Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got stung riding today.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Got stung riding today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 10:45 AM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1, 1984 Cannondale, 1979 Motobecane Team Champion, 1994 Fat City Yo' Eddy Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Insect strikes happen all the time, but the bigger ones sound like an old Batman episode - "THUD!" "POW!" "WHACK!"

A lot of times I get a glimpse of a dark blur in the air before impact. Latest sting was 3 days ago on the uppper inside thigh, but I never saw that one coming. Yeah, I got some strange looks while wildly pawing at the area.
Old 07-04-06, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had something fly into my mouth and I immediately spit it out. Only it didn't go all the way out, it seemed to cling to my lip....I then tried to swat it off which made it angry and I then found out very quickly it was wasp/bee ....i had a swollen and throbbing lip for about a hour. At the time I was drafting behind someone and I still got hit. I too think it might have had something to do with a colourful jersey.
Old 07-04-06, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Reminds me to throw some steroid ointment (I'm not during the Tour, so no matter) in my bike bag. I've had it happen a couple of times. I will generally immediately stop and shake out the helmet, also ready in case the critter is now free to sting me once free of the hair and helmet.

Also have gotten them in the jersey front. One once got me through the bike shorts on the inner thigh.

While I don't get seriously hurt, my body reacts poorly at the injury site - swelling, lots of heat and then serious itching for days. The steriod or cortisone ointments really relieve the symptoms.

Yellowjackets are the worst. Did a ride across Washington State a few years back. Went through the town of Twisp which is home to the world's largest population of the critters and apparently the town name is "Indian" for Yellowjacket.
Old 07-04-06, 06:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Each time I get a bee sting I get an adrenaline rush, no kidding it's great and I have a great rush so I welcome them.

steppy
Old 07-04-06, 07:31 PM
A/K/A "Alpha Male"

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rover
I was riding last month and caught a bee in a helmet vent. It started buzzing around and making a ruckus. I slammed on the brakes, jumped off the bike, and shook out my helmet. I didn't actually get stung, but there was an old woman who was very confused as to why a spandex clad man was running around her yard waving his helmet in the air.
Old 07-04-06, 07:35 PM
A/K/A "Alpha Male"

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In north Georgia we get these bugs called "June Bugs". They are a really hard shelled bug that is a little larger than a Bumblebee. There are thousands of them in early July. This morning, while descending at 28 MPH, I got hit by six of them within 100 yards . It felt like I was getting shot by a Wrist Rocket Slingshot.
Old 07-04-06, 10:48 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode motorcycles in the early 1990's, and wore a bandana around my neck to keep the collar of my leather jacket from getting so grimy. I hit a bumble bee with my neck just above the bandana, which was quite a thud, and the bee fell between my neck and the bandana, and let me have her opinion on my failure to yield right-of-way to low-flying aircraft. You don't just jump off a motorcycle at 60 MPH to shake a bee out of your bandana!. The sting was centered over my trachea, and I wondered if it might swell enough to restrict breathing, but it turned out to OK. Bumble bees are tough, the Rottweiler of bees, so she might have turned out OK, too.
Old 07-05-06, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got stung on the bottum lip last season. Horrific pain! A minute later as I was wimpering home, snot pouring out of my nose, and my tube got stung by a rock. That was a bad day. I did how ever learn the importance of benadryl, highly recommended!