Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for light touring setup

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Suggestions for light touring setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
say nun with your lightweigh gear are you warm and comfy when you camp in cold conditions.
i've just got rid of my thorn tourer and all my camping gear so basically i'll start from scratch when funds allow.i will now bw using my raleigh 753 for all my cycling ,about to order front dynamo wheel new dynamo light front and rear mudguards so i can sort my bike but the lightweight sleeping gear will be challange me thinks.can it be done i mean dry and warm.
Old 09-26-13, 07:03 PM
Sage

Bikes: Chesini Precision 84, Kuota Kredo, Sabbath Silk Route, Van Nicholas Pioneer,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Still, any of the "Endurance" bikes made today look interesting for road touring if you don't need racks and panniers.
Yes, I have only recently realized just how interesting they are. If the Roubaix is robust enough to handle the rough, cobbled roads of northern France, then it ough to be robust enough to tour. As we've seen, the Roubaix has quite low gearing, it's ligh and nimble enough to climb and descend well with a small amount of baggage. The stack and reach geometry is almost the same as my touring bike, so long distance comfort is assured. The frame has clearance for 28mm tyres. So lots of pluses, and I can follow your thinking with the RS.

Despite having two touring bikes in my garage already, this ultralight touring paradigm has grown on me since I met such a tourist in New Zealand a few years ago. He was riding a CF road bike with seat post rack fitted and was carrying little more than a set of street clothes and a rain jacket. And could cover up to 200km per day quite comfortably if so desired. Since I'm considering a new road bike, I think the Roubaix might just be the one that could do double duty as a both roadie and a tourer.
Old 09-26-13, 08:11 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
say nun with your lightweigh gear are you warm and comfy when you camp in cold conditions.
i've just got rid of my thorn tourer and all my camping gear so basically i'll start from scratch when funds allow.i will now bw using my raleigh 753 for all my cycling ,about to order front dynamo wheel new dynamo light front and rear mudguards so i can sort my bike but the lightweight sleeping gear will be challange me thinks.can it be done i mean dry and warm.
I stick to 3 season touring so don't anticipate experiencing anything close to freezing, but I have tested out my tent, pad and sleeping bag on frosty nights in my back garden just in case. I was ok in my 40F bag, wearing socks, long johns, and a long sleeved top. IMHO the lightweight approach could be successful in winter conditions with a few gear changes and a bike with fatter tires than my Cervelo. You might want to beef up the tent a bit as the Contrail is single walled.

I usually take a Marmot Driclime Catalyst jacket as my insulating jacket for 3 season touring. If I was expecting it to be really cold I'd replace it with a down jacket.

Last edited by nun; 09-26-13 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 11:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
I stick to 3 season touring so don't anticipate experiencing anything close to freezing, but I have tested out my tent, pad and sleeping bag on frosty nights in my back garden just in case. I was ok in my 40F bag, wearing socks, long johns, and a long sleeved top. IMHO the lightweight approach could be successful in winter conditions with a few gear changes and a bike with fatter tires than my Cervelo. You might want to beef up the tent a bit as the Contrail is single walled.

I usually take a Marmot Driclime Catalyst jacket as my insulating jacket for 3 season touring. If I was expecting it to be really cold I'd replace it with a down jacket.
well when funds allow i will need a new down bag and matt i'll stick with the tent i have i think 2 person mountain hardware spear 2 heavy for lightweigh i know but have you seen the price of tents madness.
Old 09-27-13, 01:37 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
well when funds allow i will need a new down bag and matt i'll stick with the tent i have i think 2 person mountain hardware spear 2 heavy for lightweigh i know but have you seen the price of tents madness.
Yes the prices can get ridiculous. My Contrail cost me $199 when I bought it, and that's pretty good IMHO for a 1.5lb tent, even if it is only a single wall.
You can get tents made of Cuben fiber that really break the wallet. Yama Mountain gear has a nice one for $420

https://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-sw-1p/

and then there's a UK firm call Terranova that really breaks the bank with a one person tent for $1050.

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-an...-ultra-1-tent/
Old 09-27-13, 04:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CRAZY .yeah I'll just make do with what i have a fella can go overboard on all this gear,if a tent keeps out the weather and enough room to move about inside i'll suffer the extra weight.i think a reall good bag and matt that packs up tiny is the way to go as long as your dry and warm that will do for me.