Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best touring saddles

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best touring saddles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a drawer full of saddles that didn't work out for me, I've settled on Brooks Flyer on my tourer and my Surly CC and Brooks Imperial on the others. Prefer the Flyer over the Imperial, but they are pretty heavy, so I run Imperials on my fast bike and my grab and go beater. I've done tons of touring and century rides on both and they're comfortable for me. What's gonna work for you? Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 10-27-16, 08:28 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
How much padding does that saddle have?
I'm intrigued and since it's not at all costly could give it a try but I can't handle a lot of padding.
It's lightly padded. About the same as a Specialized Toupe but the padding is better quality on the Senso. I've ridden a number of Specialized saddles and their padding is not durable.
Old 10-27-16, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quite some time I've been looking at the ISM Adamo. It has a good rating for a lot of sites. Sure, it looks like the crotch of a shark,but it has the contour right for that sensitive area that won't have pressure that will later cause fathering issues. I think position and one's flexibility have a big statement on how one sits into the saddle. Reaching too far will put pressure on the sensitive area and cause numbness. I have been fitted for a road bike, which is a much higher seat than touring and mountain bike postures. I prefer the road bike posture as it is intended for speed, aerodynamics and so forth. To take away from some competitive touring cyclists, I noticed Mike Hall tends to ride with his seatpost high like a road cyclists while others may have a lower seat closer to level with the handlebars. However, he does drop his seatpost level with the handlebars in mountain biking, common enough. I am not as flexible in my lower back and my bones are still in the state of growth. So, I require that groove that my current saddle and seemingly the Adamo have. I've had a Brooks B17 on my original road bike which was a hand me down and while the size was right, the contour for the sensitive area created too much pressure even with the gel under tights I wear with my cycling shorts or pants.
Old 10-27-16, 09:13 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
whatever said the dozen other times this question was asked, it's in the Archives..
Old 10-27-16, 09:25 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
or something not made by brooks that's similar to the B17.
like a gyes gs-17/17-A for about $70-80.

Gyes GS-17A Leather Bike Bicycle / Saddle Black Laces
Gyes GS-17A Brown Leather Bicycle Saddle Black Laces, Copper Rails
The Gyes saddles are interesting. I have wanted to try one, but dont have any desire to spend $80 to try something I may not like. Same with the Spa saddles, though that'd be a $50 investment most likely.
Also, the Gyes gs17 would act differently from a B17 because the skirts are stitched, correct? I think thats accurate as the stitching would keep the skirts from flaring under weight. Seems like a different style saddle.

Anyways, in terms of cost, a B17 is only $90 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZA918...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-27-16, 09:54 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Never heard of this brand. Is quality on par with Brooks? I'd be curious to try on at that price.
They are good quality, from every review Ive read. They also make Origin8's leather saddle(the one that costs $90 or so).
Gyes also makes the saddles for SpaCycles.

The leather is thicker than Brooks. This means longer break in period/harder feel. Some love that, some dont care, some complain. Just a heads up.

SpaCycles has a dozen or so different models to choose from.

The one thing that I think is legitimately better is the rails are longer on the Gyes/SpaCycles saddles which provides more adjustment.
Old 10-27-16, 11:10 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The Gyes saddles are interesting. I have wanted to try one, but dont have any desire to spend $80 to try something I may not like....

...Also, the Gyes gs17 would act differently from a B17 because the skirts are stitched, correct?

i got the gyes gs-17, comes with two holes punched on each side, skirt tied with one easily
removable cord. posted the gs-17a link by mistake. the 17a has the full lacing.

gs-17 was only $45 delivered here. has broken in nicely, still liking it......

see 'em all here: https://crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/saddles-seats
Old 10-27-16, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I don't know if it's just me but once I became accustomed to riding a Brooks B17 about 20 years ago, it's hard for me to get comfortable on anything else. Everything else feels very foreign. I did enjoy the Selle Anatomica but even their thickest leather stretched too quickly for my taste.
The Selle Anatomicas do stretch, a lot. Mine reached the end of the adjustment screw after just two years. I moved it to a secondary bike and am now back to a new Team Pro on the main bike. I have two new Selle Anatomicas sitting around, bought last year on discount. They'll be put into service when needed.

That Team Pro really is rock hard. Even after being broken in it is still pretty stiff.
Old 10-27-16, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
The Selle Anatomicas do stretch, a lot.
Yea, I tried them a couple years ago, first the X series with the cut out, unfortunately my 175 lbs caused a crazy amount of leather stretch within just a few rides but it was very comfortable right out of the box. They were very kind and switched it out for a non cut out version, the NSX, and again it was comfortable and though the leather didn't stretch as quickly as the X series, it still stretched far more quickly than any Brooks I had ever ridden even after years and years of use, and so I sold it. Maybe for someone lighter or someone that doesn't mind a saddle with a lot of sagging, they would work just fine. It's a shame because to begin with, both were very comfortable. YMMV

Would love to try the carbon fiber one but my little bum is not worth that much.
Old 10-27-16, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep, super comfy, just wish it was a bit shorter on the nose. Definitely would seek some out if I ever needed to swap out the ones on my other bikes, though.
I just picked up two different ISM saddles at Cycle Fest East. They have no nose, various amounts of padding/gel, and a cut out to prevent pressure on that important part. The test ride was sufficient to convince me to buy two, but no miles on them yet. Various models are available, from narrow to wide, all designed similarly. It might be just a gimmick, but I don't think so.
Old 10-27-16, 09:42 PM
Banned

selle anatomica 'tru leather' and minus the center slot may not stretch so much.
Old 10-27-16, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by robow
Yea, I tried them a couple years ago, first the X series with the cut out, unfortunately my 175 lbs caused a crazy amount of leather stretch within just a few rides but it was very comfortable right out of the box. They were very kind and switched it out for a non cut out version, the NSX, and again it was comfortable and though the leather didn't stretch as quickly as the X series, it still stretched far more quickly than any Brooks I had ever ridden even after years and years of use, and so I sold it. Maybe for someone lighter or someone that doesn't mind a saddle with a lot of sagging, they would work just fine. It's a shame because to begin with, both were very comfortable. YMMV

Would love to try the carbon fiber one but my little bum is not worth that much.
How did you find the comfort of the non cut out version compared to the regular version? They make such a big deal about the cut outs in their literature. Does it not make a difference?
Old 10-27-16, 11:29 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
SQ Labs 610 Active is comfiest touring saddle I've tried in recent years. Spent $$ on Brooks Pro/B17/Swift but with the quirky outmoded Brooks styles/shapes there's always discomfort for me.
SQ Labs have a lot of ergonomic features & the 610 stays pretty comfortable even on 3-4 hr rides.
Old 10-28-16, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
How did you find the comfort of the non cut out version compared to the regular version?
Excellent question. Since I was coming at these saddles after many years on a Brooks B17 and not being accustomed to a cutout, I found it was OK either way, both comfortable right out of the box. Below is photo of the NSX version after only weeks of riding and already tightening the bolt. It was obvious to me that I was going to quickly run out of bolt, not to mention that I didn't care for the lengthening of the saddle's nose by a significant amount. Again, I was likely about 175 lbs at the time and I did not use any oils or treatments on the saddle so as to soften the leather. The 2nd photo below is one of my Brooks that have been ridden for many years without ever touching the adjustment bolt. Obvious difference on durability in my view. Again YMMV.

Edit and in addition: fietsbob, this one below was without the slot and it was supposedly their stiffest leather most resistant to stretching at the time. Maybe it has changed in the last two years?

Last edited by robow; 10-28-16 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-28-16, 02:01 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
SQ Labs 610 Active is comfiest touring saddle I've tried in recent years. Spent $$ on Brooks Pro/B17/Swift but with the quirky outmoded Brooks styles/shapes there's always discomfort for me.
SQ Labs have a lot of ergonomic features & the 610 stays pretty comfortable even on 3-4 hr rides.
For me the 610 is way too padded and close to a "comfort" saddle. I really want to like it since the concept is sound, but like clockwork it becomes an ass hatchet after 50km's
Old 10-28-16, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Cube Agree and others . . .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must have weirdo sit bones because I'm so much happier on a Specialized Toupe after having ridden various flavors of Brooks, including my most recent, a C17, which self-destructed after just a few months. I have been very pleasantly surprised with the Toupe. FWIW, in the '80s I loved the Concor.
Old 10-28-16, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ausfix
I must have weirdo sit bones because I'm so much happier on a Specialized Toupe after having ridden various flavors of Brooks, including my most recent, a C17, which self-destructed after just a few months. I have been very pleasantly surprised with the Toupe. FWIW, in the '80s I loved the Concor.
I once made the mistake of putting a new Toupe on my bike and immediately launching into a two week tour. By day two I was wearing two layers of bike shorts. By day three I was thinking "I am a man but there is no way giving birth could be worse than this". I ended up riding the saddle the entire two weeks. By the end of that tour I was made of steel. You could probably have pulled my fingernails out with pliers and I would have just shrugged.

Unfortunately only a slight exaggeration...

The Toupe was completely flat and with minimal padding. The shape placed all the pressure precisely, and only, on my sit bones (normally desirable), but due to the lack of padding my sit bones took an extreme pounding. I felt like my flesh was dying from the bone out, and the skin over those two small areas was hit hard. It felt like paraplegic bed sores, basically.
Old 10-28-16, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Cube Agree and others . . .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see the basis for your complaints, but I prefer a flat and hard saddle.
Old 10-28-16, 11:41 AM
Banned

Then that is what You get , You are the one sitting on it , get what your Butt likes , not what is popular on this forum.

We are not going to be sitting on it for You.

all I can Offer is what I Have been riding on , your Butt may not have the same reception.
Old 10-28-16, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the Rivet leather saddles yet? They claim that they are designed specifically to address the shortcomings of Selle Anatomica saddles while still being comfortable "out of the box" (though I also find a B17 standard to be comfortable out of the box).
Old 10-28-16, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
The best saddle is the saddle that fits. You need for it to be durable, of course, as you can't have a saddle that works fail mid trip. ...
Yup.
Old 10-29-16, 04:33 AM

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With leather saddles seaming to be the most popular. What do you do when it rains on tour? Do you cover the saddle? Just ride anyways? I would love to try a leather saddle but getting it wet is my biggest concern.
Old 10-29-16, 04:59 AM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Cheese Head
With leather saddles seaming to be the most popular. What do you do when it rains on tour? Do you cover the saddle? Just ride anyways? I would love to try a leather saddle but getting it wet is my biggest concern.
i cover it with a grocery bag at night. During the day, im sitting on it so if it rains, the rain needs to get thru me to make the saddle wet.
...though im sure the underside of the saddle gets wet from the tire.
Old 10-29-16, 05:24 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese Head
After several applications of Proofide, a natural water resistance is built up. That said, you still want to take care to avoid getting a saddle too wet. First photo below, I was on a group tour several years ago and one rider put his bike upside down in the evening so he could inspect the tires. Left the bike that way all night, in the early morning hours there was a big thunderstorm and his bike saddle sat in the middle of a puddle. By the time there was enough light for me to take the photo, most of the water had drained, but his saddle had been soaking for at least an hour, maybe two.

I use a waterproof cover. Some waterproof covers are not that waterproof. And sometimes I have instead used a thin plastic bag like a produce bag from a grocery store, those bags are pretty fragile so I used a non-waterproof lycra cover over the plastic to hold it in place.

When I apply Proofide, I have applied it top and bottom. I usually use fenders, but if you do not use fenders, you really want to apply it to the bottom to account for road spray. Second photo attached, I did not have fenders on this rainy day, I was glad that I had put Proofide on the bottom of the saddle. I have a waterproof cover on the bike in the photo although you really can't tell that from the photo.

I put a cover on it at night even if I think there will not be any dew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3547.jpg (99.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3084.jpg (95.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-29-16, 05:25 AM

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
i cover it with a grocery bag at night. During the day, im sitting on it so if it rains, the rain needs to get thru me to make the saddle wet.
...though im sure the underside of the saddle gets wet from the tire.
That was my biggest concern was riding while raining. So you have not experienced any negative effects of riding in the rain with a leather saddle? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.