Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you get annoyed at people doing intervals/sprints?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you get annoyed at people doing intervals/sprints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
goldiblocking, which is what I call one or more riders going too slowly for me to sit behind them, but fast enough that I don't feel like putting out the gas to pass them.
This phrase is perfect.
Old 08-24-20, 04:46 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
This is why I do my structured training inside. No leapfrogging back and forth, no worry about someone running into my back end when my interval is over.
I do my intervals on the trainer as well - just easier to control. So on the road that makes me the old guy going along at a pretty good clip, occasionally getting leapfrogged. When I catch back up, I ask the rider what program they are doing. Most are more than happy to explain, and any awkwardness is gone the next time they blow by.
Old 08-24-20, 04:52 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
When he passed, I'd just say "Don't mind me. I'm just doing intervals."
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-24-20, 05:03 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I suspect he was making the mistake of thinking it was about him. You could ignore him, or as you passed him, or when he re-passed you, just say in an apologetic voice, "Intervals".

I play leapfrog with people all the time, largely because I'm large, and therefore fast on the downhills and slow on the uphills. But I really don't want to give up the momentum I gain on the downhills just because they'll pass me again later. I played leapfrog with one woman for 20 miles the other week - she and I were going the same average speed, but with me there's more 'fluctuation around the mean.' I hope she didn't think it was about her!
I did this starting around an 8 mile hilly loop. Climbed up to a couple. He pulled away She pulled ahead slower on the gentle descent, (I was riding fixed.) Then for the next 4-5 miles, I passed her every hill and she, me every downhill. I started saying things to the effect of "just doing what we fix gear riders do!" as I passed. Last mile, the hills leveled out, we rolled together and chatted. She caught her waiting husband. I met him, then they went on at a pace that would have fried me. Fun!
Old 08-24-20, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I had this happen to me when I kept catching and passing a woman I recognized as a local racer. I didn't want her to think I was being a creep or a jerk.
Old 08-24-20, 10:12 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I do this. I've also had people who, on the second pass will turn me and say with a smile/laugh "Doing intervals?" Usually leads to a good laugh. More so if I am suffering.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-25-20, 12:59 AM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
you do you and don't worry about the perception of others unless you pass unsafely.

too many variables, goals, aims, competing agendas on your average road ride to continually smooth everyone's feathers down.
if you're on an easy ride, then it's never a problem. if you're on a training ride, you're on a training ride. sometimes you feel great
or blah when you start, then you feel worse or better. what's wrong with picking your spots or upping the ante here and there?
if grandpa or the young punk or the mamil doesn't like it, they can always reroute, lay back or blow past.

most people that ride enough will quickly figure out what's going on. if they don't, a wave/acknowledgment goes a long way.

and yes, "intervals" is always better than "strava segment" even if the latter is true.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-25-20 at 01:06 AM.
Likes For diphthong: