Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Smooth out twist shifters or will they break in over time?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Smooth out twist shifters or will they break in over time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post
You inserted opining devoid of information.

You confirm my suspicion that you haven't spent 10 seconds looking at one of these - if you had you'd know how simple they are to disassemble and reassemble. You're preoccupied with inserting - and now trying to rationalize opinion you've already previously been told is unwelcome - but don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the actual question that was asked.
You have some odd suspicions. Having actually worked on these bikes professionally I know they aren't really designed to come apart and then back together on occasion you can get them back together but most of the ones I have seen or worked on can come apart but getting them back together is not really possible. I get it you have a one bike and you want to believe it is way better than it actually is because you spent your money on it or you are desperate to prove the bike is better so long as you put a ton of time into it but that is just simply not the case.
I get it

Lol - now you're at least providing entertainment. No, you clearly *don't* get it...at all. I've previously spelled out what the situation is with this bike - it apparently just bounced off of you.

As far as your experience working on bikes, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you would at least comprehend its simplicity if you had ever looked at one. I had the first one apart in no time having never held one in my hands before. I just looked at it - oh, that's simple - done. Four pieces including the rubber grip, five if you include the cable.

Say g'night Gracie.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 04-25-22 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Vegan was already advised in another thread that I got it thinking I was going to use it as an inexpensive beater spare for times when my Giant Cypress needed work but it proved to be too small so I'm gifting it to someone - I'm not going to dump a bunch of money into it replacing all the hardware, I just want to make sure that everything that's on it now works as well as possible. If they want *they* can put money into a new bike they're getting for free.

I also like tinkering with things whether it's a bike or my Corvette with a Weiand supercharger on it and if I can enhance the functionality of the factory pieces that'll be great. It's completely possible to do on cars and other mechanical things but the notion of this seems to fall outside of what Vegan and others are comfortable considering. Their default is "Big Box bikes are complete crap period" but appears to be based on "common knowledge" rather than personal experience since he's made clear he isn't aware of how simple these shifters are to take apart and put back together. So far I'm not finding there's anything particularly wrong within the bike other than the assembly and adjustment was shoddy.
I would add that the quality and construction of the components is also a huge shortcoming of these bikes, and that’s why many are suggesting that trying to alter them for better performance is a waste of time.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-25-22, 02:41 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I get it

Lol - now you're at least providing entertainment. No, you clearly *don't* get it...at all. I've previously spelled out what the situation is with this bike - it apparently just bounced off of you.

As far as your experience working on bikes, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you would at least comprehend its simplicity if you had ever looked at one. I had the first one apart in no time having never held one in my hands before. I just looked at it - oh, that's simple - done. Four pieces including the rubber grip, five if you include the cable.

Say g'night Gracie.
Getting something apart isn't a problem, getting it back together is another thing. However have fun.

You are an odd person but hey if spending more money then a bike is worth and spending a ton of time on a bike that will not get better and will not be worth any more and in the end is a very disposable item go for it.
Old 04-25-22, 02:51 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Vegan was already advised in another thread that I got it thinking I was going to use it as an inexpensive beater spare for times when my Giant Cypress needed work but it proved to be too small so I'm gifting it to someone - I'm not going to dump a bunch of money into it replacing all the hardware, I just want to make sure that everything that's on it now works as well as possible. If they want *they* can put money into a new bike they're getting for free.

I also like tinkering with things whether it's a bike or my Corvette with a Weiand supercharger on it and if I can enhance the functionality of the factory pieces that'll be great. It's completely possible to do on cars and other mechanical things but the notion of this seems to fall outside of what Vegan and others are comfortable considering. Their default is "Big Box bikes are complete crap period" but appears to be based on "common knowledge" rather than personal experience since he's made clear he isn't aware of how simple these shifters are to take apart and put back together. So far I'm not finding there's anything particularly wrong with the bike other than the assembly and adjustment was shoddy.
I missed this one but fair enough I just want straight to the quote you made. But you lack reading comprehension so I guess we are even. My "common knowledge" is actually "personal experience" maybe you missed it all but I work in the industry and have had many of these bikes across my bench and the benches of my co-workers for many many years. This isn't opinion based in just random stuff this is actually having worked on them and having help co-workers with them and having worked around much older mechanics who have worked around many more bikes than I have. I know it sounds like I am trying to be a braggart but that is not the case I am just explaining how I know about these bikes.\

Not really a Corvette person but I am not in a man in a mid-life crisis or Biden. I mean a Plumb Crazy Purple Plymouth Roadrunner could get me excited but I do love old cartoons and the color purple, Meep Meep. To me I would rather have a more practical car but something I could also camp with as well.
Old 04-25-22, 03:16 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My only observation, I think silicone grease is fine with plastics.

But I don’t know if it is as good as Johnnisnot for twist shifters.

John
Old 04-25-22, 04:33 PM

Getting something apart isn't a problem, getting it back together is another thing. However have fun.

You are an odd person but hey if spending more money then a bike is worth and spending a ton of time on a bike that will not get better and will not be worth any more and in the end is a very disposable item go for it.
Here are the directions for getting these shifters back together.

1. Push the two halves of the shifter together ensuring the cable is aligned correctly.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 04-25-22 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-25-22, 07:28 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
I get it

Say g'night Gracie.
If you dont' like the replies, simply ignore. No need to be snarky.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 04-26-22, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
If you dont' like the replies, simply ignore. No need to be snarky.
So shall it be written, so shall it be done...
Old 04-26-22, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
This morning I just happened to be working on a bike that needed a shifter upgrade. The shifters were the old Grip-Shift X-Ray units matched with Shimano XT derrailleurs. Upshifting was sticky and the system was hard to keep indexed well.

So out of the archives I pulled out some new old stock SRAM X0 shorty twist shifters and mated with some X9 derailleurs. New cables and housing of course.

Now it all shifts like butta! I love the light action of the X0 shifters and derailleurs; much less friction than the X-Rays. The new shifters are spring loaded to somewhat overcome the derailleur spring pull. The 1:1 actuation ratio of SRAM is probably going to be more resistant to mis-alignment, wear and dirt than the 1:1.7 ratio for Shimano.

New cables and housing likely helped as well.

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 04-26-22 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-26-22, 04:40 PM

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I generally replace grip shifters if I can't easily re-cable them. Also, the rubber grip starts to get sticky and makes a mess. Grip shifters have their place, but fussing with them is a waste of time and aggrivation
Old 04-26-22, 05:37 PM

Not really a Corvette person but I am not in a man in a mid-life crisis or Biden. I mean a Plumb Crazy Purple Plymouth Roadrunner could get me excited but I do love old cartoons and the color purple, Meep Meep. To me I would rather have a more practical car but something I could also camp with as well.
I'd love an old RoadRunner - any of the old muscle cars are great. Lol midlife crisis - I've loved 'Vettes since I was a kid with a special fondness for the C2 and C3 generations. My Dad had a '65 327/350 4speed - it was the fastest car I'd ever driven....until I got my current '80. The original "Disco Era" smog motor and 3 speed auto has been replaced with a ZZ4 crate motor, Weiand Supercharger and beefed-up 700R4 overdrive trans.

As far as practicality definitely not a family car but I transported 12 2.0 cu ft bags of mulch with it because my pickup was down and I haul groceries all the time - the 'Vettes since '78 have actual storage space. Probably not going to move furniture or major appliances with it though.
Old 04-26-22, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
TLDR thread summary:

OP: Should I leave these cheap shifters alone?
Reply #1: Yes
Posts 2 - 35: Kindergarten good fight.
Post 36: Corvettes

You’re welcome.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-26-22, 07:20 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
MyRedTrek should remember that replies—even those he doesn’t like or says have zero value—may be entirely valuable to other readers who may have the same lofty, but perhaps misguided, ambitions.

If he only values the advice of certain members and doesn’t want to hear from others, I might suggest the forum’s PM function.