Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Dutch perspective on cycling in the US

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Dutch perspective on cycling in the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 10:57 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Look, there's nothing wrong with Dutch city bikes. I love them to death, and I think they're really cool.

In areas with little elevation differences, they're probably ideal, but on commutes like mine where everyday is a 400 ft climb to home, one can only guess at how long the "cool" factor would last.
Likes For dynodonn:
Old 07-07-13, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Perhaps you should look at what kinds of bikes that most other cyclists ride beyond what is posted on the pages of Bike Forums (or other enthusiast media), and without your provincial blinders.

It would NOT be so clear to you about the popularity of drop bar bikes, outside of the relatively few weekend club riders and/or high speed enthusiasts such as yourself. Even less popular for most cyclists, including those who have drop bar equipped bikes, is actually riding with hands in the drops, especially within urban traffic.
What is the purpose of such a statement? It seems this thread has gone from one Dutchman's perspective on American cycling to how to improve American cycling state of affairs to what the optimum mode of cycling is or should be. Who cares, frankly? Humans are naturally myopic in their discourse and it takes a bit of extra effort to pull yourself out of your own little circumstance and discuss something on a higher plane. I often find that looking at things in a broader context pushes many differences of opinion into differences of circumstance.

Without falling into this trap of stating yet another personal view of how one individual chooses to live their own life, I believe the following are fairly universal truths about human endeavors:
  1. Different levels of skill dictate different preferences, both for comfort and performance.
  2. Skill is developed through time and effort.
  3. Many people choose not to pursue advanced mastery in favor of finding a "good enough" plateau.
  4. Those who do choose continued conscious improvement often claim that this pursuit has tangential benefits, but are also undoubtedly biased by their own enjoyment of the art itself.
Old 07-07-13, 11:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by seafood
What is the purpose of such a statement? It seems this thread has gone from one Dutchman's perspective on American cycling to how to improve American cycling state of affairs to what the optimum mode of cycling is or should be. Who cares, frankly?

[Snip]
I believe the following are fairly universal truths about human endeavors:
  1. Different levels of skill dictate different preferences, both for comfort and performance.
  2. Skill is developed through time and effort.
  3. Many people choose not to pursue advanced mastery in favor of finding a "good enough" plateau.
  4. Those who do choose continued conscious improvement often claim that this pursuit has tangential benefits, but are also undoubtedly biased by their own enjoyment of the art itself.
Your "universal truths" in points 2-4, represent your own bias that developing bicycling skill, advanced mastery, and continued conscious improvement are the primary considerations of transportation cyclists ( cyclists with a goal of getting from one place to another destination by bicycle).

Your biased view of universal bicycling truth gets further perverted by others who view that only road bikes demonstrate that the owner has developed sufficient bicycling skill, advanced mastery, and continued conscious improvement to ride a bicycle "properly" or "efficiently" no matter how appropriate/inappropriate road bike selection is for the cycling situation.

Perhaps some cyclists just want to get on their bikes and ride without trying to emulate the enthusiast's objective of advanced mastery and continued conscious improvement.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-07-13 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by northernlights
What Jaywalk3r said is indeed true. Spinal discs are gel-like materials in your spine that makes it bendable and flexible. They act like shock absorbers for your spine whenever you're running around, biking, jumping up and down or whatever. Without these flexible discs in your back you wouldn't be able to walk around or do much of anything.

https://www.spine-health.com/conditio...y/spinal-discs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interve...disc#Structure
After having my spine fused due to a crushed vertebrae after a fall, I don't have all those shock absorbers. No upright bike for me. Also, my facial hair is very sporadic. No bent for me, I can't grow the required beard. Anyway, I'm comfortable enough on my drop bar road bike to do the occasional century, even with a gut that won't seem to go away.

But seriously, I take issue with the condescending nature of the speaker on the video regarding road bikes, lycra, racing, all completely off topic to what he was commenting on, which is infrastructure, (and his ridiculous need to see people actually commuting, rather than just out riding for enjoyment). Personally, I'd like to see more people on bikes, whether it's a $$$ carbon fiber racing bike, or a BSO from the local big box. I also don't care what people wear (although I throw on the lycra pretty much every time). I don't get the same feeling from the speaker in the video. IMO, the tone of the video is at a minimum divisive, and without much of a stretch can be seen as downright hostile to certain riders.
Old 07-07-13, 12:01 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertHurst
...standing out of the saddle, a technique that most cyclists would benefit from using a lot more often, even in the city.
Why is that? I must not have continued my conscious improvement to have the advanced mastery to recognize the benefits of using this bicycling skill more often.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-07-13 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-07-13, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Your "universal truths" in points 2-4, represent your own bias that developing bicycling skill, advanced mastery, and continued conscious improvement are the primary considerations of transportation cyclists ( cyclists with a goal of getting from one place to another destination by bicycle).

Your biased view of universal bicycling truth gets further perverted by others who view that only road bikes demonstrate that the owner has developed sufficient bicycling skill, advanced mastery, and continued conscious improvement to ride a bicycle "properly" or "efficiently" no matter how appropriate/inappropriate road bike selection is for the cycling situation.

Perhaps some cyclists just want to get on their bikes and ride without trying to emulate the enthusiast's objective of advanced mastery and continued conscious improvement.
My view of universals is not about any one thing and it's certainly not about bicycling or any one aspect of it. To be honest, I get overwhelmed with the myriad of terms aimed at very specific categorization of bicycling and by the vitriol that ensues surrounding what feels like non-differences. I do not claim that there is mastery in road bicycling and no mastery in non-competitive transportation-oriented cycling. With respect to this thread, I only wanted to point out 2 things:
  1. If an individual is satisfied with their approach and results, it probably doesn't matter very much what anyone else (or the rest of the world for that matter) does or doesn't do. And furthermore, if said individual represents a specific self-selecting group, their behavior should not be expected to be "in the norm" in a wider context of the given activity or population.
  2. If we are collectively concerned over barriers to entry for a wider population and reasons why more people don't plunge into something, then we should think about those people, not the people already doing said thing.
Old 07-07-13, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
WTF is a FLAT bar ??? Other than a totally useless derogatory term invented by some lazy LBS bozo who only likes drop bars. Brake levers as far from the rider as possible ?? Goofy. Turkey levers ?? Dorky Ever see grocery bags hanging on racetoy bike drops ??? ha It is correct to say that palms FLAT down MTB bars are the fastest way to numb hands, and Ergons don't solve the problem. I have no problem with my swept back 70d Raleigh bars at seat height and angled down about 20d. I can grab the bends just fine for going up hills or into a wind. Sure, sometimes I could have used aerobars. On the highway doing centuries, most of my miles are One handed which are also some with my other hand behind my back for aero. Only exception is with a wind close to head on. Your weight needs to be on the heel of your hand to avoid numbness.

Blue jeans are tighter and slower, but I've never had chaffing problems on 80/90 mile rides. I usually will be wearing them on non-Hawaii weather days. Lots of those here and in Europe.

Load bikes are NOT Road bikes. Those are Clubman bikes.
Old 07-07-13, 12:08 PM

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Your "obvious commuter" comment is just prejudice. WTH is an "obvious commuter"?
Someone riding with zero cargo is not an obvious commuter.
Old 07-07-13, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
That's nice, but not applicable in my state.
Sure it is. It's right there in your state's statutes, freely available for you to read:

814.420 Failure to use bicycle lane or path; exceptions; penalty. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, a person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle lane or path if the person operates a bicycle on any portion of a roadway that is not a bicycle lane or bicycle path when a bicycle lane or bicycle path is adjacent to or near the roadway.
(2) A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates of speed.
(3) A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is able to safely move out of the bicycle lane or path for the purpose of:
(a) Overtaking and passing another bicycle, a vehicle or a pedestrian that is in the bicycle lane or path and passage cannot safely be made in the lane or path.
(b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) Avoiding debris or other hazardous conditions.
(d) Preparing to execute a right turn where a right turn is authorized.
(e) Continuing straight at an intersection where the bicycle lane or path is to the right of a lane from which a motor

vehicle must turn right.
(4) The offense described in this section, failure to use a bicycle lane or path, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338

§700; 1985 c.16 §338; 2005 c.316 §3]
I've underlined the relevant passage. It's the equivalent of a "when practicable" clause. Paragraph (2) also provides an exception that may or may not be relevant to bike lanes in your area.
Old 07-07-13, 12:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it was the "bike shop people" who told you that you're more aero with your arms wide, and that your seat should be perfectly level?

Do you realize that you can put wide handlebars on a road bike and that it would still be a road bike?

I can't respond to this stuff.
Did you read his post? He was quite clear that having one's arms wide makes one less aero.
Old 07-07-13, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The natural shock absorbers you want to use are your arms and legs.
That would require using the hands to absorb weight, something that is undesirable if comfort is a priority.
Old 07-07-13, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
Sure it is. It's right there in your state's statutes, freely available for you to read:

814.420 Failure to use bicycle lane or path; exceptions; penalty. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, a person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle lane or path if the person operates a bicycle on any portion of a roadway that is not a bicycle lane or bicycle path when a bicycle lane or bicycle path is adjacent to or near the roadway.
(2) A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates of speed.
(3) A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is able to safely move out of the bicycle lane or path for the purpose of:
(a) Overtaking and passing another bicycle, a vehicle or a pedestrian that is in the bicycle lane or path and passage cannot safely be made in the lane or path.
(b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) Avoiding debris or other hazardous conditions.
(d) Preparing to execute a right turn where a right turn is authorized.
(e) Continuing straight at an intersection where the bicycle lane or path is to the right of a lane from which a motor

vehicle must turn right.
(4) The offense described in this section, failure to use a bicycle lane or path, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338

§700; 1985 c.16 §338; 2005 c.316 §3]
I've underlined the relevant passage. It's the equivalent of a "when practicable" clause. Paragraph (2) also provides an exception that may or may not be relevant to bike lanes in your area.

All nicely said, but you forgot to realize with a mandatory bike lane law, an LEO can still issue you a citation, then you have to take the time and energy to fight it out in court.
Old 07-07-13, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A comfortable long-distance position does not somehow become uncomfortable for short rides, although it may be inappropriate for other reasons.
Relative comfort need not be constant with distance. In other words, if Bike A is more comfortable than Bike B for a 100 mile ride, that does not imply that bike A is more comfortable than Bike B for a 10 mile ride.

For control purposes it helps to be off the saddle, sort of floating over the bike with the ability to shift the weight forward or back. In fact there is really no other way to maneuver a bike well when it comes to 'panic stops' or quick turns.
Wow! That's just wrong! If your bike were more comfortable, perhaps you wouldn't need to come out of the saddle as often. You certainly don't need to come out of the saddle for a panic stop. In fact, doing so isn't desirable, since it raises your CG, which is something you do not want when stopping quickly. One can move their CG back, if necessary, without coming out of the saddle.

Last edited by Jaywalk3r; 07-07-13 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
And if we had Wikipedia at the time Einstein proposed his theory of E=mc2, there would be guys like you calling him non-sensical.
To start with, E = mc^2 is a consequence of Einstein's special relativity theory, not the theory itself. It's not even the most interesting consequence of the theory. Further, Einstein started with two postulates, and mathematically derived special relativity from those. It's easy enough to check his mathematical logic, so, no, guys like me (math guys) would not be calling him non-sensical.

Calling you non-sensical, on the other hand, would be perfectly justified!
Old 07-07-13, 01:10 PM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It would NOT be so clear to you about the popularity of drop bar bikes, outside of the relatively few weekend club riders and/or high speed enthusiasts such as yourself.
Ironically, both my A and B commuters are "hybrids" with flat bars. Nevertheless, I acknowledge the attraction of a sturdy steel drop bar utility bike. The salsa vaya and surly crosscheck are very fine all around utilitarian bikes. If I had room for an n+1 I might even own one. I also see the attraction of dutch style bikes in a dense, flat, and high-theft urban setting.
Old 07-07-13, 01:19 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Someone riding with zero cargo is not an obvious commuter.
There are many thousands of daily trips on those routes and the vast majority of these are commutes or utility trips. In fact, on some of those routes bike traffic greatly exceeds car traffic. I hope this helps you understand how absurd your fanciful image of a Portland filled with dutch-style city bikes is.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 07-07-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Look, there's nothing wrong with Dutch city bikes. I love them to death, and I think they're really cool. But I think you are unfairly dismissing another kind of cycling you have very little experience with. There is nothing about a road-style frame that makes them any less competent for commuting. I'm not sure why you seem to be insisting on covering everyone else with the same blanket that covers you instead of just chalking it up to people being, ya know, different, and having different needs. You don't do any long-distance riding, so a city bike works for you. Great! I want to do city riding as well as being able to, say, go bike-camping, and I can't afford 2 bikes, so it makes more sense to me to get a bike that does both well.
You're far different from some other posters in this thread, in that you don't assert that a Dutch city bike is too heavy to be ridden in the USA.

Currently, my only bike is a steel singlespeed 29er. I'm car-free, so it's my commuter, as well as my recreational ride.

Don't get me wrong, the bike is more fun than any other bike I've ever owned. I love it. However, had I realized that it would be my primary transportation when I bought it, I would have purchased something completely different. It certainly works as a commuter, in conjunction with a big backpack, but it isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination. (I would argue that it's far better suited to the task than a road bike, but that isn't saying much.)

Since my primary use for a bike is commuting, my next bike will be a purpose built commuter. That will allow me to use my singlespeed for only recreational riding, which in turn will allow me to make small adjustments that make it even better at the stuff that it's good at.

If I'm buying a bike for a specific task, I'm not going to make any compromises with it. It won't have derailer gears or rim brakes, its chain will be fully enclosed, it will have plenty of cargo capacity, it will have plenty of clearance for wide tires and fenders, it will have a dynamo hub, and it won't require stretching out over the bike to ride. In other words, it will be optimized for commuting and utility riding.

I'm under no illusions that such a bike is ideal for other kinds of riding. Would it work? Absolutely, but other bikes would be better suited. But those other kinds of riding aren't why I'm interested in that kind of bike. I'm interested in that kind of bike because, after a few years of being car-free, I recognize that those features are quite desirable for a commuter/utility bike, something the Dutch figured out long ago.
Old 07-07-13, 01:26 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
WTF is a FLAT bar ??? Other than a totally useless derogatory term invented by some lazy LBS bozo who only likes drop bars. Brake levers as far from the rider as possible ?? Goofy. Turkey levers ?? Dorky Ever see grocery bags hanging on racetoy bike drops ??? ha It is correct to say that palms FLAT down MTB bars are the fastest way to numb hands, and Ergons don't solve the problem. I have no problem with my swept back 70d Raleigh bars at seat height and angled down about 20d. I can grab the bends just fine for going up hills or into a wind. Sure, sometimes I could have used aerobars. On the highway doing centuries, most of my miles are One handed which are also some with my other hand behind my back for aero. Only exception is with a wind close to head on. Your weight needs to be on the heel of your hand to avoid numbness.

Blue jeans are tighter and slower, but I've never had chaffing problems on 80/90 mile rides. I usually will be wearing them on non-Hawaii weather days. Lots of those here and in Europe.

Load bikes are NOT Road bikes. Those are Clubman bikes.
nice rant. but its quite snobby to assume that what works for you works for everyone. i, for example, never have problems with hand numbness. i did, however, have problems with foot numbness, hot spots, and knee pain, at least until I switched to clipless racing shoes ().

Last edited by spare_wheel; 07-07-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 01:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
In areas with little elevation differences, they're probably ideal, but on commutes like mine where everyday is a 400 ft climb to home, one can only guess at how long the "cool" factor would last.
If you can't make a 400 foot climb on a heavy bike, you won't be able to do it on a light bike, either. It's the engine, not the bike, that matters. My daily load often varies by as more than the difference between a light and heavy commuter, and makes no noticeable difference in my commute.
Old 07-07-13, 01:31 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
you don't assert that a Dutch city bike is too heavy to be ridden in the USA
nice strawman.
Old 07-07-13, 01:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
All nicely said, but you forgot to realize with a mandatory bike lane law, an LEO can still issue you a citation, then you have to take the time and energy to fight it out in court.
Welcome to the USA. In many jurisdictions, the LEOs are fairly clueless about bike laws, so that's a risk you take regardless of the location or laws. It doesn't mean that the exceptions to the "use the bike lane" laws aren't there.
Old 07-07-13, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice strawman.
It isn't a straw man at all. There have been a few posters in this thread that claim that city bikes are too heavy to be practical.
Old 07-07-13, 02:14 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
claim that city bikes are too heavy to be practical.
Bollocks. No one has argued this.
Old 07-07-13, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bollocks. No one has argued this.
Read the thread for yourself, and you'll see that that has been the crux of a few arguments, dynodonn's, for example.

The argument is bollocks, but that hasn't stopped people from making it.
Old 07-07-13, 02:25 PM
Banned

If you can't make a 400 foot climb on a heavy bike, you won't be able to do it on a light bike, either. It's the engine, not the bike, that matters. My daily load often varies by as more than the difference between a light and heavy commuter, and makes no noticeable difference in my commute.
I wasn't referring to weight, just the standard one speed many Dutch bikes come with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.