Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What touring tire do you use?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 08:11 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am saving for my Surly LHT and hope to get it soon. Are the stock tires on it any good for touring? I would like to get 35mm tires to replace them. What would be a good tire to get?
Old 09-03-11, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I use Marathon Supreme tires but I didn't pay retail for mine... dunno if I would spring for them otherwise. I've had good experiences with kenda's puncture resistant tires as well as gatorskins. I have no idea what is on the LHT now but I'd assume they'd be alright to use rather than just buying new tires. Ride out in the lane where the car tracks are you'll be less likely to flat. I seem to have good luck regardless of the tires on my bikes.
Old 09-03-11, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Continental Tour Ride. Most Conti road tires I don't like, but this tire is great, it last a long time and won't puncture...at least not yet! I only put 50psi in them loaded and they will absorb road shock like crazy. And best part about these, their cheap, I get them for $22 when I find a sale. Their not made for loose sand or mud but they will handle almost anything else.
Old 09-03-11, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, the more lane riding you can do, the fewer flats. Those shredded tire wires will go through steel plate.

I've been pleased with Maxxis Overdrive. 38c. They seem to be good for about 4000 loaded touring miles. $30.

Schwable is the industry standard. They suggest the Marathon Plus as their most puncture resistant touring tire. May try those 3000 miles from now. Hope they're easier to get on/off than my XRs were.
Old 09-03-11, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I run the Schwalbe marothon slicks. Not super puncture resistant, but puncture resistant = rolling resistant, and I like to roll. If I was going some place with a lot of thorns or whatever, but for normal roads I get good results from the slicks.
Old 09-03-11, 11:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will love the Surly LHT! I got mine and yes, it comes with the Continental touring tires. I rode about 400 miles in them and had no flats since then. I did run over some close calls such as glass and shards even with a total of 260 pounds of pressure (my body + the bike + gear). It still went strong. I am also considering Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for my trip in North Africa.
Old 09-04-11, 12:13 AM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panaracer's Crosstowns 700 X 32 has rolled over broken glass, metal shards, and burning embers.

Has rolled unscathed through road hazards without a hitch.

PS.

I've got to get better rims though...
Old 09-04-11, 05:57 AM

Bikes: 2009 Salsa Fargo; 2009 Scott CX Team; 2007 Trek 7.5FX; 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert; 1990 GT Timberline; Custom Raleigh CrMo roadbike from forever ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the tires mentioned work fine which should tell you that it is hard to pick a poor one. I use 700x35 for a size and think its the right size tire for ride, speed and handling. I use Marathon Supreme and can not find fault with them. But another bike uses Vittoria Hyper's (could not find Supremes anywhere) and I'm finding a tire that seems to work identically to the Supremes.

The Marathon Supremes took me across WI this year on a mix of road, gravel, dirt and limestone path. In 90+ deg temps, torrential rain (one day) and the ever present humidity. I carried 46 lbs of "stuff" since I camped often. I'm a big guy too so the bike wasn't lightly loaded and the tires worked very very well. I couldn't have asked for a better tire. I do admit that I'd use any tire mentioned and would expect the same results.
Old 09-04-11, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my marathon supreams laster 300 miles before the sidewall split .
the best tire i found so far is panaracer ribmo .if i was pulling a trailer (im not) i would use a good set of slicks .
Old 09-04-11, 07:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend Schwalbe Marathon based on my experience of thousands of miles touring using them but I dont think you can go far wrong with any off the big company's touring tyres.
Old 09-04-11, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
stock tires are good for touring, I replaced them because I ride over a drawbridge every day and the angled tread made for a squiggly ride over the metal grate. Just ride them until the rear wears then replace it. Look around and you might find a Marathon XR in 35mm.
Old 09-04-11, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put Schwalbes on my LHT when I bought it 4 years ago. I think they're Marathon Supremes, and they're 32's. I love them. They seem to ride smoother and more easily than my previous Specialized Armadillo 28's. I still haven't had a flat, and they look brand new. I'm very pleased.
Old 09-04-11, 03:55 PM
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I seriously doubt I will ever tour on anything else after having these for so long. Very, very few flats - even with three bikes and 17,000 miles!
Old 09-04-11, 04:51 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
my marathon supreams laster 300 miles before the sidewall split .
the best tire i found so far is panaracer ribmo .if i was pulling a trailer (im not) i would use a good set of slicks .
Panaracer Ribmo is a great tire, but there's one small problem with that tire...it doesn't come in a 27. Next.
Old 09-11-11, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Giant Rincon & Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour (700x35). I've had 3 flats in about 8 months. I prob have around 3k miles on em and they still have plenty of tread. I've heard them described as "boat anchors," but I think they roll better than the stock Conti's. They are kinda pricy at 45-50 bucks each. I recently put them on my newly acquired Surly LHT, so I'll prob get a pair of Schwalbe Durano for my roady bike.

Previous posters are correct. If you ride on the shoulder (like I do) you are much more likely to get a flat. I would ride in the car lane, but most of the year there are a huge number of college students from up north (Chicago), and yeah, I don't wanna die.

Last edited by captainkanji; 09-11-11 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many to choose from.
I like Bontrager race lite hardcase 32C.
Good rolling surface and they take a lot of road crap with no flats.
Old 09-12-11, 06:54 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by backwheel
I would recommend Schwalbe Marathon based on my experience of thousands of miles touring using them but I dont think you can go far wrong with any off the big company's touring tyres.
I too, like the regular schwalbe marathon - provide a good balance of protection and tread life, plus are a reasonable value.
Standard conti contacts are a decent choice also, they seem easier to fine at LBs . At least in the US.
Old 09-12-11, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres too. I've also used Marathon Plus ATBs. Very few punctures (none with the ATB tyres). I had the 42mm versions I think (they were among the largest 700c ones available). They fit fine under mudguards on my LHT (56cm 700c).
Old 09-12-11, 11:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggri1
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres too. I've also used Marathon Plus ATBs. Very few punctures (none with the ATB tyres). I had the 42mm versions I think (they were among the largest 700c ones available). They fit fine under mudguards on my LHT (56cm 700c).
Could you post some pics please? Im getting the same frame and I just wanted to see what's the clearance between the tyre and the seat tube. Thanks!
Old 09-13-11, 05:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

here are two photos of the rear wheel / seat post, with the Marathon Plus tyres. I checked the tyre size and they are actually 700x38, not 42mm as I had previously stated. (I think the ATBs that I had were 42mm, and they actually fit similarly, there was just less clearance with the mudguards). 56cm long haul trucker.

Cheers,
Aurel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P9134355.jpg (95.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg
P9134356.jpg (92.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-13-11, 05:47 AM
Saving gas on my commute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have seen LHTs come with the Conti TourRide tires and with Conti Contact tires. My friend's LHT came with Conti Contact tires, which I like better than the TourRide tires. I have one bike in my stable with TourRide tires and one with Contact tires. If you plan to spend a fair amount of time on gravel, the TourRide tires feel a little more sure footed. Otherwise, I don't like how the tread handles in turns, especially when wet. The newer Conti Contact tires have a better suited tread for street riding.

My personal choice for a touring tire is the Vittoria Randonneur Pro. The ride and grip in corners are better in y usage than on both Conti tires mentioned above, and they have served me well as far as puncture resistance is concerned. I have pulled out many goathead thorns from the tread, and not one has punctured the tube. (I hope the bike doesn't hear me, as I'm sure to doom myself to a flat on my next commute.)
Old 09-13-11, 10:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggri1
Hi,

here are two photos of the rear wheel / seat post, with the Marathon Plus tyres. I checked the tyre size and they are actually 700x38, not 42mm as I had previously stated. (I think the ATBs that I had were 42mm, and they actually fit similarly, there was just less clearance with the mudguards). 56cm long haul trucker.

Cheers,
Aurel.
that's great, thanks a bunch! I can see that you're using v-brakes without travel agents. Are you using drop bar levers adapted for them or did you somehow manage to fit regular levers onto the drop bar?
Old 09-13-11, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've only used Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35C, very few flats (+/-18000kms touring) around Europe.
Old 09-13-11, 03:36 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Marathons on my Surly LHT (26" wheels).
Old 09-13-11, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrizer
that's great, thanks a bunch! I can see that you're using v-brakes without travel agents. Are you using drop bar levers adapted for them or did you somehow manage to fit regular levers onto the drop bar?
I just switched back to a drop bar after having the butterfly bars for a few years. (I think I'll go back to butterflys, they feel more stable and comfortable for me on this bike). The levers I'm using with the drop bars are Tektro RL520s, which are 'road-bar' levers designed for direct-pull brakes (e.g. the Shimano XTs, as shown in my pic'). I actually also have the RL720 in-line levers mounted, and although they say that they're for canti' brakes, they stop me just fine with the direct-pull brakes (perhaps a little soft-feeling).

With the butterfly bars I was using normal XT levers and Paul's Thumbies. I liked that setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.