Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

are 'new' aluminum frames really better than the old?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

are 'new' aluminum frames really better than the old?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 04:48 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually, I think it is you who are confused. What Campag is doing is called 'being honest in a discussion." What most others do here (and elsewhere) is to pick a side and defend it no matter whether their arguments are rational, honest, accurate, or invented.

Campag admits that one factor of having a carbon frame is that if you are stupid about screwing something into it, you could damage it. Since as far as anyone can tell, that's a fact ... why would anyone Not admit it ... in an Honest discussion, where all parties are actually trying to get information to increase understanding on a topic.

On the other hand, all the talk about aluminum frames cracking in a few years or carbon frames asploding at every impact are trash, so Campag doesn't take them seriously. It doesn't mean he rejects the truth, just the opposite---he accepts the truth and rejects the untruth, regardless of whether people taking an "opposing" position state it or not.

Campag is not "agreeing with texiera and gweedo," he is accepting fact. He is disagreeing with people who make exaggerated or incorrect statements, and agreeing with correct statements.

Doing anything else would be "confused and defensive."

Just like trying to attack someone for being honest could be interpreted as "confused and defensive."

Like using a criminal-oriented term like "MO" to describe someone's action in making an emotional, not a rational, appeal to discredit the other party, regardless of whether what he says is correct and what you say is inaccurate. Just another cheap debating trick used by people who want to win an Internet argument more than they want to participate in an honest discussion.

Not that I would classify you among those folks.
Thanks for the passionate defense, but unfortunately I do not know whether you are right or wrong, as I have not followed the discussion at all, and was just jumping in to kibitz, albeit drawing on my previous experiences with the poster Campag4life...who, as an interesting aside, is not "Campagnolo for life" as his user name might suggest. He's quite a Shimano fan, believe it or not!
Old 01-12-16, 05:01 PM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Maelochs...
At the end of the day, discussion grows wearisome. People here ignorance about carbon fiber...those with little experience with it making sweeping inaccurate statements. Ridiculous.
What is particularly laughable is...the single most stressed member on a frame is the front fork and what is the material most commonly used in the industry for ALL bike materials...Al, steel, Ti and carbon fiber frames?....carbon fiber forks.
What this thread proves as mentioned is just how alive and well the flat earth society is.
Cheers.

Actually, I think it is you who are confused. What Campag is doing is called 'being honest in a discussion." What most others do here (and elsewhere) is to pick a side and defend it no matter whether their arguments are rational, honest, accurate, or invented.

Campag admits that one factor of having a carbon frame is that if you are stupid about screwing something into it, you could damage it. Since as far as anyone can tell, that's a fact ... why would anyone Not admit it ... in an Honest discussion, where all parties are actually trying to get information to increase understanding on a topic.

On the other hand, all the talk about aluminum frames cracking in a few years or carbon frames asploding at every impact are trash, so Campag doesn't take them seriously. It doesn't mean he rejects the truth, just the opposite---he accepts the truth and rejects the untruth, regardless of whether people taking an "opposing" position state it or not.

Campag is not "agreeing with texiera and gweedo," he is accepting fact. He is disagreeing with people who make exaggerated or incorrect statements, and agreeing with correct statements.

Doing anything else would be "confused and defensive."

Just like trying to attack someone for being honest could be interpreted as "confused and defensive."

Like using a criminal-oriented term like "MO" to describe someone's action in making an emotional, not a rational, appeal to discredit the other party, regardless of whether what he says is correct and what you say is inaccurate. Just another cheap debating trick used by people who want to win an Internet argument more than they want to participate in an honest discussion.

Not that I would classify you among those folks.
Old 01-13-16, 03:40 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are making the most elementary error of all, which is the very odd presupposition that any single person can be perfect in their arguments.

Why you ascribe god like characteristics to campag4life is beyond me.

Campag4life is making the same error that he ascribes to others, which is thinking strictly in black and white terms, ie "carbon is perfect, there are no failures." The reality is, any material can fail. Carbon just happens to fail under rather mundane conditions that cover a very large percentage of riders. That is, riders who install parts or remove them without a torque wrench, and riders who transport their bikes. I'd say this covers a fair percentage of bicyclists.

Also, campag4life has some difficulty coming up with apt metaphors. Of course most people don't drive hummers. Then again, most people don't drive camry's, even though camry's are the most popular selling sedan in the US. Even though hummers themselves are not especially popular, trucks and suv's are wildly popular in the US. The sales prove this fact over several decades.

Also, the notion that bicycle manufacturers were or are going out of business by selling heavy, overbuilt bikes is quite ridiculous. Mountain bikes made up half the sales of all bike shop bikes in the '80's and today, they, along with other heavy bikes: comfort bikes and hybrids, account for a majority of sales as well.

Trek makes very lightweight bikes and are the largest domestic "manufacturer" but it's a safe bet that their sales lead was and is due in large part due to their association with lance armstrong, not because their bikes are especially lightweight.

Trying to ascribe "ubermensch" status to anyone posting on an internet forum is actually quite silly.

But back on topic, I don't have an aversion to carbon bikes. Some of them ride well, some of them don't. I do take heed of Texiera's words and take into account his accounting of carbon's strengths AND weaknesses, since he is especially experienced with design and manufacture.

I doubt that campag or anyone else posting here can lay claim to similar credentials. I don't mind your "impassioned defense" as some might call it, but it's totally overblown.
Old 01-13-16, 03:43 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Thanks Maelochs...
At the end of the day, discussion grows wearisome. People here ignorance about carbon fiber...those with little experience with it making sweeping inaccurate statements. Ridiculous.
What is particularly laughable is...the single most stressed member on a frame is the front fork and what is the material most commonly used in the industry for ALL bike materials...Al, steel, Ti and carbon fiber frames?....carbon fiber forks.
What this thread proves as mentioned is just how alive and well the flat earth society is.
Cheers.
Really? You have 10,000 posts so I doubt you find the process wearisome. You are the one posting the most frequently in this thread, and perhaps on the forum overall.

Also, as I have pointed out, your tendency towards black and white arguments and inane labeling of everyone else as wrong while arguing that only you can be right and have authoritative knowledge is beyond laughable. Please rein it in.
Old 01-13-16, 08:40 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by vanguardx3
Campag4life is making the same error that he ascribes to others, which is thinking strictly in black and white terms, ie "carbon is perfect, there are no failures."
Sorry, dude, but the post too which I was replying directly was citing a post by Campag in which he Admitted that carbon had durability issues. The whole point was that campag was saying carbon was as safe as any other material but Not perfect, and someone else said he was thus confused.

The whole notion that Camopag was saying "carbon is perfect, there are no failures" is exactly opposite of what he said, so I don't understand what you are saying ... or there is misunderstanding somewhere ....

Also, campag4life has some difficulty coming up with apt metaphors. Of course most people don't drive hummers. Then again, most people don't drive camry's, even though camry's are the most popular selling sedan in the US.
Well, I doubt any of us are all that great as writers---Shoot, I could call you out for improper capitalization of proper nouns.

And indeed, most people seem to buy pickups, not sedans. On the other hand, most people do Not buy pick-ups for safety, I'd wager, but more for the manly image, which they buy into because they believe advertising. And a lot of people (based on my observation, no kind of scientific study or structured poll) buy SUVs because they like big, substantial cars, and associiate big cars with comfort and wealth. [/quote]

Also, the notion that bicycle manufacturers were or are going out of business by selling heavy, overbuilt bikes is quite ridiculous. Mountain bikes made up half the sales of all bike shop bikes in the '80's and today, they, along with other heavy bikes: comfort bikes and hybrids, account for a majority of sales as well.
Here you are either confused or being disingenuous. The quote about going out of business selling heavy bikes referred directly to selling Road Bikes, something we all understood if we had been following the conversation. The quote referred to companies like Schwinn with their 36-lb ten-speed Road Bikes, getting blown out of the market by companies building lighter Road Bikes.

Obviously mountain bikes tend to weigh more than road bikes, and all of us who rode through the '80s and more so the '90s recall the boom in mountain bikes ... but lightweight road bikes hit the market well before that, and companies who did not adapt and start selling competitively light bikes, lost market share. The "mountain bike" comment is off-target.

Trek makes very lightweight bikes and are the largest domestic "manufacturer" but it's a safe bet that their sales lead was and is due in large part due to their association with lance armstrong, not because their bikes are especially lightweight.
Very inventive. Have any evidence? if it were true, one would expect Trek's popularity to follow Lance Armstrong's, eh? Doesn't seem to be the case. And what about Giant? Which rider boosted them to be a force in the industry? Interesting proposition, but not sure it is supported by evidence. You can supply such evidence if you have it.

Trying to ascribe "ubermensch" status to anyone posting on an internet forum is actually quite silly. ....I don't mind your "impassioned defense" as some might call it, but it's totally overblown.
I AM the Internet “Übermensch” in one specific category. I Am the Ultimate Bloviator. I am honored that you would notice.
Old 01-13-16, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When started last week, I had a feeling this thread would go in this direction...
Old 01-15-16, 01:09 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, does anybody who's bought, sold, ridden or serviced multiple ALUMINUM bicycles in the last 20-30 years have anything relevant to say about the thread subject?
Old 01-15-16, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
When started last week, I had a feeling this thread would go in this direction...
... trash-talking CF? Sure, that's safe, unlike trash-talking steel... what do the pros know?
Old 01-15-16, 02:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Everything new in cycling is better than the old stuff ... except the riders.
Old 01-15-16, 03:10 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by 700
Yeah, does anybody who's bought, sold, ridden or serviced multiple ALUMINUM bicycles in the last 20-30 years have anything relevant to say about the thread subject?
I currently ride an '88 Cannondale Criterium Series, is that old enough? I've worked on a few of them and other friends of mine have these same bikes. The harder you ride it the more you appreciate. It does not disappoint.
Old 01-15-16, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
all the pro bikes are actually sleeved with steel tubes so when the carbon explodes, they won't crash.
Same with the wheels.

If Alberto Contador's pro bike were to explode, Jaques Anquetil on a steel bike would ride out the other side of the carbon dust cloud.
True story.
Old 01-16-16, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on this 2015 Vitus Zenium frameset.
Weight is the same as Caad10, Bowman etc.(1100-1200g) but with a proper english 68mm threaded bb and a pretty light all-carbon fork.
If you want one, better be quick. In 2016 they ruined it by putting disc brake mounts on it!!
Cheap as hell and looks nice, too.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/f.../rp-prod125555
Old 01-16-16, 04:38 PM
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
I just got a Cannondale CAAD7 off of craigslist for a "beater" bike. I am a fan of aluminum (I ride CF-steel etc.) so I know what to expect.

I took it on a spin, and it absolutely blew me away. I stripped the Campy Record (2002) off of a Pinarello, and I am sticking it on a $225.00 craigslist bike.

Awesome "old" aluminum is still awesome.

Now I know why people go crazy for CAAD frames.
Old 01-16-16, 06:31 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
OP,
New Al bikes like the Allez are 'night an day' better than preceeding round tube Al including coveted CAAD iterations known for their harsh ride.
In fact latest ride quality rivals carbon. I own both a late model Roubaix and Secteur and the Secteur in some ways rides better than the Roubaix which is stiffer...except on big hits. The Secteur with 25mm tires has a Cadillac ride honestly...astounding. Its shape is almost the same as the Roubaix side by side as well.

Why the evolution? Not alloy difference as Bob suggested...or very little contribution there.
Rather tube shape. Extreme advances in tube forming allow for differential bending..more flex in vertical plane and more rigid horizontally. Cake and eat it too. Same principles can't be applied to steel or Ti...or rather cost prohibitive. Tube shape trumps material qualities as it turns out. In other words, with freedom to form tubes in a variety of ways, this is compensation for given material characteristics. Al is vastly different than carbon in many respects...notably modulus of elasticity and yield strength and even density and yet through careful selection of tube shape, Al can rival the performance of carbon....that is where strides have been made.

Many top amateurs aka CAT 2-3's in fact race the new CAAD and Allez bikes. Both stiff..only fractional weight penalty compared to carbon and typically $1K less for equivalent frame.

To me, with 'new' Al frames, they have obsoleted both steel and Ti. I have owned several bikes made of each material.
Campag, you mention "extreme advances in tube forming ... " Are you referring to the hydroforming process? If so, then I think it is also applied to steel, in automotive production of body panels and structural elements. If so, a new day of steel frame performance could be approaching, for the same reason Al frame performance was improved.
Old 01-16-16, 08:10 PM

Starting with post #11 (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post18438824) in this thread there is a brief discussion of SPF ... which those of us who paid our dues by reading the whole thread would know. >(

Old 01-16-16, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted:
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
You quoted me and stated:

Originally Posted by McBTC
... trash-talking CF? Sure, that's safe, unlike trash-talking steel... what do the pros know?
Huh?
Old 01-16-16, 10:36 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Campag, you mention "extreme advances in tube forming ... " Are you referring to the hydroforming process? If so, then I think it is also applied to steel, in automotive production of body panels and structural elements. If so, a new day of steel frame performance could be approaching, for the same reason Al frame performance was improved.
It's hard to arrive at the single unvarnished truth about these matters because the facts can be spun to support preconceived notions. Some of the conclusions people have about bike frames practically telegraph the bias and personal opinions that underlie supposed objective views --e.g., if you have the skill to win the Td'F and do not care about longevity you'll want the stiffness of aluminum or CF under you but if you plan to engage in thousands of miles of bicycle touring yearly for a decade you'll choose steel.
Old 01-16-16, 11:12 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
It's hard to arrive at the single unvarnished truth about these matters because the facts can be spun to support preconceived notions. Some of the conclusions people have about bike frames practically telegraph the bias and personal opinions that underlie supposed objective views --e.g., if you have the skill to win the Td'F and do not care about longevity you'll want the stiffness of aluminum or CF under you but if you plan to engage in thousands of miles of bicycle touring yearly for a decade you'll choose steel.
Welllll, ok.
Old 01-17-16, 06:13 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Will be a good day when that happens. We haven't seen the extreme forming of Steel like is now prevalent with Al. I hope the tech you speak of occurs and Steel becomes even more desirable.
Old 01-17-16, 10:25 AM

Will be a good day when that happens. We haven't seen the extreme forming of Steel like is now prevalent with Al. I hope the tech you speak of occurs and Steel becomes even more desirable.
Yeah, aluminum is still a lot easier to shape intricately than is steel---it is the main advantage the material has for bike frames. I am sure there is a lot that can be done with steel nowadays---new alloys, new working methods---but for the ultra-thin-wall tubing used in bikes, steel just doesn't cooperate as well.

Frankly, the future belongs to composites. I know a lot of folks hate the idea, and I assume there will be folks making custom steel frames for another generation or so, but materials tech is advancing most dramatically in the realm of composites. Pretty soon (well, in a generation) everyone will be riding all-plastic bikes which weigh about three pounds and are self-lubricating, with constant-variable belt-drive or maybe geared driveshafts, and all this atavistic dirty metal and gunk will be part of the past.
Old 01-17-16, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Out of curiosity, what was your previous screen name? A whole wave of you drama filled guys opened new accounts in November.
Gweedo1 is RT. Guaranteed:

Both refer to a 15 year hiatus

Originally Posted by RT
After a 15 year layoff from the bicycling, 2004 brought a healthy dose of reality to a life which had otherwise stalled in all productive areas.
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
I don't disagree with any of that, and my comments are not to knock any one frame material or another, but rather just to share some of my thoughts and feelings from the perspective of a rider reentering the market after a 15 year hiatus.
Both use a pretty unusual phrase "cheese & rice"

Originally Posted by RT
Cheese and Rice, this place has turned into the sixth grade ever since the TS posted her picture.
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
Cheese and rice. Why won’t you believe that I can believe what I want, regardless of what you believe, and that my beliefs are indeed well founded?

Last edited by DaveWC; 01-17-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-17-16, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Harry
Was at LBS and new aluminum bike frames looked impressive [thought they were carbon on first look]. These newer versions
seem sleeker than what I remember early 2000's when I decided I didn't like the harsher ride aluminum provided [and got rid of my old trekie 2300]. They are 'molding' these different now I think; at least better surface feel.

Has anyone had a comparative experience between these new aluminum frames and the older models? Do they ride any different [LBS had cervelo and felt...and they carry specialized]. Thinking about going in and testing some out as sort in a n+1 mood lately but thought I'd ask what others are experiencing on aluminum these days. Are opinions changing much about an aluminum ride?

Thanks for any comparative input. [I presently own carbon, titanium, and steel]...
Not a direct answer, but try Dedacciai and see how hydroforming is the big change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYnGEHSlV4#t=49
Old 01-17-16, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And so after mulling things over for a bit, I have reached a strategy for my cycling future: I will take my modern Al framed bike off the road after 5 years of use and close monitoring of the carbon fibre fork, and use it only on an indoor trainer when the weather is too cold to ride....because I do not trust the carbon fibre fork. I am afraid it will catastrophically fail me and will not be able to feel at ease or confident when descending at speed, or riding over some rough surfaces, especially over big, square type hits or even with aggressive use of the front binder. Then, after I saved my money up over that 5 year period, I will buy myself a new, Italian steel framed bike, and ride utterly at ease knowing I have the best bicycle frame material for me. I will be able to ride with far fewer concerns for my safety even knowing steel forks and frames can break....but utterly secure in knowing I will most likely have some warning, and that the probability of failure is far less than that Al or carbon fibre.

I reached this conclusion after having done a lot of research into Al and carbon fibre before I bought my current bike, and am now convinced based on the weakness of the counter arguments presented her, which boil down to name calling and brow beating and even accusations I am somebody else because I use popular expressions...cheese and rice it does not get much sillier than that, and am familiar when owners of certain products defend their choices when it seems they are not all that they seem, even in the face of undeniable evidence to the contrary: do not like the message, kill the messenger. I get it. But, that message has far, far more messengers than yours truly, and they all cannot be killed, so, I encourage you deniers to learn how to accept the truth: your frames and forks have some serious and undeniable safety issues.

Somebody in the preceding posts presented what I feel is a lame argument that if carbon fibre frames are such a safety hazard, that there would be countless law suits or class actions etc to prove it. Of course there could be any number of reason why there are not as many as there are, and there are enough, some of which could be non-disclosure agreements, but if people feel that the myth of carbon fibre fragility is being perpetuated by uniformed or inexperienced dim wits like yours truly has been accused of doing and being, then I suggest you gather up your formidable resources, hire a lawyer, go on line and one by one, systematically send the countless personal injury lawyers out there with information on their web sites blatantly stating that carbon fibre bicycle frames and forks are fragile and not to be trusted, cease and desist orders and demand they take that information down. See how far you get with that, because if you think about it, the bicycle industry should be doing exactly that if those statements are patently false...right?

But that does not seem to be the case, and why is that? Because the bicycle industry and all its engineers and experts and countless fan boys slash self-proclaimed experts, cannot make a case that their composite products fail at no greater a rate than Al or steel or Ti, that is why, and for me...that is all he proof I need.

I wish everybody success in his cycling career regardless of what you choose to ride or believe. As Eddy said, just ride. It is a great sport and lifestyle.

Last edited by Gweedo1; 01-17-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 10:19 PM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To me, with 'new' Al frames, they have obsoleted both steel and Ti.
I owned a 2014 Secteur and moved to a Roubaix, then to steel and each had a better feel that the AL.

Suffice to say, I find this assertion completely incorrect.
Old 01-18-16, 05:21 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I owned a 2014 Secteur and moved to a Roubaix, then to steel and each had a better feel that the AL.

Suffice to say, I find this assertion completely incorrect.
I suppose there is always room for disagreement. Couldn't disagree more. I currently own a 2014 Secteur and a 2012 Roubaix SL3 Pro with 10r carbon and the Secteur rides better than the Roubaix and FWIW the Roubaix has a great ride for a raceable frame...its quite stiff. I believe Specialized absolutely nailed both bikes in all respects, stiffness and ride quality.
The Secteur isn't quite as stiff as the Roubaix and has what feels like a more 'luxurious' ride quality. It feels like driving a Cadillac and the Roubaix feels more BMW like as say compared to a Tarmac which feels like a Porsche with quicker steering and even greater road feel than the Roubaix.

Honestly both Secteur and Roubaix have a much better balance of stiffness to ride quality than any of the 30 steel road bikes I have owned. I have been at this a long time and owned 50 road bikes.

So indeed, this stuff is personal.
But make no mistake about the direction of the industry. Steel is dead and for good reason and so is Ti. The big brands with the heaviest R&D sell pretty much carbon and Al exclusively for good reason. These are the two best materials for making a high performance bicycle. Not steel and not Ti for all the boutique, bearded fanboys. Them are the facts and based upon sound engineering judgement. I have owned them all and the big brands have it right and not the oldsters clinging to a bygone era of believing steel or Ti is better. The opposite is true and why the industry has moved on and for good reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.