Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anybody familiar with the Gmc Denali road bikes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anybody familiar with the Gmc Denali road bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 09:00 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
BTW - I don't believe I have ever seen a tube that is not marked with the size on it. Some have the lettering molded into the black tube,(hard to find sometimes) ..... some have white letters on them. One could bring the old tube when looking for a new one if the valve length is in question. No one needs to guess. Or one could try using a ruler to measure the stem length?
Old 12-04-09, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
Yeah, I guess I was thinking of the new Varsity with 23mm tires.
The new "Schwinn Varsity" comes with 28's as well, I believe. Same exact situation with the "deep" shraeder-drilled rims. Again, there are a lot of these bikes out there, and they need replacement tubes like anything else. And as you noted, the stores where the bikes are purchased don't support them. Someone much wiser than me figured out that it's worth manufacturing replacements, and made them available to bike shops. We stock them, and sell them pretty regularly-
Old 12-04-09, 09:10 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
All right, maybe it was the gmc yukon. I know I saw a blue bike in a walmart with 23s or 25s on deep v, vitesse rims, with 36 spokes!
Old 12-04-09, 11:39 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Looks fine to me. Valve is shorter than optimal, but I've done this as well.
3 people on this thread think that is the correct length valve to put into that rim. The valve just barely clears the top of the rim. No wonder there are so many bad mechanics out there.
Old 12-04-09, 12:56 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
3 people on this thread think that is the correct length valve to put into that rim. The valve just barely clears the top of the rim. No wonder there are so many bad mechanics out there.
If it's stupid, and it works, then it isn't stupid.
Old 12-04-09, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could somebody give me a website for the tubes that will fit my wheel? i just went out to two bike shops and target and none of them carry the right tubes unfortunately. i bought two myself but they did not fit. so if anyone knows finds the correct tube even if i need an adapter please let me know! thanks again for the advice
Old 12-04-09, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
even though the rims are deep, i dont see why a regular valve adapter wouldnt be the simplest solution. it would take up the extra space around the valve hole that the tube comes in contact with. it may cause the end of the presta valve to knock around on the inside of the rim, but that could be taken care of, more or less, by securing the valve nut. maybe two valve adapters, one on each side, secured by the valve nut? probably not the best long term solution, but it would make buying tubes easier and get you back on the road.
Old 12-04-09, 09:28 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6
could somebody give me a website for the tubes that will fit my wheel? i just went out to two bike shops and target and none of them carry the right tubes unfortunately. i bought two myself but they did not fit. so if anyone knows finds the correct tube even if i need an adapter please let me know! thanks again for the advice
Do you know how to read?

I gave you the answer in post #2.
Old 12-04-09, 09:29 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by sweatforfun
even though the rims are deep, i dont see why a regular valve adapter wouldnt be the simplest solution. it would take up the extra space around the valve hole that the tube comes in contact with. it may cause the end of the presta valve to knock around on the inside of the rim, but that could be taken care of, more or less, by securing the valve nut. maybe two valve adapters, one on each side, secured by the valve nut? probably not the best long term solution, but it would make buying tubes easier and get you back on the road.
Exactly what I said in post #2. 2 pages back.
Old 12-04-09, 09:47 PM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solutions:

1) Have the bike shop order the tubes. See below.
63278Standard Schrader Valve TubesTUBES SUNLT 700x20-25 (27x1)SV 48mmVALVE
700x20-25 (27x1) • SV • 45mm FL : 849NY : 100AL : 1000IN : 75PA : 100MN : 200TX : 928CO : 98WA : 0FLC : 0CA : 769

2) Buy a 48mm presta valve tube AND a schrader/presta rim adaptor.
3) Buy a bike that isn't so freaking "odd" that no one has tubes in stock for it.
4) If you're tempted to use the short valve schrader tubes like some of the people have recommended.....just poke yourself in the eye or something else equally painful.
Old 12-04-09, 09:49 PM
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was the valve lenght the issue??? Or did you buy the wrong size tube?
Old 12-04-09, 09:51 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by PlatyPius
3) Buy a bike that isn't so freaking "odd" that no one has tubes in stock for it.
4) If you're tempted to use the short valve schrader tubes like some of the people have recommended.....just poke yourself in the eye or something else equally painful.
3) It's a walmart bike that retails for < $200 CAd. It's quite popular as are the supercycle SC1800's.

Originally Posted by Yan

Looks fine to me. Valve is shorter than optimal, but I've done this as well.
4) Thank you.No professional mechanic would say that's the appropriate valve length tube.

There are a lot of things that are "functional" that are just plain wrong. Functional doesn't mean it's correct. And that picture, is not correct, **** it's not even functional half the time.
Old 12-04-09, 09:52 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3) It's a walmart bike that retails for < $200 CAd. It's quite popular as are the supercycle SC1800's.
4) Thank you. If a bike ever went out on a repair with a valve that cleared the rim in the manner depicted in the picture below. You are honestly fired. No professional mechanic would say that's the appropriate valve length tube.

And you still have not answered the question....What hazard am I subjecting myself to? By using a short valve?
Old 12-04-09, 09:56 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by crazyed27
And you still have not answered the question....What hazard am I subjecting myself to? By using a short valve?
Good for you, you can pump it up.

The other 50% of the people out there won't be able to. So your advice is wrong. That is the WRONG vavle length for that rim, as PROVEN by your picture. A schreader valve that only clears the rim by that margin is TOO SHORT. I've worked on these bikes, repaired flats for that specific bike many times before. WE can pump it up with our compressor. A customer with a floor pump, or a mini-pump or any other of the billion variations of pumps out there might not be able to. Or at worst they'll try and pull the valve out through the rim for more clearance and create a pinch flat.

That is not the correct length valve, and you telling us that you can pump it up makes no ****ing difference.. Any professional mechanic that lets a bike leave with a flat repair like that is a ****ing moron and doesn't deserve the "professional" part of that title.

I'm not sure how may more different ways I can convey this.
Old 12-04-09, 10:04 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3.The bike was given to him...he did not buy it.

4. And if it works it works, I would rather do it myself and have it not be the exact way a bicycle shop would do it, then take my bike in to the LBS and ripped off...just because I did not buy a LOOK from you.
Old 12-04-09, 10:05 PM
cab horn

4. And if it works it works, I would rather do it myself and have it not be the exact way a bicycle shop would do it, then take my bike in to the LBS and ripped off...just because I did not buy a LOOK from you.
The only reason LBS exists is to rip you off.

All of my former and current managers have said, "Operator - your job here is to rip off customers" - no more no less.
Old 12-04-09, 10:08 PM
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The other 50% of the people out there won't be able to. So your advice is wrong. That is the WRONG vavle length for that rim, as PROVEN by your picture. A schreader valve that only clears the rim by that margin is TOO SHORT. I've worked on these bikes, repaired flats for that specific bike many times before. WE can pump it up with our compressor. A customer with a floor pump, or a mini-pump or any other of the billion variations of pumps out there might not be able to. Or at worst they'll try and pull the valve out through the rim for more clearance and create a pinch flat.

That is not the correct length valve, and you telling us that you can pump it up makes no ****ing difference.. Any professional mechanic that lets a bike leave with a flat repair like that is a ****ing moron and doesn't deserve the "professional" part of that title.

I agree.

One thing I have seen happen when someone puts the short stem in there is the stem ripping out of the tube. Why? Because it's too short. They try to get the floor pump head on the stem, but to get it on far enough to push the valve down, they have to yank on the stem; eventually pulling it out of the tube.

Another amusing problem is when the bike sits for a while and the tire gets low. Rider doesn't notice, goes for a ride, comes back, and there isn't a valve stem any longer. Not visible at least. Valve stem is down inside the rim somewhere.... Ever tried letting the air out and putting the valve back through the hole when it's still partially inflated and you can't get to the valve?

Fun.
Old 12-04-09, 10:10 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess I am a pumping professional..my hand pump worked like a charm!!!
Old 12-04-09, 10:11 PM
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ripped off????

The tube WITH installation is $10. Wow. What a rip off. We are such evil, evil people; what with wanting to actually make money and all. But then, I guess you don't demand a paycheck from your job, right? You're happy to just go in and work for free.....
Old 12-04-09, 10:11 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Another amusing problem is when the bike sits for a while and the tire gets low. Rider doesn't notice, goes for a ride, comes back, and there isn't a valve stem any longer. Not visible at least. Valve stem is down inside the rim somewhere.... Ever tried letting the air out and putting the valve back through the hole when it's still partially inflated and you can't get to the valve?

Fun.
Pop the tube? Wear hearing protection.
Old 12-04-09, 10:13 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree.

One thing I have seen happen when someone puts the short stem in there is the stem ripping out of the tube. Why? Because it's too short. They try to get the floor pump head on the stem, but to get it on far enough to push the valve down, they have to yank on the stem; eventually pulling it out of the tube.

Fun.

Thanks for that, finally a real answer to my question. Next time I buy tube I will keep this in mind.
Old 12-04-09, 10:16 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ripped off????

The tube WITH installation is $10. Wow. What a rip off. We are such evil, evil people; what with wanting to actually make money and all. But then, I guess you don't demand a paycheck from your job, right? You're happy to just go in and work for free.....
I don't like or recommend my LBS. That's all I am saying.
Old 12-04-09, 10:44 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason LBS exists is to rip you off.

All of my former and current managers have said, "Operator - your job here is to rip off customers" - no more no less.

You cant even tell me what could go wrong when I asked...I asked it three times...all you could do is go on about how it is the wrong size..blah...blah...and even threw in the metrics. If I asked my bicycle mechanic the same question and he acted like you did on the forum. I would grab my bike and walk out of his shop.

Then I would go to PlatyPius bike shop and give him my business because he can answer my question with real logic.
Old 12-04-09, 11:07 PM

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You cant even tell me what could go wrong when I asked...I asked it three times...all you could do is go on about how it is the wrong size..blah...blah...and even threw in the metrics. If I asked my bicycle mechanic the same question and he acted like you did on the forum. I would grab my bike and walk out of his shop.

Then I would go to PlatyPius bike shop and give him my business because he can answer my question with real logic.
So operator is wrong because someone else answered the question you asked him or do you just want some one to entertain dumb questions? I agree you may be able to pump it up..is that a cap on the stem - sorry but I can't see the 10x10 picture that well - if it is, let's see it without the cap because it definitely look wrong.
Old 12-04-09, 11:14 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by tonski
So operator is wrong because someone else answered the question you asked him or do you just want some one to entertain dumb questions? I agree you may be able to pump it up..is that a cap on the stem - sorry but I can't see the 10x10 picture that well - if it is, let's see it without the cap because it definitely look wrong.
His questions were not dumb ass.... He was asking for legitimate help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.