Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Height Lost Over Aging

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Height Lost Over Aging

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thinking ahead to year 2060 has merit. Pictured is my 1977 Hugh Porter that I bought at age 17 and have had with me throughout the decades. What I no longer have, though, is the height to straddle the very same bike that fit perfectly for decades. I might be the only one thus far on this topic who hasn't had knee replacements, yet my inseam doesn't fit the bike the way it did back when Star Wars debuted.
Old 02-24-20, 03:18 PM
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I have worked “on my feet all day” almost my entire life. I’m 61 now and have only lost 1/4 inch, I cannot tell where it left from, spine or legs or a combination of both.
Old 02-24-20, 03:30 PM

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2
None of my trousers fit me any more
Yea, my trousers have been shrinking.

The length is still fine.
Old 02-24-20, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Loss height with age.

Yes. I have lost height with age. But even more important is the loss of ability to kick my leg over the level top bar of the frame. I was on a cross country tour with a road bike that I rode around town as a daily rider. I found on tour that I was weaker and my foot would hang up on the top bar when I tried to get on my bike, causing me and the loaded road bicycle to stumble around and fall over on to the asphalt in the highway TRAFFIC LANE, which obviously put me and vehicle drivers in danger. This happened 3 times, and after I made it to a town where there was a interstate bus station I had to abandon my bicycle in a motel, cancel my tour and return home on the bus. I now will not buy a bike with a level top bar frame. I only buy and ride a bicycle with a sloping top bar that I can SAFELY throw my leg over.

Last edited by yukiinu; 02-24-20 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2
None of my trousers fit me any more
lol: that is surely true!
Old 02-24-20, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I was wondering if any of you old timers have any experience losing height over time or not fitting your favourite frame? The reason I ask is because I have a wonderful touring bike one size larger than what I would normally ride, but it's still great and comfortable. I'm early 20s, 5'10, and the bike is a 60cm with a 58 top tube from seat tube to head tube.

I haven't had any issues with sizing or fit. Normally I would ride a 57-58cm frame.

Anywho, I have this fear that at some point the frame might not fit me anymore, which would then lead me to having to trade the frame with a fellow C&V member for the desired 57cm.

Have any of you experienced not fitting on a frame as you age?
I am 72 y/o. About 35 or 40 years ago I was fitted for a 59 cm Simoncini. At the time I was 6' 0" tall. Now I am 5' 10-1/2", but apparently my legs are still just as long. Back then you fit a bike by getting the largest frame that you could stand over. My stand over leeway is still the same but the handlebars ar a little farther away. My solution was to get a custom made Cinelli Supercorsa. It has a 59 cm seat tube but the top tube is a little shorter than standard geometry.

Old 02-24-20, 05:57 PM

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Shrinkage happens. Just stay out of the pool.
I was in the pool!!! - George Constanza
Old 02-24-20, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I was wondering if any of you old timers have any experience losing height over time or not fitting your favourite frame? The reason I ask is because I have a wonderful touring bike one size larger than what I would normally ride, but it's still great and comfortable. I'm early 20s, 5'10, and the bike is a 60cm with a 58 top tube from seat tube to head tube.

I haven't had any issues with sizing or fit. Normally I would ride a 57-58cm frame.

Anywho, I have this fear that at some point the frame might not fit me anymore, which would then lead me to having to trade the frame with a fellow C&V member for the desired 57cm.

Get a shorter stem. Your leg bones don't seem to shrink.
Old 02-24-20, 07:56 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

My dad bought a Witcomb from the factory in London in 1991. In 2018 he gave it to me because he could no longer straddle the top tube. I have to admit, the top tube is pretty high off the ground for the frame size. But for context, he was 77 when he passed on the bike to me.

City dock, Annapolis
Likes For GregU:
Old 02-24-20, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

“I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.”

If the worst thing you have to worry about when you become an "old-timer" (this to the OP) is
the loss of an inch, you'll be doing well.
Old 02-24-20, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by PdlPeet

“I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.”

If the worst thing you have to worry about when you become an "old-timer" (this to the OP) is
the loss of an inch, you'll be doing well.
It looks like I got more than I was asking for in terms of advice! It's good to know these things- finance, taking care of the body, knowing your limits, etc. I enjoy bikes as much as the next person here, which is why I tend to ask these somewhat ridiculous (to some) questions- I want to maximize the time I am able to ride while still young and flexible. For example, osteopenia isn't something I considered when cycling.

Cheers.