Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

EBay is out. What are you using now as seller and / or buyer?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

EBay is out. What are you using now as seller and / or buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The ebay terms of service have been evolving steadily.
the paypal spin off a while was an stock value play, paypal soon became worth much more.

My hunch some of this is to achieve other goals under the guise of not having a restraint of trade case in the future.
"we don't require paypal"

if one is a seller, really really pushes an isolated checking account. Limit risk.

I recall the days of sending money orders. Was not fool proof, but straightforwardish.
I have not sold on ebay, if I was to do so, I definitely would want delivery confirmation, actually by signature if possible.
Old 06-03-21, 11:22 AM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Been buying and selling on eBay since the 90’s. Would estimate that less than 1% of those transactions have been in any way bothersome.
That’s the largest potential audience and since most of what I sell is somewhat esoteric, big = optimal.
Any time there’s been a problem with a sale, I just offer a full refund if they send it back to me. No partials, no gaming. Over the years maybe one or two have taken me up on the offer.
My take on the change in billing procedures is that this way they 1) get their bite as soon as the sale concludes instead of the end of the month, and 2) make a little bit of interest on the float between end of sale and submission to your bank account.
Have not used CL in quite some time and no plans to do so in the future. Just too painful.
Sell things here once in a while but mostly give stuff away. Also give a load every year to the local Coop.
Old 06-03-21, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
It's been many years since I sold anything on Ebay, but do they still have 'free listing days' when they waive the listing fees?

As a buyer I love Ebay.
Old 06-03-21, 01:11 PM

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
For those worried about your account or eBay getting hacked and emptying your checking account.....link a checking account that has limited funds and is not linked to your main. Plenty of banks offer one for free with no requirements. Allybank is what I use. Once the funds are in this account, I move it to my main account to keep the funds limited in this account.
Likes For katsup:
Old 06-03-21, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
There's also the paperwork. According to federal tax code, we are not required to report income on small personal sales as long as it is a personal item sold at a loss. But massachusetts and Vermont now require anyone who receives more than $600 in payment for "goods and services" through an online source to receive and file some tax forms. This puts the burden of proof that these are personal items sold at loss (honestly, when you factor in the cost of transport, tools, and storage space, who is making money on hobbies these days?). But being able to prove a loss is not straightforward at all. I think the laws were intended to urge resellers of Alibaba and the like to incorporate themselves as businesses, but we hobbyists get caught up in the net. Or else I don't understand tax code. Nobody will give me a good answer, and I refuse to pay another fee to talk to a tax preparer about it, so it looks like ebay is out.

I've been buying less and less stuff there, as I think the selection really has been thinning out and the prices really have been going up. It really will be unfortunate - if they push all the smalltime sellers of garage sale type items away, ebay loses a lot of its appeal to people like us, and basically becomes a downmarket version of amazon.

In other countries, it appears to retain its charm. Maybe the laws are different. French and German and British Ebay still have killer deals.
Old 06-03-21, 01:58 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Any time there’s been a problem with a sale, I just offer a full refund if they send it back to me. No partials, no gaming. Over the years maybe one or two have taken me up on the offer.
This is the only way to go. It shuts down any further shenanigans.
Old 06-03-21, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
There a Bobish bike Google group that posts classic bikes and parts for sale.They used to be on yahoo. They usually post ads they find (CL/Ebay)but I think some members post their own bikes/parts. Here's the link, couldn't hurt to ask and you will be getting a market that likes the old stuff:
​​​​​​https://groups.google.com/g/bobishbikesfs
Old 06-07-21, 12:42 PM

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since when did that happen? Bought a small part on Ebay last week and PayPal was accepted.
Old 06-07-21, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Genesis Core 20, Carrera TDF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me, the timing is just another thing to add to my grievances about selling on ebay along with ebay always taking the customers side even if its a blatant con, the fees being too high so only ebay actually make money, ebay earning commission on postage when they aren't providing any service. Now instead of getting paid same day I have to be out of pocket on the postage, and commission, and the actual goods for a couple of days before I get scammed. At some point it has to be too bad to actually sell on it. For me that time has come. Been selling since 2001, but think I'm done.
Likes For willmarksni:
Old 06-07-21, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by sewupnut
Since when did that happen? Bought a small part on Ebay last week and PayPal was accepted.
From the buyer's side, the situation hasn't changed, you can still use paypal for purchases. It's only changed on the selling side.

In the olden days, paypal was the only portal for payments in and out of ebay. Now ebay's managed payment system takes over and paypal just becomes another payment option, but not the only one.

The concern here is that for sellers, ebay now requires a link to a checking account. Without it, can't sell there, but you can buy as much as you want.
Old 06-07-21, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm surprised that Amazon hasn't ventured far into the used market.

Initially they were a new/used book store. And the books had a stock ad, and were rated good, fair, downright grubby, etc.

But, it shouldn't take too big of a leap in concept to make a general category ad... Campagnolo Nuovo Record Derailleur... then link to specific ads by each seller. Amazon fulfillment would take a hit, but not everything has to go through Amazon fulfillment.

There have been items that I have chosen not to order on Amazon because the general ad didn't match the individual listing with no additional information provided. For example, a used multi-volume encyclopedia set for $5.

In theory, you should be able to sell anything that is truly NOS/Boxed on Amazon. Perhaps even "good used".
Old 06-08-21, 12:29 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I got comfortable with PayPal/Ebay and stopped selling when they asked for access to my checking. But this thread suggesting a separate checking? Awesome! Great idea. Keeps my play money separate as it was before.
Old 06-08-21, 06:14 PM

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That is an issue.
If someone hacks my account or ebay itself right now, they have instant access to a couple credit cards.

Either situation is a complete mess. Im just not sure how one is viewed as acceptable but the other isnt.
Totally cool- everyone has a different level of risk comfort. I just dont see a significant difference between some nefarious group getting my check card and the nefarious group getting the account the card is linked to. They have access either way up until I shut it down.
Yeah? As a buyer I got my Paypal account hacked this past January due to a change in the Paypal front page that has a button that can be pressed to access every account in your membership. Some hacker in Russia figured out how to get into my account and it was a three week ordeal to get the mayhem stopped. I wound up closing two bank accounts and two credit cards. Closing my e-mail account down, I received 50 pages of in-mails in less than two hours and my IP couldn't stop them from coming in. I had to close my E-mail account and open a new one. The attempts from the hackers was over $60K to all of my accounts.
Call me stoopid or silly, but I am done with electronic banking through either channel. I was lucky that I found it with in an hour of the attempt. If it had happened in the middle of the night, I might have been at a complete loss of way more money and loss of credit card credibility. My level of tolerance for this is zero. I was hacked by a small time hacker ten years ago and it was solved in a day and he was punished. However I'm not taking the risk anymore. JMHO, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 06-08-21 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-08-21, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Yeah? As a buyer I got my Paypal account hacked this past January due to a change in the Paypal front page that has a button that can be pressed to access every account in your membership. Some hacker in Russia figured out how to get into my account and it was a three week ordeal to get the mayhem stopped. I wound up closing two bank accounts and two credit cards. Closing my e-mail account down, I received 50 pages of in-mails in less than two hours and my IP couldn't stop them from coming in. I had to close my E-mail account and open a new one. The attempts from the hackers was over $60K to all of my accounts.
Call me stoopid or silly, but I am done with electronic banking through either channel. I was lucky that I found it with in an hour of the attempt. If it had happened in the middle of the night, I might have been at a complete loss of way more money and loss of credit card credibility. My level of tolerance for this is zero. I was hacked by a small time hacker ten years ago and it was solved in a day and he was punished. However I'm not taking the risk anymore. JMHO, MH
It might be a good time to clean up some unused PayPal preferences.

The banks (or PayPal) usually cover fraudulent withdrawals, and can often claw back funds, although I'd imagine the hackers play some kind of bank shell game, so the funds hit their PayPal account, then are gone in a few milliseconds.

Unfortunately, the banks often seem to ignore the small-time hackers, $500 at a pop. Are they domestic or foreign? It is often the E-Retailers that get stuck with the bill. No money, and no goods.
Old 06-09-21, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by balto charlie
There a Bobish bike Google group that posts classic bikes and parts for sale.They used to be on yahoo. They usually post ads they find (CL/Ebay)but I think some members post their own bikes/parts. Here's the link, couldn't hurt to ask and you will be getting a market that likes the old stuff:
​​​​​​https://groups.google.com/g/bobishbikesfs
just tried the link- gotta be a member is appears.
Old 06-09-21, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
From the buyer's side, the situation hasn't changed, you can still use paypal for purchases. It's only changed on the selling side.

In the olden days, paypal was the only portal for payments in and out of ebay. Now ebay's managed payment system takes over and paypal just becomes another payment option, but not the only one.

The concern here is that for sellers, ebay now requires a link to a checking account. Without it, can't sell there, but you can buy as much as you want.
Wasn't that true for Paypal in the past when they were the only payment option? I seem to remember Paypal requiring me to link to my checking account to sell on eBay when I sold a few things years ago. Never sold much, but I don't see the difference between Paypal having access to my checking account (which pissed me off at the time) and eBay (which at the time controlled Paypal). If either of them got hacked, I was in trouble.
Old 06-09-21, 08:48 AM
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Same story here.
Long time eBay user (1999), haven’t sold since they insisted on having fingers in my bank account.
And don’t get me started on their mandatory escrow scam for wristwatch sales.

The time is perfect for an eBay competitor.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-09-21, 09:39 AM

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
I still use eBay and have not had any problems including overseas transactions (knock on wood). Also, brick and mortar businesses list there and I'm gullible enough to think that my $$ is better going to them vs Amazon's coffers.

FB marketplace has been good to me for some stuff. It seems like people won't travel more than a few miles to buy things so I purposely look for listings outside metro areas.

Like others, when I decide to let go of stuff I will offer it here for little or $0. I've had members do the same for me so seems fair to reciprocate.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-09-21, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
just tried the link- gotta be a member is appears.
It does target the vintage cycling market, joining cost nothing
Old 06-09-21, 10:29 PM

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Pinkbike and various Facebook communities such as Sell & Buy - Steel Is Real, Campagnolo For Sale and STEEL IS REAL !!! - Classic Vintage Road Bikes. Here in British Columbia we also have British Columbia Bicycle Classifieds and BC Bicycle Buy n' Sell Facebook groups.
Old 06-10-21, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I still use eBay and have not had any problems including overseas transactions (knock on wood). Also, brick and mortar businesses list there and I'm gullible enough to think that my $$ is better going to them vs Amazon's coffers.
Although many, if not more, use Amazon as well too, no?
Old 06-10-21, 05:32 PM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
I’ve picked up some really nice stuff off Facebook, mainly on the C&V specific groups. The CR list is good, too.
Old 06-11-21, 02:54 PM
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I've just sold a bike on eBay this evening and have now run into this problem. I was hoping to be paid in cash but the buyer couldn't get to an ATM so paid by PayPal about an hour before handover. Now I'm having to give my bank account details to eBay to get my money. Once I get paid I'll either close my account and open up a new account for buying with a credit card with a low credit limit or keep my account open for buying and strip out as much personal info as I can. I'll certainly be using my LBS more than I have been too (to be fair this has already started).
Old 06-11-21, 04:55 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I got comfortable with PayPal/Ebay and stopped selling when they asked for access to my checking. But this thread suggesting a separate checking? Awesome! Great idea. Keeps my play money separate as it was before.
Right? I was gonna bail on selling because of this change, too, but a separate account for Ebay selling makes sense. Still hate the fees, but wtf, gotta spend some to make some, amiright?

DD
Old 06-11-21, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Right? I was gonna bail on selling because of this change, too, but a separate account for Ebay selling makes sense. Still hate the fees, but wtf, gotta spend some to make some, amiright?

DD
look for a free checking at a Credit Union?
I can see those fees adding up otherwise at one of the big retail banks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.