Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hey...no kickstand

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hey...no kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 08:41 AM

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Apparently, you're doing something different from what I do. The included bungees allow me to set the brakes, front and rear, and the Click Stand staff holds the bike at near vertical. Nothing else is needed. Works every time, even when the bike is loaded with a single wheel trailer attached, no problem at all.

Edit: I think we're talking about two different products. The Click Stand I use does not affect the front wheel except to keep it from rolling.
I stand corrected ! I confused “click stand” with “flick stand”. Glad I didn’t go on a total crazy rant !
Old 01-11-21, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
I capped the ends of my top tube, installed a presta valve, and filled the tube with helium. The bike now stands up on its own, no kickstand needed.

Alternately, you cold mount a gyroscope between the top tube and bottom tubes, but that will require a power source. The helium is a better option for me, and it makes the bike lighter so I can go faster.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-11-21, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
No, don't put a kick stand on it! Use the curb by rotating the pedal facing the curb to rest on the curb behind bottom dead center. The bike will tend to move forward but cannot so the pedal will hold the bike up. Takes a little practice but quite stable except in very strong winds or when someone pushes the bike.
Likes For sabele:
Old 01-11-21, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dhos1
I brought this nice Tomasso to ride and there is no kick-stand on it. What are you guys doing to hold it up.
if it is a tomasso it probably has racing geometry and there may not be room to put on a kick stand, that said most performance oriented bicycles will not have kick stands, I kid you not once while racing a guy in our peloton had his kickstand loosen up and fall off, a couple riders veered off the road and there was a lot of swearing

think putting a towing package on a Mercedes 450 SL or a Porsche 914 ....... really
Old 01-11-21, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
My 20 bikes also hang from hooks in the ceiling; one hook per bike on the rear wheel. Hanging is better than standing as the tires will not be impacted when they deflate.
Likes For sabele:
Old 01-11-21, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just checked this. No this isn't a joke. I realize I could buy one, but there is a reason they don't come with them so I was curious as to what everyone is using. And I understand if you are on a long ride with no kickstand, then you can lay it down or against a tree or whatever is soft. I mean more like for storage in the garage. This is my fault for phrasing the question poorly. I was never owned a bike without a kickstand...then see other people riding and they have none. So that begged the question what are you holding you prized possession up with. You are damn sure not laying it down in the garage.
Don't worry about some of the snarky answers, I think it's a reasonable question. For your purposes, I have heard the Feedback Sports Rakk is a good product. they connect together if you have multiple bikes. https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/rakk-black/. Personally I built something similar out of scrap 2x4s to hold the wheel, which works OK. I don't use hanging racks since I have the luxury of space in my garage, plus my bikes are relatively heavy city/commuting bikes which I hate wrestling into a hanging position.
Old 01-11-21, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
kickstand

[QUOTE=ClydeClydeson;21862329]Bike snobs don't like kickstands, except for maybe on dedicated touring or city bikes.

I heard real mountain bikes don't come with kickstands, it could deploy riding over rough terrain and cause an accident....lol
Old 01-11-21, 01:22 PM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
You want a kickstand, buy an old Schwinn, otherwise lots of things to lean it on, use your imagination!
Tim
I tried this but it seems my imagination is not strong enough to hold up a bike and it fell.
Old 01-11-21, 01:39 PM

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I flip my bike(s) upside-down.
I did this once during a flat repair and unknowingly lost the contents of both water bottles. Consider yourself warned.
Old 01-11-21, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Bike snobs don't like kickstands, except for maybe on dedicated touring or city bikes.
Originally Posted by silversurfer531
I heard real mountain bikes don't come with kickstands, it could deploy riding over rough terrain and cause an accident....lol
If you were trying to do a backflip at the bike park you could poke out an eye.
Old 01-11-21, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I keep at least one Velcro strap on the stem and can use it to temporarily clamp a brake lever. Bikes are way more stable to lean with a wheel locked.

Otto
I have an even lower tech/cheap version of that which I learned many years ago at a bike shop. You have to try it to believe it.

Just get an elastic like the ones that hold veges at the supermarket, loosely wrap it around the handlebar near the end of the brake lever or wherever it is out of the way. To lock the wheels best you can use a second one on the other brake. You simply wrap the elastic around the brake lever and the handlebar and the brakes are locked and the bike will not roll no matter what you lean it against if, it is solid of course. Even one wheel touching will do the trick. For instance one wheel against a wall is plenty.
Old 01-11-21, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

Lots of ideas!
Old 01-11-21, 03:06 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I stopped by the LBS the other day, and they were really busy, at least 8 or 10 empty bike boxes on the sidewalk. A guy was walking out with a new mtn/hybrid bike, and he turned around and asked the guy if he could buy a kick stand for it. I was surprised. Never saw that before. I think the last time I had a kickstand on my bike, I was in fifth grade.
Old 01-11-21, 03:31 PM

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I'm a dork with a kickstand. In fact a double one making me I guess, a double dork.
Old 01-11-21, 03:38 PM
pauoos

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Tourmalet, 2000 Gary Fisher Aquila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I bring a stone wall with me so I have something to lean against.

I always carry a few acorns with me so I can lean my bike against a nice sturdy oak tree.
Old 01-11-21, 04:59 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by pauoos
I always carry a few acorns with me so I can lean my bike against a nice sturdy oak tree.
You must be very patient.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-11-21, 05:41 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
"bike snobs,"
President

Seriously, if you want one.. get one. And if you want to put a Micky Mantle rookie card in the spokes... go ahead. I'm a Mets fan
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-11-21, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I brought this nice Tomasso to ride and there is no kick-stand on it. What are you guys doing to hold it up.
I lean it on something.
Old 01-12-21, 07:04 AM

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I did this once during a flat repair and unknowingly lost the contents of both water bottles. Consider yourself warned.
For sure there's some planning involved but for the most part I wasn't serious about flipping my bike upside down......
Old 01-12-21, 07:12 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
The kids in the house across the street from me just lie the bikes down flat on the ground. Not necessarily gently either; it's more of a halfway set-it-down, let-it fall the rest of the way kind of maneuver. And by "ground", it could be anyplace: in the yard, on the driveway, on the sidewalk, etc.

One morning last summer, I was sitting in my living room and I heard some commotion across the street. Apparently one of the bikes had been left overnight on the sidewalk and a lady came walking by not long after sunrise and tripped over it.
Old 01-12-21, 09:06 AM

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
For sure there's some planning involved but for the most part I wasn't serious about flipping my bike upside down......
I WAS serious about losing my beverages, that ONE time. It was a rookie mistake that was never made again, at least not that mistake.
Old 01-12-21, 10:19 AM

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No kickstand

I put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on the side of my touring bike saddle in case I have to lean the bike against a rough surface. The tape gets scuffed occasionally, especially on tour, but the saddle doesn't.

At no time did I exceed the posted speed limit.
Old 01-12-21, 12:10 PM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I tried this but it seems my imagination is not strong enough to hold up a bike and it fell.
Obviously not!
Tim
Old 01-12-21, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Alternately, I hire a neighbor kid to hold the bike as I go into stores. He appreciates the part time work, and is fond of the nickname, "Kickstand."
Old 01-12-21, 03:15 PM
Bartali, Coppi, Pantani

Bikes: 1936 Bianchi Saetta, 1975 Bianchi Sprint, 1995 Raleigh USA M50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And not a funny joke.
My father used to say that kickstands were for sissies. Of course, that was seventy years ago, and [some] things have changed 😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.