People are so familiar with driving that they minimize the inherent risks, even though thousands of people are injured or killed in traffic accidents every day. In my opinion, cycling on roads is no more dangerous than driving -- assuming that you take proper precautions, just as a prudent driver would do.

A safety conscious driver wears a seatbelt, obeys traffic laws, doesn't drink-and-drive, and refrains from distractions such as talking on cell phones or texting. Likewise, a safety conscious cyclist wears a helmet, obeys traffic laws, seeks out safer roads to ride on, wears bright clothing and uses lights and reflective gear. I have been road riding for more than 40 years and have never been hit by a car, although I have received minor injuries from sliding out on corners a couple of times. I have never been in an accident while driving a car either, but broke a collar bone riding an off-road motorcycle many years ago.

As others pointed out, riding on trails is not risk free either. In some ways, riding on trails can be more dangerous if you let down your guard. You can still crash or slide out riding on trails, and you can collide with walkers, runners, other cyclists, skateboarders, skaters, etc. You could get bit by a dog or tangled up in a dog leash. That said, I ride on trails a lot and enjoy not having to worry about car traffic. However, I use a bell to alert walkers and other cyclists when passing them, or call out. If I encounter children or large groups, I slow down a lot.
Old 09-22-15, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by series1811
I do not like riding on paved trails. Invariably it means more cyclists, pedestrians, and dogs - all of which can be very unpredictable. I recently rode the Cherry Creek trail in Denver and it was a royal pain. Constant acceleration and braking and waiting for trail traffic to clear, not to mention some outright rude people. I feel safer riding on the roads in the rural area where I live. I can ride for miles and not see another cyclist and very few cars.

To each their own though. People have different predilections and comfort levels for different types of riding.
Yea.. I hear you. I'm in the bay area. I have a book that has a lot of different bike routes. But some of these highways streets they recommend have enormous amounts of traffic. So I don't really have anything against roads, but if I were to pick my own routes, it would have to be the best selection of quiet streets. So I'm still trying to figure out the best combinations. There are some streets that I'm just simply not ready for.
Old 09-22-15, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is the second fear-related thread you have started today. Care to try for No. 3?

Heh. Now I remember your earlier trolling:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post18121581

Alright I'm sorry, I did ask one question after another, maybe I wanted to refine it a little more. You have to remember, I'm relatively new to both mountain biking and road biking. I used to just ride my mountain bike on paved trails, now I'm starting mountain biking and also have a 1 month old road bike. So I've expanded my horizons pretty quickly.
Old 09-22-15, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Alright I'm sorry, I did ask one question after another, maybe I wanted to refine it a little more. You have to remember, I'm relatively new to both mountain biking and road biking. I used to just ride my mountain bike on paved trails, now I'm starting mountain biking and also have a 1 month old road bike. So I've expanded my horizons pretty quickly.
As noted above by another, this is actually at least your third recent fear-related thread. And you can't 'splain away the spinning my wheels or hitting the little girl threads. You are played out in my book. Fortunately for you, there are those who don't take the time to scrutinize posts clearly or read all the posts in a thread. As a result, you will always be able to "find work."
Old 09-22-15, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Your apprehension about riding on roads is very common, and there is nothing wrong with restricting your riding to trails. However, you are undoubtedly inflating the risks of riding on roads and missing a potentially rewarding activity. No activity is risk-free, and almost everyone engages in risky behavior that they minimize due to familiarity. Driving on roads is a prime example. People are so familiar with driving that they minimize the inherent risks, even though thousands of people are injured or killed in traffic accidents every day. In my opinion, cycling on roads is no more dangerous than driving -- assuming that you take proper precautions, just as a prudent driver would do.

A safety conscious driver wears a seatbelt, obeys traffic laws, doesn't drink-and-drive, and refrains from distractions such as talking on cell phones or texting. Likewise, a safety conscious cyclist wears a helmet, obeys traffic laws, seeks out safer roads to ride on, wears bright clothing and uses lights and reflective gear. I have been road riding for more than 40 years and have never been hit by a car, although I have received minor injuries from sliding out on corners a couple of times. I have never been in an accident while driving a car either, but broke a collar bone riding an off-road motorcycle many years ago.

As others pointed out, riding on trails is not risk free either. In some ways, riding on trails can be more dangerous if you let down your guard. You can still crash or slide out riding on trails, and you can collide with walkers, runners, other cyclists, skateboarders, skaters, etc. You could get bit by a dog or tangled up in a dog leash. That said, I ride on trails a lot and enjoy not having to worry about car traffic. However, I use a bell to alert walkers and other cyclists when passing them, or call out. If I encounter children or large groups, I slow down a lot.

That's true. I did get in a trail accident last month with a little girl. It was scary, but much more scary for her. The reason why that happened was because there is a small part of the trail that has a lot of holes, bumps, etc... So I was trying to avoid the cracks and bumps and since that segment was so narrow, it resulted in a crash. So now I know that for that segment, I have to go real slow.

I guess I'm trying to decipher if there is enough low traffic roads around for me to enjoy. I do know that as of right now I am not confident in riding on a busy road and there are a lot of busy roads in the bay area.
Old 09-22-15, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
As noted above by another, this is actually at least your third recent fear-related thread. And you can't 'splain away the spinning my wheels or hitting the little girl threads. You are played out in my book. Fortunately for you, there are those who don't take the time to scrutinize posts clearly or read all the posts in a thread. As a result, you will always be able to "find work."
Yes I did hit a little girl last month. I'm not quite sure what you mean about me being played out. As far as spinning the wheels, the guy at shop said I shifted gears too abruptly. I need to shift before going up the hill.
Old 09-22-15, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you live? Maybe someone here, could give you some advice on some routes that are relatively car-free. Or, at least, roads that are used by cyclists often enough, that cars are used to the cyclists, and if something does happen, you'll probably see a cyclist within 5 minutes.

GH
Old 09-22-15, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Where do you live? Maybe someone here, could give you some advice on some routes that are relatively car-free. Or, at least, roads that are used by cyclists often enough, that cars are used to the cyclists, and if something does happen, you'll probably see a cyclist within 5 minutes.

GH

Well I live in the bay area, San Mateo County to be exact. Aside from the mountain bike trails I just started, The paved trails I use mostly are The Bay Trail (which is still a work in progress around the whole bay, but has some good spots that go for miles), Crystal Springs 12 mile trail, and once in a while I'll do the 30 mile trail in San Jose.. But The Bay trail and Crystal Springs are the ones I go to the most and usually I do both in a day.

Sometimes I'll ride on Canada Road in Woodside on Sundays or on JFK Road by Golden Gate Park in San Fran when they reserve the roads to cyclists, and I may even do some light riding on some of the roads close by, just to get to another short trail, etc..

So sure if I could figure out some really safe roads in SF/San Mateo County, I'd highly consider.
Old 09-22-15, 02:15 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I did hit a little girl last month. I'm not quite sure what you mean about me being played out. As far as spinning the wheels, the guy at shop said I shifted gears too abruptly. I need to shift before going up the hill.
I still say you wouldn't have had that problem with a Fuji. I don't have that problem with my Fuji.

And I can take my Fuji out on the roads. Hey, even with your current bike, the Fuji riders at the Peformance Bike beginner rides would still welcome you.

And there are a lot of riders in your area on this board that can probably help you figure out pretty safe routes.

GH
Old 09-22-15, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
*yawn* The old "Whatever do you mean?" approach. Welcome to my iggy list, but I will still read the responses of others as they are often quite funny.
Old 09-22-15, 02:34 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Double yawn. You're a painfully obvious troll.
Old 09-22-15, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Your apprehension about riding on roads is very common, and there is nothing wrong with restricting your riding to trails. However, you are undoubtedly inflating the risks of riding on roads and missing a potentially rewarding activity. No activity is risk-free, and almost everyone engages in risky behavior that they minimize due to familiarity. Driving on roads is a prime example. People are so familiar with driving that they minimize the inherent risks, even though thousands of people are injured or killed in traffic accidents every day. In my opinion, cycling on roads is no more dangerous than driving -- assuming that you take proper precautions, just as a prudent driver would do...

As others pointed out, riding on trails is not risk free either. In some ways, riding on trails can be more dangerous if you let down your guard...
Recently I posted to the A&S thread, "Is cycling safe?."

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I once read a post on BF, with which I agree, that non-cyclists see street cycling as dangerous from the point of view of a car driver, and indeed, a bicycle does appear as a vulnerable vehicle from the driver’s seat of a heavy duty enclosed car. Yet for me and probably most cyclists, we usually feel pretty safe if attentive to our surroundings.
Old 09-22-15, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by chasm54
Double yawn. You're a painfully obvious troll.

I'm not a troll at all. Can you prove it? How do I know you're not trolling**********
Old 09-22-15, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Many roads seem much safer than the local bike trail, particularly on weekend mornings. YMMV.
Old 09-22-15, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Do what makes you feel happy. I will suggest going a little outside you comfort zone, using common sense of course. This way your "zone" will grow and you will become more confident & competent and be able to explore and enjoy new scenery.
Old 09-22-15, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by caloso
Many roads seem much safer than the local bike trail, particularly on weekend mornings. YMMV.

Do you know the best way to find them? I tried looking on Google but don't see a whole lot
Old 09-22-15, 06:27 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Hey guys . . . This is just a young guy who doesn't know anything. Zero. Give him a brake, er, break, and let him peddle, er pedal, no peddle, his questions. Gotta start somewhere.

My wife was about like this except that she had me to show her how to do everything. Not dissing her or women, but some people just aren't mechanically minded. We used to ride together on the road on our old road bikes until she got run over by a 1-ton truck after she'd navigated across the lane into the left turn lane. The guy crossed double yellow lines to whack her from behind and he wasn't even turning left. She lived, but won't ride her single on the road ever again.

She only rides her single on local MUPs. She did hit little girls twice, BTW, not her fault really. She was going slowly and they just steered right in front of her at the last instant without looking. Maybe she could have avoided them, maybe not.

Eventually we bought a tandem in '07 and now she only rides Stoker for me and she's a good stoker.

So no, it's not weird to only ride on bike paths. Lots of people do it. I've had about a jillion "civilians" explain to me that I'm an idiot for riding on the road and they'd only ever ride on paths.

Statistically, you're more likely to have a bike accident on a bike path. They're more dangerous because most people on them haven't a clue about how to behave around others. Families seem to think that they're like in their own driveway. I try to explain that no, this is actually much more like playing in the street and plenty dangerous, but they think I'm nuts, too.

OTOH, as my wife's case demonstrates, road accidents are more serious, though friends of mine have also had serious accidents on bike paths. My own experience is that the road is safer. Bike paths totally give me the willies. I hate them. The nice thing about riding with traffic is that cars mostly obey the law and follow certain rules. If you follow the rules for bikes on the road, you'll be safe. However, on bike paths, anything goes. It's almost impossible to ride defensively enough. That said, one has to learn what the rules for bikes on the road are. It's not totally obvious as endless discussions about correct riding behavior on these forums shows.

IMO, the important thing is to develop good riding skills and manners. Bike paths are plenty good enough for that. When you want to transition to road riding, do it by joining a group ride. There's safety in numbers and you can learn by doing what everyone else is doing. How to stay safe on the road is not always obvious. Once have done many group rides and feel safe on the road, try it solo.

In the MTB realm, riding MTB trails will make a huge difference in your bike handling skills. Just keep the speed down. Use your brakes carefully, but use them. Trees are hard, really hard. Among road, bike trail, and singletrack riding, singletrack seems to be the most dangerous. I hear of more folks injured riding singletrack than road and path combined. OTOH, if you have no clue how to behave around cars, road riding might be the most dangerous. Most folks have some idea of how to behave around trees.

However, neither bike path nor single track riding will give you the skills you need for road riding. Riding in traffic is a whole 'nother game. Nor will road riding give you the skills for singletrack. That's a whole 'nother game, too.
Old 09-22-15, 06:31 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
..... I feel like I'm not really being a true cyclist by not doing the roads. When I watch The Tour De France, that looks appealing in a sense and at times I just wish roads were free of cars. So I feel like I'm limiting myself by not doing the roads and I just don't feel like I'm being the full cyclist that others are.......

..... Am I too paranoid? Or is my phobia justified? Should I ride only on the quietest roads? Or is trail riding good enough? I mean since there are a lot of trails both paved and mountains, would I be an idiot trying to ride with traffic?
There is no "proper" amount of road cycling required to be a "true cyclist" (whatever a true cyclist is).

You are [certainly] too paranoid. Injury is part of all sports. Accept the sport... accept the injuries. But remember... cycling is pretty darn safe.

Phobias are irrational fears. So no... your phobia is not rational.
Old 09-22-15, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you know the best way to find them? I tried looking on Google but don't see a whole lot
https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-1...6000/blue/bike

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/courses

Heat maps work great for this.
Old 09-22-15, 07:56 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Riding with motor traffic is fun... and plenty safe.

Bike paths can be boring and dangerous. I fell asleep while riding one once and crashed into a little girl.
Old 09-22-15, 08:32 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Love to play in the street on a bike......
Old 09-23-15, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Hey guys . . . This is just a young guy who doesn't know anything. Zero. Give him a brake, er, break, and let him peddle, er pedal, no peddle, his questions. Gotta start somewhere.

My wife was about like this except that she had me to show her how to do everything. Not dissing her or women, but some people just aren't mechanically minded. We used to ride together on the road on our old road bikes until she got run over by a 1-ton truck after she'd navigated across the lane into the left turn lane. The guy crossed double yellow lines to whack her from behind and he wasn't even turning left. She lived, but won't ride her single on the road ever again.

She only rides her single on local MUPs. She did hit little girls twice, BTW, not her fault really. She was going slowly and they just steered right in front of her at the last instant without looking. Maybe she could have avoided them, maybe not.

Eventually we bought a tandem in '07 and now she only rides Stoker for me and she's a good stoker.

So no, it's not weird to only ride on bike paths. Lots of people do it. I've had about a jillion "civilians" explain to me that I'm an idiot for riding on the road and they'd only ever ride on paths.

Statistically, you're more likely to have a bike accident on a bike path. They're more dangerous because most people on them haven't a clue about how to behave around others. Families seem to think that they're like in their own driveway. I try to explain that no, this is actually much more like playing in the street and plenty dangerous, but they think I'm nuts, too.

OTOH, as my wife's case demonstrates, road accidents are more serious, though friends of mine have also had serious accidents on bike paths. My own experience is that the road is safer. Bike paths totally give me the willies. I hate them. The nice thing about riding with traffic is that cars mostly obey the law and follow certain rules. If you follow the rules for bikes on the road, you'll be safe. However, on bike paths, anything goes. It's almost impossible to ride defensively enough. That said, one has to learn what the rules for bikes on the road are. It's not totally obvious as endless discussions about correct riding behavior on these forums shows.

IMO, the important thing is to develop good riding skills and manners. Bike paths are plenty good enough for that. When you want to transition to road riding, do it by joining a group ride. There's safety in numbers and you can learn by doing what everyone else is doing. How to stay safe on the road is not always obvious. Once have done many group rides and feel safe on the road, try it solo.

In the MTB realm, riding MTB trails will make a huge difference in your bike handling skills. Just keep the speed down. Use your brakes carefully, but use them. Trees are hard, really hard. Among road, bike trail, and singletrack riding, singletrack seems to be the most dangerous. I hear of more folks injured riding singletrack than road and path combined. OTOH, if you have no clue how to behave around cars, road riding might be the most dangerous. Most folks have some idea of how to behave around trees.

However, neither bike path nor single track riding will give you the skills you need for road riding. Riding in traffic is a whole 'nother game. Nor will road riding give you the skills for singletrack. That's a whole 'nother game, too.

Thanks for the reply. But that is scary that your wife got hit by a truck. How bad was the injury? And in your opinion how fast do cars have to be going on the average to kill you? You are right though about A-holes on the paths. Sometimes they won't be looking or won't even move when you shout. I have no idea how some people could act so surprised to see a biker pass them, when they are everywhere, it blows me away. Even when I used to jog on trails before ever bike riding, I'd always make sure to give people space.

One of my biggest fear is going downhill and then a big vehicle turning into you because they didn't see you. I was reading this article about a cyclists who got killed in my area just because the driver turned and wasn't looking.

I do agree with you that you might even have a bigger chance to get hurt on a MUP. But I'm not so sure that the fatality rate is higher, that would be pretty unbelievable. But yes, there are so many people on these paths that act so clueless. And I don't get how parents can leave their little kids on these paths without being concerned. That's how I crashed into a 5 year old girl before. It was partially because of the narrow and cracked surface, but also because it was probably her first time riding.

Lastly, I'm not quite sure where I should ride. I have this book, but I've looked up a lot of the routes and some of these streets are pretty busy. I guess I can start off riding with a group though like you suggested. There's some apprehension. I've read opinions of non bikers, and a lot of these drivers say that bikers annoy them.

Last edited by DreamRider85; 09-23-15 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-23-15, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Riding with motor traffic is fun... and plenty safe.

Bike paths can be boring and dangerous. I fell asleep while riding one once and crashed into a little girl.
Is it really plenty safe though? I hope it is, but how many 17 year old kids are out there, driving like idiots? I know when I was that age, I used to drive like an idiot at times. Why is it that everyone seems to know someone who has got hit by a car?
Old 09-23-15, 05:55 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Imo OP is a troll.
If I am wrong I apologize.
But either way he just doesn't get it and appears to want to do nothing other than ignore the advice he has been asking for in multiple threads and instead try to indirectly tell us all how unsafe and in danger we are because we enjoy riding a bicycle.
My last post on the matter.
Dont feed the troll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.