Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

women and genitalia problems

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

women and genitalia problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still don't understand what women fear will happen to their genitals. I haven't seen any reports of actual injury. (Although the repetitive rubbing of the clitoris could have unintended consequences.)
Old 06-08-12, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Women's forum does exist. The requirement for access is membership for at least 30 days and a minimum of 50 posts. If you are female and would like access to the Women's forum, send a PM to Siu Blue Wind or Tom Stormcrowe.

Whether or not a private women's forum is needed has been debated numerous times. It has been determined by the Administrators that there is a need for it so it's not going away.

Please keep this thread on topic with the OP's initial post. Discussions about the Women's forum should be done in a new thread.

CbadRider
Forum Moderator

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 06-08-12, 08:32 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by garethzbarker
Anyway... Yes I really only use brooks. Wish I didn't sometime. For instance I use it on my carbon ultegra road bike. the saddle weighs half as much as the frame But they seem to be the only saddles that I've found so far that for for me. Recently I've been torturing myself on a little racing saddle on my new bike friday but I'm not sure if that will last.

I can instruct her on the saddle, I might even rough it up a bit for her; not enough for dimples just a couple of hundred km to soften it up and take the slippery feature away.
Here's a suggestion courtesy of one of the other posters (SpookeayBird) ...
Turn the bicycle upside down
Soak and ring out two washcloths
Place them on the underneath part of the saddle about where your sitbones should be located
Leave them there for about 2 hours
Remove them and right the bicycle
Go for a ride.
We tried that trick on my most recent B17, and it worked very well. That saddle was comfy in no time compared with the rest.

I'd kind of like to move on the bar position. I know it's about comfort but her bars are like 6 inches above the saddle right now. Women should be a little higher than men but by how much? I wanted to get her to try around one inch above at least. I feel up on those big riser bar is ultimately unsafe on descents, dangerous for your spine and painful on the ass on long rides.
My handlebars are a little higher than my saddle, maybe an inch or so. Try lowering them a little bit at a time. It's easier to get used to a bicycle setup if you make the adjustments in small increments.
Old 06-08-12, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Here's a suggestion courtesy of one of the other posters (SpookeayBird) ...
Turn the bicycle upside down
Soak and ring out two washcloths
Place them on the underneath part of the saddle about where your sitbones should be located
Leave them there for about 2 hours
Remove them and right the bicycle
Go for a ride.
We tried that trick on my most recent B17, and it worked very well. That saddle was comfy in no time compared with the rest.

My handlebars are a little higher than my saddle, maybe an inch or so. Try lowering them a little bit at a time. It's easier to get used to a bicycle setup if you make the adjustments in small increments.
Wow I've never heard of that thanks. wonderful advice!
Old 06-08-12, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those still wondering what I was originally talking about this Yale study bothered my wife. She just started cycling recently.

https://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...ndlebars-women

And for all you dude's laughing have a read:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/13...ale-fertility/
Old 06-08-12, 10:00 AM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. . . Not long ago the news here issued a warning to . . .
was this a legit news event or a time filling "what you need to know" segment of news that had all of one person's troubles? I've seen a lot of what you need to know news stories that border on the ridiculous.
last week the top of the news lead story, laundry detergent comes in blue gel packs that your child COULD eat. no child actually harmed, you just need to know.
if your wife hasn't had an issue by now, things will continue to be ok. just lay off snacking on Tide detergent, it seems to be out of control.
Old 06-08-12, 10:00 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
For those still wondering what I was originally talking about this Yale study bothered my wife. She just started cycling recently.

And for all you dude's laughing have a read:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/13...ale-fertility/

OK, first of all, there's nothing in that article about cycling having a negative effect on female fertility.

Secondly, the article says:
The study, published in the May edition of the Journal of Sexual Medicine, analyzed 48 women who qualified because they routinely ride at least 10 miles per week.

The participants were asked to ride their own bike, mounted on a stand so it did not move. They were then asked if they experienced “soreness, tingling and other sensations” in their nether regions.

Where to begin ... ?

a) 10 miles per week is nothing.

b) one wonders what sort of bicycle a person who rides 10 miles a week rides, and whether or not that bicycle is set up correctly, and whether or not any thought at all has been given to getting a decent saddle, or wearing cycling clothing or anything like that. There's no discussion about what size these women are, or their age, or fitness levels. The article omits so much information it's hard not to burst out laughing at it.

c) while riding a trainer is easier than cycling outside in general, it is harder on the "nether regions". One test of a really good saddle is if you can manage an half an hour on the trainer without any numbness etc..

Putting women with next to no cycling experience (and goodness only knows what sort of setup, saddle, clothing, etc.) onto a trainer is asking for “soreness, tingling and other sensations”. Of course they're going to experience “soreness, tingling and other sensations”. It would be a miracle if they didn't. But the “soreness, tingling and other sensations” will go away a few minutes after they get off the bicycle.

And if these same women rode outside for the same length of time they were on the trainer, most likely they would not experience any “soreness, tingling and other sensations” at all ... or very little.

It almost sounds like a set-up ... like whoever did the so-called "research" set the study up in his/her favour to prove his/her hypothesis.

d) the article doesn't say how long these 48 women rode their bicycles on the trainer.

e) the article doesn't mention any conclusions. It says they asked 48 women "if they experienced “soreness, tingling and other sensations” in their nether regions", but it doesn't say anything like 12 of the 48 women experienced “soreness, tingling and other sensations” after 30 minutes of riding, or whatever.

The article is completely inconclusive.

As I've mentioned, I've done a lot of cycling outside and I rarely experience any “soreness, tingling and other sensations”. However, put me onto a trainer, even with my broken in beautifully comfortable B17s, and I experience “soreness, tingling and other sensations”.

One of the reasons for that is because when I ride outside I move around on the saddle, I shift my position periodically. I also stand up and stretch now and then. Whereas, on a trainer, I tend to remain in basically the same position for a longer period of time. Another reason is because the bicycle on a trainer might not be the same levelness as it is on the road. The back wheel is up on the trainer, and you've got to do something with the front wheel to try to make it level. There are wheel holders, but I'm not convinced they're quite the right height.

If your wife is not experiencing any discomfort when she rides ... I wouldn't worry about it. If she is experiencing some discomfort, then work through some of the suggestions here.

Last edited by Machka; 06-08-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the source of all the commotion:

Cycling can mean less fun in bed for women?

CHRISTINA BOYLE

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cycling is good for a woman’s health — but it may have the opposite effect on her sex life.

Women who bicycle regularly can experience reduced sensations in their pelvic region if their bike’s handlebars are positioned too low, researchers at Yale University discovered.

Female cyclists who set their handlebars lower than the bike’s seat are at risk of putting increased pressure on the nerves and blood vessels around their genitalia, which can lead to a loss of feeling in under-the-covers activities.

But at least there is a simple fix: The researchers found that by adjusting the handlebars’ height, the rider’s capacity for sexual pleasure will be less likely to be compromised.

The study, published in the May edition of the Journal of Sexual Medicine, analyzed 48 women who qualified because they routinely ride at least 10 miles per week. The participants were asked to ride their own bike, mounted on a stand so it did not move. They were then asked if they experienced “soreness, tingling and other sensations” in their nether regions.

The link between cycling and male erectile dysfunction has been previously established, but the sport’s impact on women has not received as much attention until now.

cboyle@nydailynews.com
Old 06-09-12, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Haro beasley, Stumpy26"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I see this thread, get up get a cup of coffee expecting some good stuff for a Sat morning. I vote MACHKA the winner.

Hijack. My Brooks B-17 on a Mtn bike is awsome, I like the wet the underside idea, too late. Mentioned also was it being slippery. New stiff dry maybe, once broke in no issues for me.

Hijack #2 Two girls out for a ride in Scottland were having so much fun it started to get dark. Nancy said to Mary follow me I know a shortcut. Mary says Iv'e never come this way before, Nancy says it's the cobblestones.

Slimeball for the day award.
Old 06-09-12, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Women's issues are no more 'personal' than men's issues
It's all about proper bike/saddle fit and comfortable cycling shorts.
My wife Kay has pedaled over a quarter million miles; issues have been minor, usually when breaking in a new saddle.
A friend rode a century while being 8 months pregnant.
Her only complaint was that she could not ride in the drops!
Quit worrying and just enjoy the ride!
Old 06-10-12, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Women can look at Teamestrogen.com forums. They have a lot of good stuff.