Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newspaper boy's bicycle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Newspaper boy's bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newspaper boy's bicycle?

Are there any former newapaper boys out there? How did you attach your bags to your bikes? Did you have special bags or was it a standard carry bag tied to your handlebars? Does anyone have pictures of a front mounted bag on they're bikes.
Old 06-04-10, 04:54 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenneth Arie
Are there any former newapaper boys out there? How did you attach your bags to your bikes? Did you have special bags or was it a standard carry bag tied to your handlebars? Does anyone have pictures of a front mounted bag on they're bikes.
I had baskets front and rear on my bike and for the times I used a bag it sat on top of the rear baskets. FWIW my bike was a 1972 yellow Schwinn Heavy Duty, the baskets were the Wald 157 on the front and the 535's on the rear.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-04-10, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A LARGE Wald front basket & a shoulder type satchel, that I threw from. Refilled the " throwing satchel " from the basket. Bike was a Sears J.C. Higgins, mid '50' s ballon tire, I think. Papers were 5 cents.

Last edited by Esteban32696; 06-05-10 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-04-10, 05:04 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 1,031 Times in 528 Posts
When I was a kid, a lot of the paperboys had Stingray bikes. The common shoulder slung bag was just the right size to hang across the handlebars, so the bottom of the bag hung above the front fender. The strap would go across from handgrip to handgrip and the angle of the bars kept the bag from sliding down.
Old 06-04-10, 06:31 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Sometimes I used to do my brother's Washington Evening Star route from an old Robin Hood three speed... it was a small route getting smaller, and a newspaper that kept getting thinner, until it went under in the early 70's.

Starting in '78 I had a Washington Post route, but there was no option of using a bike for that. Depending on the day of the week, my canvas shoulder bag weighed between 50 and 150 lbs, occasionally up to 200 lbs (and I was still under 150). Sunday paper was so big I had to deliver half of it on Saturday evening, and Sunday morning might still be a killer. The worst was one of the weekday mornings, though... maybe Thursday morning? The papers were dropped near a house that had a stone wall about two feet high around the front yard, so I'd put my bag on that, then stuff and fold the papers into it until it was full; overflow would be stacked carefully on top. Then I'd put the strap over my shoulder and drag it off the shelf, so all the weight gradually shifted to my shoulder. For the first couple blocks of my route, I walked very slowly.

Even then, people used to ask me why I didn't use a bicycle for my route...
Old 06-04-10, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
I started with a shoulder bag which worked during the week but not on Sundays. So I bought a Raleigh 3sp and put baskets on the back.
Old 06-04-10, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Shoulder bag during the week. Shopping cart on Sunday.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-04-10, 10:04 AM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Not a regular newspaper delivery person, I was the backup guy to the fellow who covered our neighborhood. Bike was my Schwinn Mark V Jaguar (nothing like a bling newspaper boy's bike), and my setup was the regular guy's shoulder bag, plus a second bad of papers tied down (no bungee cords back then) to the rear carrier. We're talking early 1960's by the way.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 06-04-10, 11:22 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
twin Wald baskets on the back and a front basket. I also carried a regular shoulder satchel to throw from like another poster. Sundays were tough but the weekday I could usually get by with just the shoulder satchel and the front basket. Bike was a Schwinn Tiger
Old 06-04-10, 12:44 PM
poppawheelie

Bikes: Panasonic, Super Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put one bundle in my milkcrate on the back and one in a bag over my shoulder.
Old 06-04-10, 04:38 PM

Bikes: one of each

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Here's a sweety;
https://www.prices4antiques.com/trans...0-D9949961.htm
I just threw the bag over the handlebars of dad's Huffy MTB, one of the first.

I got promoted to a big route about the same time as I got my first Rambler American. Just stuffed the back seat.
Old 06-04-10, 07:04 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5519 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 242 Posts
I had a basket up front that clamped to the handlebars and the axle. Once I tried "saddle baskets" which were like panniers but made from metal. They didn't work well because it was difficult to reach back and grab a paper to throw while riding. I would roll up all my papers with rubber bands before going out on my route. With the basket up front I could ride and throw papers onto porches and get done pretty quickly. Maybe that's why it is so easy for me to hit dogs with my Halt spray while I'm riding along.

Last edited by sknhgy; 06-04-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-04-10, 07:19 PM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-05-10, 05:22 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I had a basket up front that clamped to the handlebars and the axle. Once I tried "saddle baskets" which were like panniers but made from metal. They didn't work well because it was difficult to reach back and grab a paper to throw while riding. I would roll up all my papers with rubber bands before going out on my route. With the basket up front I could ride and throw papers onto porches and get done pretty quickly. Maybe that's why it is so easy for me to hit dogs with my Halt spray while I'm riding along.
I used the back baskets just for storage, when the front basket was empty or near empty I would transfer the papers to the front basket. The only reason I carried a bag was to service a couple of apartment complexes, one was actually a small highrise and everybody in the building got a paper everyday! IIRC my route was around 100 papers, they eventually went to car carriers and the subscriptions immediately dropped by over 1/3 on my route because I had mostly elderly folks that didn't want to go hunting for their paper in the trees, bushes or neighbors yard. Some things never should change.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-05-10, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I bought this Schwinn Speedster from the original owner who bought it new from money he saved delivering news papers in the late 50's early 60's and he used baskets ( the rear one is lost in action).
Old 06-05-10, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Delivered the Detroit News /Free press in the 70's. Used a Schwinn Stingray that became a BMX convert. During the week used a bag over the handle bars. Sunday paper I had a old bike trailer I garbage picked that may dad and I rigged up to pull off the sissy bar. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Old 06-05-10, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
I delivered the Chicago tribune and Sun times.I used a large Wald front basket which I bought from the news agency and they deducted over some weeks the cost of it from my pay.I used a bag inside the basket to protect the papers from rain and snow.As i recall i was paid one cent per paper per day.I delivered about 80 papers per day covering about one half of the small town I live in.My bike was a Sears Spaceliner.Unlike today back then kids wanted to have a paper route and I felt lucky to have one.
Old 06-05-10, 05:35 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I had a heavy steel rack and a cruiser seat on a beaten up Huffy Rail when I delivered papers. There were hills on my route, the 5 speed gearing was helpful. No pictures, sorry! This was circa 1972.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 09-13-11, 07:14 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Country Specialized Sirrus Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the 70's I rode a Schwinn Manta Ray with a front rack to keep the bag off the front tire and the paper company SOLD me handlebar horns. You would take your bag and wrap a couple of turns of the strap around the horn and then stretch across to the other horn and wrap that around and then the weight of the bag would keep the paper bag in place. Worked like a charm. Paperboys had to pay for all equipment. Paper bags, rubber bands anything we got from the paper we had to pay for. An early education in overhead LOL. I loved the Manta Ray it was a great bike up until the time one of my customers ran over it. It was ORANGE for God's sake how do you not see this huge bike.
Old 09-13-11, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
KA, In about '63 or '64 I used my Schwinn American with two Wald baskets mounted to the rear fender and axle. I daily delivered about sixty small town newspapers before daylight. The bike wasn't quite heavy duty enough and eventually the rear wheel was rebuilt with heavier duty spokes.

Between delivering in the morning and collecting in the evening my folks ended my newspaper job.

Brad
Old 09-13-11, 12:11 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I used to deliver the Minneapolis Star back in the late '70s. The Star was the afternoon Paper; the Tribune, the morning paper. I delivered the Sunday Tribune, too. I had a cart for Sunday papers, but I remember riding with the shoulder bag on my shoulder, or even with the strap on my head. How I balanced, I don't remember. I had a banana seat, ape hanger single speed bike, and I got a Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed when I was 11 or 12. I had wald double baskets mounted on the rear of that for awhile; I remember loading papers in them.

We couldn't just throw papers on to front steps or porches; we were expected to place the paper between the screen door and storm door, in a mailbox--wherever the customer wanted it. I remember riding up sidewalks, putting the kickstand down, delivering the paper, then riding down the sidewalk to the next house. Faster than walking.
Old 09-13-11, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,555 Posts
I subbed for friends. when is was bike weather it was a big basket on the front of my coast to coast schwinn clone. In the winter (northern montana) it was canvas paper bags hanging from the shoulder and once in a while for sunday papers a sled.

Old 09-13-11, 12:48 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No baskets for me, I carried papers in a double canvas sack (front & rear) spinning the sack around when it bacame too unbalanced (i.e. started choking me). On Sundays, I had to make multiple trips, which was OK because the drop-off was near the middle of the route.

My route was over 3 miles end to end, with lots of side streets, so it always took me at least an hour.

I fell asleep once on a long gradual down hill section with no subscribers... fortunately I woke up before road rash became an issue.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-13-11, 01:20 PM
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had front and rear baskets mounted on a Schwinn too. I carried the evening paper and Wends and Sun were the worst. Sundays were easy 2 trips and during the holidays so were Wendsdays. I think I had at tops about 250 papers.

Growing up on the Chesapeake Bay made it interesting to deliver in the winter as wind gusts were incredible. After getting blown off my bike several times and being forced to ride head-first into gale force winds on ice/snow covered streets would force me to carry in the satchel. Papers were always dropped at route supervisors house for some strange reason forcing me to have to walk forever to pick-up. Did it for 3 years. Worst. Job. Ever. lol
Old 09-13-11, 02:13 PM

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 1,133 Times in 431 Posts
theres an old man in my town that has a bunch of bikes, he showed me his 1953 western flyer x53 all original that he bought brand new in 53 from the western auto store. theres a big knob on each side of the handlebar by the grips. he told me those were made for paperboys to hang there bags on. very cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.