Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What kind of (near-)accidents of being hit by a car have you experienced most?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Most of my dangerous accidents or near-accidents of being hit by a car/truck were:
from the Front, in opposite direction (face to face)
15.79%
from the Front, in non-opposite direction (e.g. car stopping in front of me, or I T-boned a car)
7.02%
from the Side, in same direction
36.84%
from the side, in opposite direction
1.75%
from the side, in cross direction (e.g. T-boned)
24.56%
from the Rear
7.02%
Other
3.51%
I never had even a near-accident scare
3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of (near-)accidents of being hit by a car have you experienced most?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 12:24 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
Near-accident is pretty subjective, so it's hard to compare my experience with others there. Is a close pass a "near accident"? If so, how close?
Yes I would classify a close pass as a "near accident", a pass that is close enough for you to think "wow, that was close!" and perhaps take a deep breath thinking you had just barely been spared an accident immediately afterward.

Everyone taking the poll should be congratulated for their being safe and sound so far.
Old 11-09-10, 12:47 PM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Left Hook first, Right hook second.
Old 11-10-10, 04:57 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Right, Left, Front and Rear. Not many from below or above.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-11-10, 12:20 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Right, Left, Front and Rear. Not many from below or above.
Any accident from below or above would most likely fatal and impossible to be recounted here
Old 11-12-10, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I've been hit three times by cars. All three at low speeds when the car was turning. The first was the most dramatic: I was traveling through a residential area on a through street, a car at a stop sign was stationary, the driver looked both ways and accelerated when I was right in front of her. I went to the hood of the car, the bike went under and she kept driving with us like that for 1/2 block. I wasn't hurt, but got a new bike.
The second was when I was again on a residential through street and a man barely hit me as he turned into his drive. He stopped before he even knocked me down and was horribly frightened he had hurt me. Another happened when a man barely knicked my rear wheel making a right hand turn. Realizing what he did, he floored it and sped away before I could get the license.
Old 11-12-10, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Lately the most common type of near miss I encounter is in the traffic circle in the parking lot of where I work. Apparently the important people are too important to stop texting to look through their windshield to see a cyclist in the bike lane which is within the traffic circle. This happened twice this week already. One time it was a lady in a convertible. I yelled at her so loudly, "HEY! you almost HIT ME!", that she turned her head away from her Blackberry and looked visibly shocked that someone was there.

My plan from here out is to not use the bike lane and to stay to the left while inside this thing. It's ridiculous enough that people text while driving, but in a traffic circle!?

EDIT: The bike lane continues on the streets adjoining the traffic circle, which is why I normally stay in it the whole time. I was just too lazy to draw it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Traffic Circle..JPG (30.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by cellery; 11-12-10 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-12-10, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me, the ratio is about 3:2 for "buzzes":"right hooks". About 3x a year, I get some fool turning left from the other direction in front of me, and never has it been close enough for me to grab brake. A little tug has done it, and I've always had enough gap to give them the verbal thrashing.