Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmet Cam Recommendations

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Helmet Cam Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 06:03 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is wearing a helmet cam trying to control people? I cycle daily minding my own business. Typically nothing ever happens. However, every once in a while I get blatantly harassed for taking a lane doing the same speed of traffic where my I need to do so for my safety. Is simple documentation of blatant harassment or assaults controlling people? I can understand being a militant cyclists going up to cars and forcing lane control when going 5 MPH up a steep hill when moving to the right is completely logical. However, this is not the case. This is simply wearing a 200 dollar helmet cam to capture the one or two times a month where I have to deal with harassment or assaults. How is this controlling people?

I don't know. Internet foruming is a pain in the ass. The reason I rarely do it anymore. But thanks to the helpful people who simply provided suggestions as they did help a lot.
Old 09-05-14, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,604 Times in 2,357 Posts
cyclists, especially but not limited to commuters, are often put in positions to influence cagers, such as taking the lane to prevent an unsafe pass for example.

just because there are bikes videos of assault etc doesn't mean they don't help. a camera may not be a cure-all, but my camera definitely makes a difference but I'm not going to post hours of boring video where there are no incidents.
Old 09-05-14, 08:24 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ShooFlyPie
How is wearing a helmet cam trying to control people? I cycle daily minding my own business. Typically nothing ever happens. However, every once in a while I get blatantly harassed for taking a lane doing the same speed of traffic where my I need to do so for my safety. Is simple documentation of blatant harassment or assaults controlling people? I can understand being a militant cyclists going up to cars and forcing lane control when going 5 MPH up a steep hill when moving to the right is completely logical. However, this is not the case. This is simply wearing a 200 dollar helmet cam to capture the one or two times a month where I have to deal with harassment or assaults. How is this controlling people?
That all depends on the individual. Whats their motivation for doing it? What do they hope to accomplish?

I get people yelling at me on rare occasions, its just words, I get passed rudely now and then, but not actually physically effected.
It happens to me when I ride my motorcycle, it happens to me when I drive a semi, it happens when I walk, its simply part of using a public road and is unlikely to change. Videos can protect businesses and motorists from fraud, but that's not really a problem for cyclists or pedestrians.

Its not going to make any real changes in the behavior of others, and its not going to allow you to change your behavior or make you safer.

I don't know. Internet foruming is a pain in the ass. The reason I rarely do it anymore. But thanks to the helpful people who simply provided suggestions as they did help a lot.
Its nothing more than the opinions of others, just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean I won't get something useful out of it. If we only seek opinions that match our own how do we learn?
Understanding leads to empathy and makes us all better for it.

Last edited by kickstart; 09-05-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 02:08 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

just saw an interesting article but the link won't paste, search goodle for

[h=1]Video: Motorcyclist arrested for recording cop brandishing *** with helmet cam [*UPDATED][/h]
Old 09-05-14, 04:39 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Why limit the search to cycling videos.......... It seems that the greater the desire to control others, the greater the inability to practice self control.
I wouldn't accuse anyone... I don't actually know... of having a lack of self-control. But control issues do seem to be prevalent in todays society.

I am often amazed at the number of people that think that having a camera... is nearly the same as wearing a badge. And now they are off to correct the world and make it good and safe from accidents or death.... by recording video to a memory card. I fail to see the logic or reasoning that is followed to reach the conclusions they reach. And never is it explained.

Cycling is relatively safe... and a blood sport at the same time. Risk of death is reasonability low. Yet risk of injury... is high. Most people evaluate risk emotionally... and not with a calculator. So once they experience fear when cycling on the streets or roads they try to resolve that emotional reaction with tangible changes. Bright clothing, flashing lights, cameras... are all tangible things they use to attempt to quite an emotional outburst.

I guess if we didn't learn as small children that human emotions are self-generated... we can get stuck dealing with our emotions as if they have an outside source. But they don't. "Things"... or even actions will not alter our own emotional response. Each individual must learn to "control" their own emotions.
Old 09-05-14, 05:50 PM

hmmm I don't know. by nature we are emotional creatures. we're not Spock from Star Trek or robots. when someone threatens our life our bodies produce chemicals that charge our system to fight or flee.

but yeah, there are a slew of knuckleheads out there who seem to entice confrontations seemingly specifically because they are wearing a camera and then claim to be victims.
Old 09-05-14, 06:28 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
And never is it explained.
Dave,it has been explained. Several times. Go back and read the responses I've posted to you. Read the links that showed how people would have been screwed if they hadn't had a camera. Read the stories about people I've known who have been screwed because of hit-and-runs with no witnesses.

You're the one with issues about cameras. No-one is saying they want a camera to win a payday or to be the police,they want a camera so that people will believe their side of the story. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Here,let me repost one of the links for you:
"It must have been your fault. C'mon. You are a biker." - Greater Greater Washington

This is what we're up against here in DC. That's just one example,as I said,you can go back to my past responses to see more. If things are better where you are,then count yourself lucky. But there are many places that aren't.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-05-14, 08:53 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by dynaryder
Dave,it has been explained. Several times. Go back and read the responses I've posted to you.......
What I posted was:
...... And now they are off to correct the world and make it good and safe from accidents or death.... by recording video to a memory card. I fail to see the logic or reasoning that is followed to reach the conclusions they reach. And never is it explained.
I refuse to believe you can read this one sentence and not understand its meaning and clearly respond.

Knowing full well your own self-generated fear can NOT be the product of outside people or events... you would HAVE to understand that there cannot be a logical series of events that can lead to your "solution". It's YOUR fear... YOU made it... YOU own it. You have the power to do whatever you wish to with your own fear. If you don't want it.... discard it. It is just that simple.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 09-05-14 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmmm I don't know. by nature we are emotional creatures. we're not Spock from Star Trek or robots. when someone threatens our life our bodies produce chemicals that charge our system to fight or flee.
Yes... all normal humans know fear. But every single military war fighter, every policeperson, every firefighter... almost every adult has learned to control their emotions. You really don't need to be a fictional person or robot..... to act like a mature adult.

Just knowing that it is the fight or flight response that is causing the anger. Just knowing that is was just a fright that scared you..... removes the power. If you still have problems discarding the response... I'd consider discussing it with a doctor. The lack of control may be have some underlying cause that can be treated.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 09-05-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 09:14 PM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I don't know. Internet foruming is a pain in the ass.

It doesn't matter where you go or what question you ask, you will always get the "Why would you want to..." responses. I've learned to skim past them with minimal time wastage.

There's nothing wrong with using a helmet cam; just don't expect anyone to really care about whatever "infractions" you manage to capture... unless there was an injury or funny fight.
Old 09-05-14, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs

It doesn't matter where you go or what question you ask, you will always get the "Why would you want to..." responses. I've learned to skim past them with minimal time wastage.

There's nothing wrong with using a helmet cam; just don't expect anyone to really care about whatever "infractions" you manage to capture... unless there was an injury or funny fight.
I hope I didn't come across as one of those "Why would you want to... responses". I get what ShooFlyPie is trying to do! It just won't work for what he is posting he wants to accomplish with it. I think the cameras are great! I am an early adopter of security cameras. And all I am posting is: cameras don't cure fear.

A camera is the wrong tool for the problem the OP describes.
Old 09-05-14, 09:42 PM

Yes... all normal humans know fear. But every single military war fighter, every policeperson, every firefighter... almost every adult has learned to control their emotions. You really don't need to be a fictional person or robot..... to act like a mature adult.

Just knowing that it is the fight or flight response that is causing the anger. Just knowing that is was just a fright that scared you..... removes the power. If you still have problems discarding the response... I'd consider discussing it with a doctor. The lack of control may be have some underlying cause that can be treated.
I'll agree w your 1st half but remember the pros get training. Regarding your second part it sounds like you've never had a near death experience from an intentional act. also wanting to punch someone out because they almost killed you is a perfectly normal response.
Old 09-05-14, 09:55 PM

....... but remember the pros get training.
Really? The "pro" (adults?) get no more training than I posted in this thread.

Regarding your second part it sounds like you've never had a near death experience from an intentional act.
LOL. What a joke.

....also wanting to punch someone out because they almost killed you is a perfectly normal response.
When I am "almost killed" I am generally seriously injured! I think you mean... when YOU are very frightened... which doesn't have much to do with other peoples actions. But yes... being frightened can make a normal person want to "fight" (or run away)... for about half a second. After a second or two... the anger is just a childish tantrum.
Old 09-06-14, 08:01 AM

that's the beautiful thing about opinions and this forum, no one really ever has to agree
Old 09-06-14, 11:21 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs

There's the electronics, lighting,& gadgets sub form where one could simply ask for camera recommendations, but it was asked here in A&S with editorials and rants included. That's an open invitation for opinions from others, if one doesn't want commentary on the motivations of its use, ask in the appropriate place without the additional information as to why.
Old 09-06-14, 11:22 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I

A camera is the wrong tool for the problem the OP describes.
What do you think is the correct tool?
Old 09-06-14, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by no motor?
What do you think is the correct tool?
What is the correct tool to deal with the OPs fear? I can't honestly say I know for sure.

In most cases just patting the youngster on the head and saying: "buck-up there buddy... we all get scared from time to time" is enough. The child learns by adult example that fear is an internal emotion that is both useful and controllable. And over time learns to work through his/her anger/fear issues.

Not all children mature at the same rate or hit the "milestones" by certain expected ages. Often times some children need more attention than other kids. A few more hugs, or time spent talking.

I had set aside bicycling as a teen myself.... but returned to cycling when I bought a bicycle to ride with my son when he learned to ride a bicycle. So my son had me there at his side when he was a child learning to ride in the streets. I think stuff like that helps.

I've hit a car myself. I've known injury. I don't know the source of the OP's fear. But that is his problem. And fear isn't caused by a lack of cameras!

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 09-06-14 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-06-14, 06:36 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
In the OP, the poster did not talk of the camera allaying his fear, he talked of documenting driver's actions. Helmet cam is fine for that. What can be done and the result is more undefined.
Old 09-06-14, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
In the OP, the poster did not talk of the camera allaying his fear, he talked of documenting driver's actions. Helmet cam is fine for that. What can be done and the result is more undefined.
Really? This is from the OP (#1):

I have had enough. The more experienced I get with urban cycling the less I have to deal with. However, there are times that I have been blatantly harassed or almost hit by ignorant neanderthals that I can't avoid regardless of experience in control and release, follow laws, or learning how to keep calm while being harassed.

I am getting a helmet cam. I am documenting that guy with bumper sticker from a local fire department trying to hit me legally riding in a sharrowed lane, the hillbilly in a SUV throwing a glass bottle at me for waiting at a stop light, or that jackass who feels to get out of his big pickup after giving him the bird for passing to close. I want this documented.
The name calling and accusations. Doesn't that REEK of fear/anger to you? I mean sure.... the OP doesn't come right out and admit he is having genuine extreme fear issues.... but what he does post in his rants.... DO.

As a fellow cyclist..... I feel sorry for the guy. Some people are always too fearful to enjoy cycling with/in/around traffic. But some cyclist also seem to develop a fear/phobia/paranoia about riding around cars and/or traffic. It's very sad. It makes me grateful for the cycling available for me. I know cycling isn't for everyone. And someday many of us will have to face the day we just hang our bicycles on the wall.
Old 09-06-14, 11:13 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Nope Dave, I am pretty literal in my interpretation of what I am being asked.If the OP wanted help with fear issues, he would have asked, he asked for advise on the best camera to document the actions of drivers. Now personally, I don't think that documenting a driver does much to change their behavior, some posters seem ti think it does, and thats good for sales of the various sport cameras. SO the degree of fear or lack there of is of no consequence to me until such time as somebody asks for my advise on dealing with fear.
Old 09-08-14, 05:35 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I refuse to believe you can read this one sentence and not understand its meaning and clearly respond.
I was responding to you,not that sentence. Whenever someone asks about cameras,you go off on a rant about paydays and privacy.

I've given you numerous examples of how cameras have helped people to try and get justice,and how folks without them have gotten screwed. We get it,you hate cameras. But that genie is out of the bottle and they're everywhere nowadays. They're a tool that can help a cyclist who has been injured by showing what has really occurred instead of just going with the driver's story as the cyclist is being loaded into an ambulance(which happens all the time around here,and I've given you examples of that happening). Obviously cameras aren't going to prevent things from happening,but they can help afterwards to make sure things turn out better. And this is the point you refuse to understand.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-08-14, 08:48 PM

I was responding to you,not that sentence. Whenever someone asks about cameras,you go off on a rant about paydays and privacy.
Or... your rants towards me... have nothing to do with my posts. Whereas my replies and questions to you are based on your posts.

I've given you numerous examples of how cameras have helped people to try and get justice,and how folks without them have gotten screwed. We get it,you hate cameras. But that genie is out of the bottle and they're everywhere nowadays.
Yes the police have been effective in using technology to improve law enforcement... Are you a policeman now? I love cameras! I am an early adopter of security cameras and have used them for many years. I watch cycling cam footage when I ride my trainer. And was a very early YouTube poster... with well over 250,000 views on my channel.

I am far more than the average hobbyist. But if you READ my posts... you would know that.

They're a tool that can help a cyclist who has been injured by showing what has really occurred ............ Obviously cameras aren't going to prevent things from happening, but they can help afterwards to make sure things turn out better. And this is the point you refuse to understand.
So... you think I fail to understand lawsuits and settlements? Or that tons of people are attempting scams.... now/today/as I type... using these cameras? The preconceived idea that a recorded video could somehow "benefit" or as you put it "can help afterwards to make sure things turn out better" sounds nefarious at best.

You most certainly sound like you ether want to "play cop" of you're hoping to scam some motorist or insurance company out of money.
Old 09-09-14, 05:43 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Or that tons of people are attempting scams.... now/today/as I type... using these cameras?
Citation? Because 'you think so' isn't going to cut it. Can you post one link to a scam?

The preconceived idea that a recorded video could somehow "benefit" or as you put it "can help afterwards to make sure things turn out better" sounds nefarious at best.

You most certainly sound like you ether want to "play cop" of you're hoping to scam some motorist or insurance company out of money.
Seriously? You're accusing me of trying to pull scams? Wow dude,really? 24 freaking years of my life in the service with a high level security clearance,but now I'm a scam artist. OBTW,have you ever read a post from me saying I have a camera? No you didn't,because I don't have one.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You have some kind of paranoid issue about people using cameras for bad things,to scam people or rule over them. You really didn't pay any attention to any of the times I told you about people I know who woke up in a hospital with no idea how they got there. Or any of the links I posted about people who would have been screwed if they didn't have camera footage,some of which BTW,came from security and traffic cameras,not theirs.

I was going to report your post to the mods,but I'm not going to. I want it to stay,and please don't edit it. I want everyone to be able to read it and see where you're coming from. That way they'll know what to think when you chime in on future discussions about cameras.

Old 09-14-14, 03:33 AM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I've been using the earlier Contour 720 mounted to the top of my helmet.
(The instant-on mode of the Roam would be nice.)
*Every* time anyone has commented on it, they always think it is a headlight.
Seems John Q Public can't imagine a camera w/o the ridiculous clunky Go-Pro shape.
I dunno, I don't have a camera yet, but I've had my helmet mounted headlight mistaken for a camera several times that people have mentioned, and probably a lot more that wasn't commented on.

Appreciate all the reviews in this thread, getting close to getting a helmet cam and not interested in a GoPro...
Old 09-14-14, 02:33 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Be sure to get the black version ($400). I had a Hero3 White and honestly, it's not a very good camera. Almost all of the cheap Chinese cameras that I've owned are at least as good, and some are better. At the price point of the White ($200), the GoPro fails against many competitors in image quality, ease of use, features and mounting systems for cyclists. The GoPro White is the wrong choice for almost anyone. The Black is really a pretty good camera for image quality. IMO ease of use and mounting still sucks for all GoPros when it comes to cycling; for other sports it's not bad.

GoPro mainly is famous because it's got a better marketing department than any other manufacturer, not because it's particularly a good camera.
I agree about getting the black instead of the white version.

As for the mounting issue. I wanting to get the Chest Mount Strap that GoPro has. The only mounting options I have seen with other cameras is on the handlebars, bike frame, helmet, or wrist.

On the image quality, that is partially secondary(for me at least), to the mounting concern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.