Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

LA and The Hour

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 08:51 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this would be great for cycling. This would bring even more interest to the sport and let people know that there is more to cycling than the TDF. I think it's equally important for Lance to do some of the classics to drive this point home some more.

Personally, I love this record. This is what cycling is all about...man against himself. I would definitely be interested in seeing it either live or on TV. I'd love to see anyone try to break it. Think of the pressure. Anyone who seriously wants to try is basically saying, "I think I can beat this record." If they don't pull through it would sure be a tough pill to swallow.

I think Lance has something to prove. I bet he's sick of hearing this stuff about how he's not the best cyclist out there.
Old 01-25-05, 12:41 PM
EmperorNorton II

Bikes: Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, this is just the kind of thing Lance & his team of experts could accomplish....
Old 01-25-05, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by EventServices
The track has to be UCI-approved.
Koffee, I always enjoy your posts, but Northbrook is something like 401 meters long, and has almost no seating.
This event will be huge. And its impact on track cycling could be huge, too...if done right.

It would be cool if every track in the US established its own Hour Record.
I challenge anyone to ride for an hour on our 200m merry-go-round.
I don't necessarily mean Northbrook, but on a some track would work for me. I can see Don King standing next to Lance at MSG with his silvery hair screaming "I pity the fool! I pity the fool!", as he jabs his pointing finger at the mass of cameras.

Pick a velodrome... any velodrome. There have to be others out there that could work.

Koffee

Old 01-25-05, 12:56 PM
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know Mig wasn't short ... but 190mm cranks! OUCH!
Old 01-25-05, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Torelli Titanio with full Chorus and Eurus wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering MSG was originally a velodrome (where both 6 day races and, surprise surprise, the Madison wre invented) I think it certainly has enough history to support an hour record attempt. I wouldn't fault Lance for choosing to ride there.
Old 01-25-05, 02:27 PM

Well, glad it WAS a velodrome, but it isn't now. It's some tacky boxing arena for pay-per-view fights with Don King's flunkies. Pick a real velodrome. Or have it at MSG, and convert it back to a velodrome, have track races, and let's restore MSG to it's original glory, and make it a central point for important track cycling races.

Somehow, I just think it's going to turn into a big, glittery, tacky debacle, that's all. If you're going for a track record, why not do it someplace that specializes in track racing, that's all?

Koffee

Old 01-25-05, 03:16 PM
Real riders break wind.

Bikes: Norco CRR two, Devinci Sydney, Norco Team DH, Norco Kris Holm Unicycle, (BMX was stolen).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
If you want to see MJ play, let me know the next time you're in Chicago. If he shows up at the club, I'll get you a pass. He's always doing a pickup game there when he's in town. He's still got it.

Koffee
I came to Chicago 3 years ago to see the Bulls play. I grew up watching MJ play for NC then move on to Chicago. I always wanted to see him and the Bulls play. I got 1/2 my wish even if I didn't know any of the players (sure recognized the coach though). Let's put it this way if I had a guarantee of seeing MJ play, you tell me where and when and I'll be there.
Old 01-25-05, 03:30 PM

I'll do a little snooping and get back to you.

Koffee

Old 01-25-05, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It is likely that any effort to break the one hour record will be done in Mexico City, or another high altitude location. And, a "generous" sponsor should be available for a truly high quality track.

Interviews with prior holders of the one hour record indicate that most of them consider it one of the hardest things they have done in their lives. Basically, ride right at their "outer" limit for a full hour. The UCI rules limit "tricks" with the bike or wheels, so a 2005 or 2006 attempt will be made on a bike that is not hugely different or "better" than a bike available in 1985 or 1986. The record will get broken by the rider, and not by technology.
Old 01-25-05, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
I don't think that ticket in MSG is going to be that easy, if the public is even offered any. Aren't most attempts at the hour record done in semi-seclusion, i.e. not in front of a big crowd?

I'd say he could probably fill a healty sized dome for this sort of thing. We Americans love our big, one-time events.
I can always try and angle the press pass thing...I'm a photojournalist at a daily newspaper and this would definitely be news.

PJ
Old 01-25-05, 09:17 PM
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
If it's done, I can't imagine that it would be done LIVE on TV. If he fails after 20 minutes, the program would be a beached whale.

Interesting point: Madison Square Garden is round.
It's kinda like driving on the parkway and parking in the driveway.
Old 01-25-05, 09:24 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the ORIGINAL MSG was a velodrome, but I'm sure most of you know there have been like 5 or so Madison Square Gardens... Of course that doesn't mean they haven't/couldn't put down a 'drome in the current one.
Old 01-27-05, 02:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Armstrong is a good candidate for this competition, because IIRC he is a bit smaller than Indurain and Boardman. Smaller meaning lighter. Lighter meaning less ground/gravitational resistance in the corners.
Old 01-27-05, 03:00 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight doesn't have a whole lot to do with the hour record, at all. Its mostly about insane power output combined with aerodynamics. Larger riders tend to to better at things like the hour and TTs (flat) simply because the aerodynamic increase on a slightly taller man is not proportional to the increased amount of power he can put out do to bigger/stronger muscles. Hills are different, because the WEIGHT of a slightly taller rider is a much bigger hinderance than the slight power advantage he has.
Old 01-27-05, 03:42 PM
Real riders break wind.

Bikes: Norco CRR two, Devinci Sydney, Norco Team DH, Norco Kris Holm Unicycle, (BMX was stolen).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=EventServices]If it's done, I can't imagine that it would be done LIVE on TV. If he fails after 20 minutes, the program would be a beached whale.

QUOTE]

Did you see the Mike Tyson comeback fight? Millions of spectators watch a 90 second fight.
Old 01-27-05, 03:53 PM
Wind Breaker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbhowat
Larger riders tend to to better at things like the hour and TTs (flat) simply because the aerodynamic increase on a slightly taller man is not proportional to the increased amount of power he can put out do to bigger/stronger muscles.
Pro peloton beware! For I am taller than most of you...
Old 01-27-05, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbhowat
Weight doesn't have a whole lot to do with the hour record, at all.
Not a lot, but it is definetly a factor.
Like I already said, it's not about aerodynamics.
When doing the hour, the rider has to do a lot of corners. A lot.
Weight is a factor in cornering.

Ferrari said that a big reason why Rominger was able to better Indurain's hour distance was the fact that Rominger weighed less.

It would be different if the hour record was done on a flat straight outdoor road, like any road race time trial.
Old 01-27-05, 09:29 PM
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, Pedal.
I see your quote.
But what I know of the game, on top of filling 40 minutes, is that they wouldn't want to go live with a failure.
Old 01-28-05, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brent_dube
Not a lot, but it is definetly a factor.
Like I already said, it's not about aerodynamics.
When doing the hour, the rider has to do a lot of corners. A lot.
Weight is a factor in cornering.

Ferrari said that a big reason why Rominger was able to better Indurain's hour distance was the fact that Rominger weighed less.

It would be different if the hour record was done on a flat straight outdoor road, like any road race time trial.
what? it's not about aero? it's all about aero, no? didn't we see like 5k gains in the hour record once they started using ultra aero bikes and all. then when boardman went back to oldstyle merckx bikes he only beat merckx's recrod by like 10m.
Old 01-28-05, 09:54 AM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will Lance be shooting for the retro record or the absolute record?
Old 02-01-05, 03:47 PM
Real riders break wind.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read at www.pedalmag.com that a scientist of exercise output has predicted that if Lance goes for the record, not only would he break it but he would smash it by such a margin that it would not be beat for decades. Apparently the European community made quite a big deal about his report and Lance's 'people' contacted him to review the info. I'd venture to bet this will really give Lance more inspiration to go for it. Man I hope he does.
Old 02-03-05, 08:48 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Will Lance be shooting for the retro record or the absolute record?
According to some of the articles, he may do both. At different times, of course.

There's another good reason to do The Hour--after winning six TdF's, a seventh is not as big of a deal media-wise. Doing something different this year would let others shine in the TdF, give LA the buzz from The Hour, and make the 2006 Tour a bigger deal.
Old 02-03-05, 09:03 AM
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Assuming he goes for the hour record, it'll be interesting to see how he rides the single day races. If he rides with training for the hour record in mind, I'm thinking he'll look for chances to make some long break aways. One can hope at least. It would rock to see him busting out from the peloton.
Old 02-03-05, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
I don't necessarily mean Northbrook, but on a some track would work for me. I can see Don King standing next to Lance at MSG with his silvery hair screaming "I pity the fool! I pity the fool!", as he jabs his pointing finger at the mass of cameras.

Pick a velodrome... any velodrome. There have to be others out there that could work.

Koffee
That was Mr T that said that wasn't it?
Old 02-04-05, 07:20 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it just me, or do famous cyclists seem shoot for the hour record at the end of their major career, i.e. no more grand tour wins seem to be in the offing? Lance's chain-rattling is certainly different in that regard. I have no doubt that he can still rock the hour record, and the peloton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.