Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you ride drawbridge grates?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you ride drawbridge grates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
we have tons of those in Chicago over the river. on my road bike I will go to the sidewalk, they freak me out. I can only imagine how horrible a crash on that surface would be. On a mountain bike I'll ride over them if they are dry, even then it is freaky.
Old 01-28-16, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I'm from Miami and there were a couple drawbridges exactly like what you describe that I'd cross while headed out to Miami Beach on my bike. Never went down, but I'd clench up every time just thinking about what that grating would do to your skin if you did crash. Definitely light hands on the bars. I prefer to keep my hands in the drops on bridges because it gives me a more secure grip if needed.

I wrecked on a narrow wooden bridge here last year because my front wheel found a gap between two planks and I was holding the tops, so the bars jerked and I didn't have time to react. I think if I'd been in the drops I could have had a chance to steer out of it.
Fort Lauderdale here, so I have to pick my route carefully from Deerfield to A1A. Only time I ride Miami is from Lauderdale to South Beach with a loop over the Venetian. I stay away from all the others, I rode out to Key Biscayne once years ago, won't do that again.
Old 01-28-16, 12:23 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
I would not want to drop My keys while crossing one. (Here, it's The Old Bridge . the New one is Vertical Lift and paved. )
Old 01-29-16, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Sidewalk, bigger and grippier tires or ride like you are on slightly rutted ice.
How do you ride on slightly rutted ice? I encountered some a couple weeks ago and it did not end well.
Old 01-29-16, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Worst grate I encountered on a bike in Fort Lauderdale is where Route 1 dips under a river. The storm grate at the bottom stretches from wall to wall with long inch wide wheel sucking slots. I recommend not taking that tunnel.
Old 01-29-16, 12:08 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12899 Post(s)
Liked 7,823 Times in 4,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
How do you ride on slightly rutted ice? I encountered some a couple weeks ago and it did not end well.
Don't be overly concerned with traveling in a straight line, let the front tire go where it wants and do your best to readjust to the new lines the bike takes. Definitely don't try to turn.
Old 01-29-16, 12:53 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Years ago I did a night time disorganized ride in Portland. We rode over the metal grate Hawthorne Bridge. Mid June but 50s adn raining, I was so cold I was shivering, riding my (now retired) Team Dumpster, a fix gear that rode like a very quick steering '70s race bike. The grating buzz amplified my shivering. Wild.

Ben
I've ridden this bridge grate many times in the wet because it's not fun getting stuck behind the lollygaggers taking the path on the side. While the long grating isn't much fun, it's also no big deal. When on anything slick, all you have to do is ride steadily and not do anything kooky with braking, turning, or acceleration.