Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why new bikes are an incredible bargain.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why new bikes are an incredible bargain.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 11:07 PM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Much, if not most of the adult population in the US has set the proverbial pile of cash on fire with car purchases, with even modest late-model used economy cars falling to a fraction of their purchase cost in value while still being paid off by their owners! I realize most people justify that as a need and not a recreational toy like bicycles are to most, but for anyone who commutes or otherwise uses their bike for actual transportation, I don't think laying out even $10,000 on something relied on every day is unreasonable. Not strictly necessary but not unreasonable either.
Guilty, way over $30,000 for a 4x4 toy. 10 years of transportation.
I then did $3,800 for 8 years of transportation. enlightening!! Bikes are much less expensive than some vehicles.

burning Cash on cars isn't worth it, however. It might be time to spend a little more and get a sprinter van. I could easily excuse it with week end trips, van sleeping/cooking. Go see more, no hotels, no out to eat cost.

but then I'll have to buy gas...... and I think. what a waste of money....
Old 04-06-18, 11:17 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I then did $3,800 for 8 years of transportation. enlightening!! Bikes are much less expensive than some vehicles.

burning Cash on cars isn't worth it, however. It might be time to spend a little more and get a sprinter van. I could easily excuse it with week end trips, van sleeping/cooking. Go see more, no hotels, no out to eat cost.

Money's gotta go somewhere, just try to put it where you'll most appreciate what it buys...

The truly astute people are the ones who put their money to work for them (investing), not the other way around. But a stock portfolio doesn't look nearly as glamorous as a shiny new car in the garage, or $15k bicycle in the den
Old 04-06-18, 11:22 PM

Screw 15k!
I did go 6k, but I got like 30 - 40% off or something.

I also don't see it when I am riding it. But the sensations........ compared to anything else I've ever ridden while riding it. worth every cent! Priceless actually.
Old 04-07-18, 04:48 AM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Values over time can be difficult to compare. It's not as simple as inflation.

In 1990 I bought a Diamond Back Topanga (cromo, Exage) for £325. A studio flat cost £16,000. A Ford Fiesta XR2i cost £10,500.

The equivalent bike today, well I don't know. But I expect at least double. Same with the car. However, the very same flat is ten times the price.

Things are not in line with how they were, so as ever, it comes down to supply and demand - things will sell for what people pay.
Old 04-07-18, 05:35 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I find that if I can keep my ego out of it, I actually make some decent decisions.
Old 04-07-18, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Regarding resale value .... did anyone here buying a TV or a microwave oven even Consider resale value? And cars ... cars lose value tremendously quickly.

Bikes offer more for less .... and of course there are those who prefer downtube friction shifting, auto-unbalancing sidepull brakes, and 40-pound steel frames. Just as some hat press-fit BBs while many others have no problems with them. I have a bike with FSA crankset and have no problems with it, and two aluminum bikes with CF forks and both ride well--not harsh or jittery--- and I have an all-steel 1984 Raleigh as comparison.

When it gets down to personal taste, we can no longer discuss the mass market, and vice versa.

As i read it, the OP was saying that in general, people just wanting to buy a bicycle a step up form Walmart crap have a much wider selection with much better technology and a much higher level of utility than say, 40 years ago.

In the town where I grew up, i could buy a bike at Sears or Montgomery Wards, or buy a Schwinn. There might have been two bike shops .... but I only knew of one. The bike seemed pricey compared to the department store offerings, but I rode a lot so it wasn't wasted. I had a choice---drop bars or flat bars.

Nowadays I can buy any one of dozens of brands, styles, models, with a rich palette of geometries and builds. For the same (inflation-adjusted) price I can get a bike which is just as strong, half the weight, with twice as many usable gear ratios, which is easier to shift and stop ... For a person who wants to buy an entry-level "real" bike .... unquestionably, everything is worlds better.

People who are approaching this from a personal perspective are missing the point. Most people don't know how to or have the tools to break down and rebuild bikes. Most people don't want to. most people buy Entry-level bikes or a little better, don't know that much about bikes and riding because most haven't bought one before.

"Entry-level" sort of implies "entering the market" right?

Most people who post here are far from entry-level riders .... and aren't for long once they get hooked. But I own two bikes--a sub $500 Dawes and an (after rebate) $800 Fuji which would qualify, and both are great rides. And while that tank of a Schwinn served me well ... so do these, and they do Everything as well or a lot better.

So .... yes, I'd prefer to find an old steel-framed bike no one wants with a square-taper BB which I could build up into something great. I could go with full 5800 105, 1600-gram wheelset, CF bars (aero or traditional,) Ultegra Hollowtech BB---I have have all the parts on hand, and all the tools, so my all-in cost might be a couple hundred for the Craigslist cost ... or maybe as little as $25.

But that's not what we are talking about.

We are talking about the rider who says, "I am ready to buy a serious bicycle which will last a long time and work well throughout its life, but i am not racing, I don't play the "label" game so I am not looking for a prestige boutique manufacturer ... i want a really good bike which will keep me rolling well and happily for a long time.

"I don't know too much about bikes, and I want to buy this pretty soon, so i cannot research for a year and shop for a year to find that amazing barn-find or whatever. I want to go to a shop and buy a bike."

Nowadays, that person is in a lot better shape than that same person with those same desires 40 years ago.
Old 04-07-18, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
I just bought a lightly used Trek Domane 2.3 with a Shimano 5800 groupset for the same price in absolute dollars that I spent on my first real bike in 1979-80, a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. Modern bikes, especially used, are incredible bargains.
Old 04-07-18, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
I just bought a lightly used Trek Domane 2.3 with a Shimano 5800 groupset for the same price in absolute dollars that I spent on my first real bike in 1979-80, a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. Modern bikes, especially used, are incredible bargains.
That is a whole other discussion, but it is part of the landscape.
Old 04-07-18, 08:30 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Initially, running would be cheaper, but if you seriously get into running, you could easily go through 4 to 6 pairs of running shoes a year. Personally, I don't spend more than $50 or $60 on trainers. But if running was my thing (and there was a time when it was), I would probably not skimp on running shoes. So good running shoes at, say, $125 to $150, and you are easily upward of $600/year or more just in running shoes.
I would suggest in the long run running is not cheaper. What is the cost of two knee replacements and two hip replacements from the shock of running that has ruined them.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-07-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-07-18, 08:42 AM
Banned

When you take lust and snobbery out of the equation, The most bang for the buck comes in the mid range bikes.

It kind of goes for anything. Take a Sears washing machine. They have anyway in the past offer their good-better-best line. The most bang for the buck was the "better" machine.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-11-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-07-18, 10:47 AM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB1985-Ber....c100011.m1850
Old 04-07-18, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
The thing is, its a significant initial outlay. People could by rights go out and buy a $15000 TV but the market says most people stop somewhere between 32 and 55inch televisions that cost less than $2000. The average retail price of a bike is less than $800. Most people stop once they realize the law of diminishing returns. Some people do not. Most bicycle stores cater for those people who want to spend less than $800 to around about $2500. It hurts to have expensive bikes on the floor that don't sell. They can get you one in if you want one, but that's not really their bread and butter. Maybe they might have a small choice of more expensive bikes, but generally these are the ones that sell. . . . . . . .
I haven't purchased a TV in the last 25 years. However, I sure made up for it on bikes and camera gear. No regrets
Old 04-07-18, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
When I was a kid I got my first new bike a Raleigh Arena that cost £65. When I wanted a cheap heavy duty mountain bike that I didn't have to worry about being stolen I paid £65 over 25 years later. The more recent bike is great, similar quality, much better brakes, indexed gears, more comfortable, similar grade steel. Yes its a cheap chinese rigid mountain bike but got the job done when I bought it back in 2010 or so. Probably put 3x the weight on it the newer bike than my old Raleigh Arena. I have other bikes now but really can't criticise the Pagan Arrow. It's lack of suspension kept it simple and it has been brilliant. It has done thousands of miles.

Old 04-08-18, 10:44 PM

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
My bike is 34 years old. Still looks and rides as good as the day it was new. Can't say that for any of the automobiles I've owned.
Jon
Old 04-09-18, 08:32 AM
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

1. For the money spent today, the performance is far better than what was available for the same inflation adjusted dollars 20, 30, or 40 years ago. Indeed, for $2,500 retail, you get a level of performance that was not available at any price even 15 or 20 years ago.

2. While cycling involves some up front costs, once you get your equipment, it is among the cheapest sport and leisure activities around.
Old 04-09-18, 09:08 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65

Lol. Well, if you can manage to focus more on riding and less on constantly upgrading, cycling is a relatively affordable activity.
Old 04-09-18, 11:09 AM

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
So, for $400 to $600 retail, you are getting a bicycle that will get you around town, maybe even take on a 50 or 60 mile charity ride or multi day supported tour (provided it is a more leisurely social type tour), and the components, though plasticky will likely last for many years and if they fail, replacements are cheap.
"Maybe" take you on a leisurely 50 mile ride?

Don't be so elitist when it comes to "plasticky" entry-level bikes. I've put over 6,000 all-weather commuting miles (as well as several centuries) on a big-box-store-assembled $400 hybrid bike, and I only had to have the rear wheel re-laced when a few spokes popped.

There isn't a road ride on Earth that I could do on my $4k carbon Di2 bike, that I couldn't do on that "charity ride" bike.

Last edited by Riveting; 04-09-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Regarding resale value .... did anyone here buying a TV or a microwave oven even Consider resale value? And cars ... cars lose value tremendously quickly.
I have never once bought anything considering its resale value. I buy things, and I run them into the ground with use. If I can get anything back a that point, great, if not I got my value out of it. If I decide later I need/want something else, it becomes a lesson on making a better decision off the bat next time.
Old 04-10-18, 05:25 PM
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I believe there are enough used parts out there to build a very decent ride without using too much money. This takes a lot of time though.
Old 04-11-18, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Metieval

My $30,000 crew cab pick up with a hard tonneau cover could be lived in if I really had to. A $15,000 plastic bike doesnt offer too much protection.
Old 04-11-18, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent
My $30,000 crew cab pick up with a hard tonneau cover could be lived in if I really had to. A $15,000 plastic bike doesnt offer too much protection.
apples to apples, can a $3,800 car be lived in just like a $30,000 crew cab?

Can a $250,000 car be lived in , and offer as much protection as a $30,000 crew cab?
Old 04-11-18, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
If new bikes weren't incredible bargains, how does one explain the prevalence for the N+1 itch? Rarely do I see people buy a new car and then immediately start wanting another.
Old 04-11-18, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
If new bikes weren't incredible bargains, how does one explain the prevalence for the N+1 itch? Rarely do I see people buy a new car and then immediately start wanting another.

Agree it usually takes a couple of months before people start clamoring for a new car.
Old 04-11-18, 01:22 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Actually applying logic to the situation, one might surmise that while most people cannot afford to by a $20,000-$50,000 car every year or two ... but most people who really want to can buy a $1000-$2000 bike every couple years (other situations depending, of course.)

make sense?
Old 04-11-18, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually applying logic to the situation, one might surmise that while most people cannot afford to by a $20,000-$50,000 car every year or two ... but most people who really want to can buy a $1000-$2000 bike every couple years (other situations depending, of course.)

make sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.