Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 11:42 AM
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Mount the light to the head tube?
Not possible on my Propel.

Originally Posted by jsk
Some of the lights come with a stretchy rubber strap for mounting, instead of the round plastic bracket. The one I have works fine with my 3T aero drop bars. Don't remember the model off the top of my head, will try to find out later and report back.
I have one that has a rubber strap, but there is still a round piece on the light itself that only fits round bars. I need a light with a flat mount surface for this to work.

Originally Posted by echappist
start with tate lab univesal mount. it's clunky, but seems to do the job (i use it on my Zipp Vuka Sprint aero road bars)
Assuming this is the one you mean, the mount part is the problem. The Giant Contact SLR Areo doesn't have any round space to attache the mount. - https://www.amazon.com/Tate-Labs-Uni...+lab+universal
Old 08-22-16, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
get a garmin mount with a gopro attachment on the bottom and put your light there?

if not that, helmet mount works, too
Old 08-22-16, 12:03 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
get a garmin mount with a gopro attachment on the bottom and put your light there?

Originally Posted by ancker
Assuming this is the one you mean, the mount part is the problem. The Giant Contact SLR Areo doesn't have any round space to attache the mount. - https://www.amazon.com/Tate-Labs-Uni...+lab+universal
suggestion by @hack may be what you need to look at. out of curiosity, where do you mount your computer?
Old 08-22-16, 12:17 PM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have a solution to mount a light on aero road handlebars?
Our Wednesday group rides are edging on sundown this time of year and none of my lights will mount on my Giant Contact Aero road bars...
Same problem here. Solution? Ride my other bike with traditional bars.

I could probably suction cup down a car GPS on my Cervelo aero bars they are so huge.

out of curiosity, where do you mount your computer?
Stem.
Old 08-22-16, 12:33 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why not use the one Giant makes for the bars?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...hbs/511/72972/

Last edited by hack; 08-22-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 03:22 PM
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've thought about that, but if I was going that route, I would do what @hack suggests below.

suggestion by @hack may be what you need to look at. out of curiosity, where do you mount your computer?
I dremeled the bar-fly I have to fit the very very narrow space between the stem and where the bars flare out.

Why not use the one Giant makes for the bars?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...hbs/511/72972/
Two reasons: Trying to avoid spending $45 on a new mount. (Silly, I know) That mounts exactly where the Giant Clip-on aero bar adapters mounts. Can't use both at the same time. (I don't have them yet, but might for next year.)
Old 08-22-16, 07:45 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Any of you 11 speed folks have a 10 speed Sram cassette with a 27 or 28 you're willing to part with for a bit of cash? I had a 27, brand new, but I can't find it since the move. In a box somewhere I'm sure.

The 25 isn't cutting it around here with a standard and a fat ass.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-16, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I think I have one I could part with. I'll have to look when I get home.

I haven't gone 11-speed yet, but I'm thinking about making the transition. It looks like I might be able to get a really good deal on eTap, so I think I may finally make the transition.
Old 08-23-16, 08:09 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one that has a rubber strap, but there is still a round piece on the light itself that only fits round bars. I need a light with a flat mount surface for this to work.
I have a Lezyne Power Drive 900XL. It has a round piece for mounting round bars, but it's removable and the light easily mounts to flat-top bars.
Old 08-23-16, 08:27 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Any of you 11 speed folks have a 10 speed Sram cassette with a 27 or 28 you're willing to part with for a bit of cash? I had a 27, brand new, but I can't find it since the move. In a box somewhere I'm sure.

The 25 isn't cutting it around here with a standard and a fat ass.

Thanks.
I think I have a 28 that you can have for shipping ($5 or so probably). I'm sure I have a 26 too if you want that. PM me your address.
Old 08-23-16, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I have power/cadence! Have to put the wire above the bar, not below, seems consistent. Now to find time to ride the bike again.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-23-16, 09:33 AM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think I have one I could part with. I'll have to look when I get home.

I haven't gone 11-speed yet, but I'm thinking about making the transition. It looks like I might be able to get a really good deal on eTap, so I think I may finally make the transition.
Got one from gc, thanks.

I think I have a 28 that you can have for shipping ($5 or so probably). I'm sure I have a 26 too if you want that. PM me your address.
Done, thanks.
Old 08-23-16, 09:38 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While going through my bike stuff I came across a couple of 10 speed SRAM Red XG-1090 cassettes in good shape that I meant to sell last year but totally forgot about.

I listed them here if anyone is interested: https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/10775...5-11-28-a.html
Old 08-23-16, 10:02 AM

While going through my bike stuff I came across a couple of 10 speed SRAM Red XG-1090 cassettes in good shape that I meant to sell last year but totally forgot about.

I listed them here if anyone is interested: https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/10775...5-11-28-a.html
If you haven't done so already, you should post them to the FB group Online Swap Meet.
Old 08-23-16, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I have power/cadence! Have to put the wire above the bar, not below, seems consistent. Now to find time to ride the bike again.
Looks like SRM is offering a $500 credit to anyone who wants to upgrade from wired to wireless.

SRM PowerMeter SRM Wireless Upgrade
Old 08-23-16, 10:16 AM

Looks like SRM is offering a $500 credit to anyone who wants to upgrade from wired to wireless.

SRM PowerMeter SRM Wireless Upgrade
Thanks for the link, I didn't realize it applied to a complete upgrade. Also I didn't realize they did just an SI spider so that's a huge break on price. They seem lower in price overall also, I haven't looked in a bit.

They quoted me a ridiculously good price to upgrade the internals if my spider was a certain type, and I could use either my existing head or get a PC7. Unfortunately first indication is that the spider is not compatible. For the moment all my bike related purchases are on hold so there's that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-23-16, 12:45 PM

For the moment all my bike related purchases are on hold so there's that.
I know that feeling. I just kind of thought it was strangely coincidental that you were having problems, Ex threatened to drag you into 2005, and then that SRM deal popped up on my Facebook feed.
Old 08-23-16, 12:50 PM
fuggitivo solitario

If you haven't done so already, you should post them to the FB group Online Swap Meet.
do you have a link to this place? have quite a few items that i haven't been able to sell via traditional channels
Old 08-23-16, 06:06 PM

do you have a link to this place? have quite a few items that i haven't been able to sell via traditional channels
https://m.facebook.com/groups/105468812901876?tsid=0.08539061953377769&source=typeahead

You will have to join the group before you can post.
Old 08-23-16, 06:57 PM
fuggitivo solitario

thanks!
Old 08-23-16, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link, I didn't realize it applied to a complete upgrade. Also I didn't realize they did just an SI spider so that's a huge break on price. They seem lower in price overall also, I haven't looked in a bit.

They quoted me a ridiculously good price to upgrade the internals if my spider was a certain type, and I could use either my existing head or get a PC7. Unfortunately first indication is that the spider is not compatible. For the moment all my bike related purchases are on hold so there's that.
you should take with a certain SRM dealer you know. i can always see about getting a friend a great deal.

that said, the used market is your friend. used cannonades can be a little tougher to come by.
Old 08-24-16, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by tetonrider
you should take with a certain SRM dealer you know. i can always see about getting a friend a great deal.

that said, the used market is your friend. used cannonades can be a little tougher to come by.
If buying new I'd certainly check. The used market is, as you said, my friend. And at least for now I have at least one working SRM on my bike, a second one that works but is not installed yet, and the third I just need to get a battery. Going to order it, speaking of which.
Old 08-24-16, 08:42 AM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Anyone used Fast Forward F6R wheels? More specifically their 60mm tubulars. What is the impression?
Old 08-24-16, 08:46 AM

UCI apparently approved Far Sports wheels: UCI Approves FarSports Wheels - Far Sports USA

I'm not exactly sure what that means. I thought the approval process was designed to assure the items were structurally sound, but with anything out of the UCI, I'm never sure that's reliable. Could just be they paid a fee to the UCI to get approved.

Anyway, folks looking for cheaper carbon wheels may now have a greater sense of security buying some of these options.
Old 08-24-16, 09:48 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd still be concerned about quality control. What's to stop them from sending UCI a GOOD set of wheels that would pass some integrity testing and then selling off the rejects via ebay? I guess the other manufacturers could be doing the same, but the other manufacturers also have pretty consistent durability track records.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.