Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swapping bars and aero bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Swapping bars and aero bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 12:59 PM

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I can't help with the bars. But, I do love the bike.
Thanks, me too! Been a dream to ride, fits so nicely, did my longest ride of 122 miles on it last month straight through one quick nature stop and felt great after other than being tired of course!
Old 01-02-20, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
lol yeah you might be ok, no promises!
Back home relaxing after my 110 miler this morning with winds in the 10/15mph area and super happy for the aero bars.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 01-02-20, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I know you said you don’t want a bargain basement TT bike, but I’d look for an older 10spd Cervelo P2 or P3, without wheels. Tubular 10spd aero wheelsets are really cheap, and 10spd isn’t going to hold you back in any way. I’m sure you have a wheelset to use for training.
Old 01-02-20, 02:30 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I know you said you don’t want a bargain basement TT bike, but I’d look for an older 10spd Cervelo P2 or P3, without wheels. Tubular 10spd aero wheelsets are really cheap, and 10spd isn’t going to hold you back in any way. I’m sure you have a wheelset to use for training.
And the old ones aren’t even slower, just less integration and less tire clearance. Fantastic bikes.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-02-20, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And the old ones aren’t even slower, just less integration and less tire clearance. Fantastic bikes.
The frame/components are a tiny bit less aero, but the geometry/body position is where the big benefits are anyway.
Old 01-02-20, 03:04 PM
serious cyclist

The frame/components are a tiny bit less aero, but the geometry/body position is where the big benefits are anyway.
Within the context of comparison to a Speedwagen... and like-for-like, ST hasn’t seen a difference in independent tunnel tests.

By contrast, my P2 saves 50 watts at the same speed vs my old S1, which is pretty aero for a roadie.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-02-20, 03:16 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Thanks, me too! Been a dream to ride, fits so nicely, did my longest ride of 122 miles on it last month straight through one quick nature stop and felt great after other than being tired of course!
That is a special bike.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-02-20, 07:31 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
For the seatpost situation you might want to consider https://redshiftsports.com/dual-position-seatpost as this lets you easily swap between positions.
That's darned clever. I might try one if I get serious about tackling a time trial later this year.

Although as other folks pointed out, good used TT bikes are often available pretty cheaply. I guess folks either get upgrade fever or just get tired of the whole tri thing. But I see more bargains in TT bikes than comparable road bikes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-02-20, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
yep, starting to agree, much as I’m enjoying the idea of swapping out bars which I might still do. Won’t be able to do a seat post topper with SV effectively. I’ve found some good deals on bar stem combos to swap and I’ll continue to look. I’m going to try and ride some tri bikes of people in our club just to see how I like it. May get the oppotunity to train and use one for the upcoming race and go from there. The project guy in me though is still planning on the cockpit conversion, I think it will be fun for the first while

Originally Posted by canklecat
That's darned clever. I might try one if I get serious about tackling a time trial later this year.

Although as other folks pointed out, good used TT bikes are often available pretty cheaply. I guess folks either get upgrade fever or just get tired of the whole tri thing. But I see more bargains in TT bikes than comparable road bikes.
yep that seat post is freaking neat. But yes so good deals out there.
Old 01-03-20, 01:29 AM
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by canklecat

Upgrade fever in tri geeks puts roadies to shame. I have a friend - real life friend, as in go swimming with him - who was so smitten by the 858 that he had to go and immediately sell his one-season-old 808FCs for and buy a pair. And yes, he’s literally a dentist.

Every year there’s a new wunderbike. Some of us need to buy it every year. I’m running a NOS 2016 P2 retrofitted with UI2, and would probably only swap it if I got serious about doing fulls and wanted more integrated storage.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-03-20, 03:13 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
This thread reminded me, I had a project bike tucked away that I hadn't really looked at. A friend is into the tri-thing and is an expert bargain hunter. He has persistent problems in the sit-down region and had been scouring craigslist and other sites for better saddles. He snagged an older Trek Equinox, one of their entry level aero frames that's well designed but quite heavy aluminum. It had a cracked seat tube, probably not dangerous where it's located. But he only wanted the Cobb saddle. The entire bike cost less than a new Cobb. He gave me the rest of the bike to scavenge for parts. I didn't even look at it right away, figuring it was all entry level stuff considering it was Trek's base model Equinox from around a decade ago. But when I finally got around to stripping it, I discovered the previous owner had upgraded to some really nice components, including some Dura Ace goodies.

And I also have a 2014 era Diamondback Podium 5 frame and fork with only the original Ultegra crankset. I wasn't sure what to do with it (I'm pretty satisfied with my old '89 Ironman steelie and '93 Trek 5900). But now I might cobble together a hybrid road/TT bike from that Diamondback frame and parts from the Trek tri-bike. It'll probably look goofy with bullhorn bars and Profile carbon fiber aero bars, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Couldn't be any worse than the old school Scott bars on my Ironman. There's no way to adjust the arm rests on the older Scott bars to support my elbows and get the upper arms vertical. Best I can do is place the armrests under the forearms just in front of the elbows with some angle to the upper arms. And I've set up a compromise fit that's not terribly uncomfortable in the aero bars, while still being able to pedal more or less normally using the drop bar -- if I don't mind the Jacques Anquetil toe-down style. Maitre Jacques was always my favorite of the TdF heroes, as much for his libertine lifestyle as for his cycling. And a friend who owns many local KOMs happens to ride that toe-down style. Looks oddly graceful and sure works for him. I suspect it's uncomfortable on longer rides and best suited to time trials and short, fast rides. It sorta forces us to sit heavily in the saddle. But it may take awhile to strengthen those lower leg muscles that don't get used as much with more flat footed pedaling.
Old 01-03-20, 03:19 PM
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
canklecat I'd take that frame to a Trek dealer and see what Trek has to say about warrantying it. I bought some hella old Bontrager carbon wheels for $50 about 7 years ago that had a cracked rim and Trek warrantied them for a brand new set of Aeolus full carbon hoops.

Worth a shot.