Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Decisions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 09:54 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Be aware that the Canyon Ultimate comes with an integrated cockpit which makes adjusting your reach quite difficult. You can't just swap in a different length stem. So triple check the measurements and make sure the bike *really* fits. Of course, that's an extra challenge without a test ride.
I've been researching Canyon bikes and find their sizing to be problematic.
Old 12-21-21, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I've been researching Canyon bikes and find their sizing to be problematic.
You'd need to be more specific for that statement to be of any value. All brands now list stack and reach and they should list the stem length and bar reach on complete bikes with integrated bars. If all that is available, there should not be any problems.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-21-21, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
My problem is with the way TREK treated LeMond when he (rightly) called out Armstrong for his doping. I can't speak to the quality/benefits of their bikes.
Respectfully 2020 hindsight is a great perspective but I believe sometimes history gets a little sqewed. I too like Lemond but the truth is that old age and buckshot beat Greg, not Armstrong. Trek just followed the popular personality to sell more bikes, good business decisions.

By the way, I have a fondness for Pinarellos Beautiful bikes..
Old 12-21-21, 04:13 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You'd need to be more specific for that statement to be of any value. All brands now list stack and reach and they should list the stem length and bar reach on complete bikes with integrated bars. If all that is available, there should not be any problems.
Something in between. If you get the measurements right, there are no problems. Canyon's sizing and integrated cockpits mean that it's possible to fall in between sizes and not have good solutions.

Also, this doesn't contradict you at all, but FWIW, their sizes run large. I'm sort of between a Small and a Medium on the Ultimate, and making the Medium work, even though I'm squarely good with 56 cm frames in most other brands.
Old 12-21-21, 05:11 PM

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Something in between. If you get the measurements right, there are no problems. Canyon's sizing and integrated cockpits mean that it's possible to fall in between sizes and not have good solutions.
Also, this doesn't contradict you at all, but FWIW, their sizes run large. I'm sort of between a Small and a Medium on the Ultimate, and making the Medium work, even though I'm squarely good with 56 cm frames in most other brands.

Very true. I think you can specify different cockpit sizes now, but it's a pain.

I tend to be around a "medium" size or 52-54cm in most brands, but for Canyon I ride a small (Aeroad) and I measure up at the smaller end of their small.
Old 12-21-21, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Well, Canyon uses the S-M-L sizing system. I find that this is not as precise as an actual frame size and virtual TT. For me a "square 55" is perfect. Their S size lists the frame as 50.3 but because of the sloping TT I don't really know what that is. Using stack and reach I would take a M but even then the numbers are a bit off. Same with S. So, using either system I don't fit in. Pinarello, Colnago, Basso, DeRosa, etc sizing is easier to understand.
Old 12-21-21, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Well, Canyon uses the S-M-L sizing system. I find that this is not as precise as an actual frame size and virtual TT.
S-M-L is no better or worse than 52-54-56. In either case you look at the geometry chart to get the dimensions you need.
Old 12-21-21, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
S-M-L is no better or worse than 52-54-56. In either case you look at the geometry chart to get the dimensions you need.
I will disagree but in this case I have looked at the geometry chart and, as I was trying to say, I am between their S-M sizes. I come much closer to perfect using numerical sizing. That's just the way it seems to work for me.
Old 12-21-21, 06:34 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
I will disagree but in this case I have looked at the geometry chart and, as I was trying to say, I am between their S-M sizes. I come much closer to perfect using numerical sizing. That's just the way it seems to work for me.
"Numerical" sizing has nothing to do with it. One manufacturer just happens to size their bikes such that one works out right for you, and the other doesn't. It makes no difference if they call it 52-54-56, S-M-L, blue-green-red, or alpha-beta-gamma.
Old 12-21-21, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
"Numerical" sizing has nothing to do with it. One manufacturer just happens to size their bikes such that one works out right for you, and the other doesn't. It makes no difference if they call it 52-54-56, S-M-L, blue-green-red, or alpha-beta-gamma.
FWIW Canyon offers 7 sizes and Pinarello offers 9. But,enough of this.
Old 12-21-21, 07:29 PM

Yes, the number of sizes may vary between brands, but size numbers or letters mean absolutely nothing. You have to go straight to the stack and reach. I can figure out any brand in under a minute. Integrated models are stupid, for the most part. If you can't pick a stem length and bar reach, plan on having problems or getting lucky. When I buy a new frame I use the same Easton ec-90 bars I've used for many years and I know what stem and seatpost setback it should need. No surprises.
Old 12-22-21, 01:46 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Letter sizes or centimeter sizes or however else you want to describe a bike size will make no difference as long as people have no idea what stack and reach they also want for their new bike.

Though many are similar in their geometries, there is no guaranty that a bike of size with one mfr will have the same reach and stack in the same size with another manufacturer. Some differ between models of the same manufacturer.
Old 12-22-21, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01
Letter sizes or centimeter sizes or however else you want to describe a bike size will make no difference as long as people have no idea what stack and reach they also want for their new bike.

Though many are similar in their geometries, there is no guaranty that a bike of size with one mfr will have the same reach and stack in the same size with another manufacturer. Some differ between models of the same manufacturer.
There are some geometry calculators that can help to convert TT length, STA and head tube length over to stack and reach. Never assume anything when it comes to a size number or letter. My latest Cinelli frames use the seat tube length as the frame size. My 46cm is more like a traditional 52 or 53. Most brands still list the horizontal TT length, the STA and the head tube length, so it shouldn't be that tough to pick two sizes that might fit.

https://www.bikegeo.net/
Old 12-22-21, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Any of those bikes are fine. You might wait a few more months. By mid summer hopefully the LBS's will be complaining about too much inventory.
I'd loved to think this would be true, but just based on the hysteria they are doing over the current variant that seems to be pretty mild, I can't see the lock em down crowd loosening the reigns that fast as well as the supply chain catching up that fast either. However, I hold out hope of some recovery .... I have really grown beyond tired of the back and forth with this thing.

Old 12-22-21, 06:38 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
On the cockpit, just had a user post on Slowtwitch they don't like the reach/width of their Canyon bars and it is integrated. They can't find a replacement right now, so are stuck.

Something to consider if you don't KNOW your fit coordinates. Otherwise, go get a nice bike fit with known coords you can give a shop and say "I have to have this frame and this handlebar/stem combo".

But this JUST came up with a user on that forum not finding a replacement handlebar.