Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 05:50 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very nice commute this morning, a little chilly but I like it that way. Rode the single-speed and it sure was fun for a change of pace. Even though my commute route is pretty hilly, I usually end up averaging about 1+ mph faster on the SS compared to my touring bike, probably because it is so much lighter. It always surprises me, though, since I am forced to coast a lot more on the SS.
Old 05-13-09, 06:16 AM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40F. No wind. Blue sky. Talked to bmike for a minute.

Some idiot on a bicycle blew through his red light from my left-to-right, scaring a pedestrian as she started to cross the street. I managed to avoid calling him names, but I did shake my head ruefully for the benefit of anyone looking at me.

The city is closing a section of the MUP for repaving until next week.
Old 05-13-09, 06:42 AM
old clunker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one of 2 days I can ride this week. I let the rain keep me from doing so. I don't mind getting wet on the way home, but it's hard to deal with wet clothing at work. Besides, the weather guru's are calling for severe thunderstorms with hail during the time of my ride home.

OK so I'm a whimp. I appreciated my car today.

I coach track and field during the spring, and have to get right from work to the school, so the bike is out. Final meet is this Saturday, so the week clears up starting Monday.
Old 05-13-09, 06:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I made plans to go to ZM Cycle, (100 kilometers away), in Toronto to replace an aging helmet so the Honda VFR motorcycle was commissioned even though the weather was nice for bicycling. Today I have my noggin covered with a very comfortable Giro helmet. Plus four degrees Celsius, little wind and glorious sunshine. Must remember sun block for the old Q-ball for the new helmet has many vents.
Old 05-13-09, 07:01 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride to work was nice and uneventful. When I go home tonight, I'll make a detour to fix a friend's computer. I'm not too worried about the mileage, but I'm looking at maybe 2,5 hours on bike. Plus whatever time it takes to fix the comp problem. It would be good to be home earlier. My plan B is to take metro + bus to the computer and back, then take my bike and ride home.

Whatever I do, I have to make up my mind in about an hour or so. Right now I think I'll ride. Plan B is not that much faster.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 05-13-09, 07:21 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
57 deg no wind to worry about. clear weather but it was chilly. amazed at how radically different the weather has been in May across the US. morning temps 70's out west, 30's in the Northwest, 50's down here in Atlanta and then the shift to 100+ in afternoon out west to 70's down here.
Old 05-13-09, 07:37 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
beautiful morning
i finally got my oury grips to sit still
i may even pedal around the parking lot at lunch time

Old 05-13-09, 07:45 AM
Soul filled with grease

Bikes: Early Surly XCheck;1960 Schwinn Speedster;1996 Giant CroMo Camper;1986 Fuji

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool start, then it warmed up. Took a longer route in to stop for breakfast. Next 2 days should be wet and wild.
Played a game and counted bikes on car racks; 53!
Old 05-13-09, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little chilly today 38 f ( 3 c) at the start, but it is warming up quickly today. Easy ride, almost mindless, which is not good. The traffic is not bad at 5:30, so that makes it a little easier. Getting ready for national bike to work day on Friday. Last year there was a great turnout at the rallying point, hoping for the same this year.
Old 05-13-09, 08:00 AM
Gaeilgeoir

Bikes: 2003 Giant Iguana (ONCE yellow), '86 Team Fuji (Blue/Yellow), '87 Schwinn Le Tour (Frost White)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today was my first commute in to work this year. i've been working on a knee problem for some time now, so i waited an extra month. this is ride your bike week here in the Northampton/Amherst area of Western Massamachoosits, so i could wait no longer! besides, the free breakfast is hard to pass up, and the chance to get a gander at alot of other cool bikes.

Fruit and veggie sausages, boiled eggs and crappy coffee, fruit juice and surveys. a lovely cool misty morning clearing to a quite warm sunny one. moderate traffic, sandy shoulders. hills that hurt now but will hopefully get easier. i'd have to say it was great! as they say in Ireland-- "Bíonn gach tosach lag"--"every beginning is weak".
Old 05-13-09, 08:01 AM
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute today. Raining and I needed an excuse to take my car to swap out some supplies and run a few errands that require my car. Unfortunately this breaks a string of 14 consecutive bike commutes.
Old 05-13-09, 08:07 AM
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful but painful. Heavy training load over the last couple days have left my legs tired.
Old 05-13-09, 08:44 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today's commute began with a tough uphill stage into a fast descent to a wide open flat with plenty of overzealous fans crowding the course. It ended with a short uphill sprint where a crowd of incredibly sexy women had gathered to cross the street.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 05-13-09, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 1985? Fat Chance .. in need of love, and a 2001 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I slept in today, but still convinced myself to ride in. It was worth the frantic first mile- weather was absolutely perfect for a ride. Even the 2 cagers who almost smushed me didn't take away from the ride. I even shaved a few minutes off my time.

... definitely needing that extra cup of coffee though..
Old 05-13-09, 09:30 AM

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was slightly chilly at -3 and there was a headwind but i still made really good time.
Old 05-13-09, 09:33 AM

Bikes: 1978 Fuji S-10S, 1996 Bianchi Nyala, 2008 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride to work was fantastic, as usual, since it takes place between 1:00pm and 2:00pm. There was plenty of sunshine and gentle breezes. I was a bit slow on the ride home. The route I take goes through a swamp and I "detected" the STRONG presence of a skunk there on the way home in that spot the last two times. YUCK!!!!!!
Old 05-13-09, 09:33 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
41F and cloudy. Supposed to rain later.

20 min late 'cause there was nobody there when I got my son to his before-school hangout. Let him run amok w/ the gym mats since I didn't know what he wasn't allowed to do with them. A 1st grader corrected him.
Old 05-13-09, 09:34 AM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Today's commute began with a tough uphill stage into a fast descent to a wide open flat with plenty of overzealous fans crowding the course. It ended with a short uphill sprint where a crowd of incredibly sexy women had gathered to cross the street.
Exciting! Mine was cool/chilly start, but my legs felt strong (did the squats/dead lift/rows, last night). Kids gave me a nice goodbye and my eldest was peeking/waving at me through the mail slot, that's about it. Dreamed about getting a new dedicated commuter w/ 700 wheels.
Old 05-13-09, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
painful!! 20 miles into the wind!
Old 05-13-09, 10:06 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Every day should be this good! Blue skies, sunshine, dry roads, polite commuters; all in all, a great climb up the hill this morning
Old 05-13-09, 10:46 AM

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings here in Iowa, but by the time I saw the forecast I had already missed the bus. Oh well, I need an excuse to sit in the library all day and study for finals so I guess I will just wait out this storm and hope it quits by dinner time.

There is not much I like more than to see the puzzled looks on drivers faces when they see me on the road in a t-shirt and shorts on my bike when they need an umbrella to get from the parking lot to the building.
Old 05-13-09, 10:49 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my 6th week of a layoff because of knee problems due to overuse.

Next week isn't looking promising either.
Old 05-13-09, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Ron
My new Fuji Touring bike performed well - a little slower than the road bike, but now that I have a rack and panniers, no need to wear a backpack. No issues with bike, body, or traffic. Will stay late today so I can stop in at the local Bike to work week dinner tonight (hoping that will allow the 10-15 mph headwind to die down too)
I will be joining Big Ron at said BtWW dinner this evening. This will be the first year I've been able to ride to it (family issues required that I drive before); I'm looking forward to it.

Ron also forgot to tell you all how beautiful his new Fuji Touring is! (I have one too )

As for my commute, it was a little hairy this morning. I had a couple of impatient jerks do stupid things, including a new one. A driver passed me on the left as I was making a right turn--literally as I was turning. Nothing new there...but he made the right turn from a straight-thru lane, bypassing me and everyone else in the right-turn-only lane. I chased him down to his parking lot a 1/4 mile ahead, but he scrambled into the building before I could inform him that he is, indeed, an impatient idiot.
Old 05-13-09, 01:41 PM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute tomorrow morning should be exciting. It would be a headwind.

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 4 PM EDT THURSDAY...

STRONG SOUTH WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH... WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH...THE MOST SIGNIFICANT WIND WILL LIKELY OCCUR THURSDAY MORNING.
Old 05-13-09, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This morning I yelled at a woman in a Jetta to put down her Blackberry and pay attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.