Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Thunderstorms

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Thunderstorms

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 07:04 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in 'Tornado Alley', so I've dealt with my fair share of storms. I'll echo use Wx apps like Weatherbug* (which also has their 'Spark' lightning mapper) to keep tabs on the really nasty stuff like hail, straight winds, and twisters.

I'd also suggest knowing your route and have alternate routes if possible. Not only due to traffic concerns- reduced visibility by all parties and the rooster tails they tend to kick up- but know where your low lying trouble spots that are prone to flooding. (We had a real doozy here last year that was so bad the storm drains couldn't keep up and the manhole covers were being blown off- one of the local TV weather guys even went on air and told his reporters to just find a safe place and stay put).

*If you have an Android, I'd suggest checking out a new app called uWx-Weather. It was developed in part by the University of Washington and crowd sources its data and there are no ads.
Old 08-12-16, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The risk of lightning strike while on a bike seems so remote that I discount it to zero. Some of my most memorable and joyous rides were in lightning storms, some in dry summer weather. I remember fondly many morning commutes where I watched the clouds lighting up all the way in to work, about an hour. Fun stuff. I'm also fine with rain regardless of the temperature. It's a matter of wearing clothing that works for you.

Now ice, that's a different matter entirely. I don't have the gear for riding on water that isn't in liquid form, so I don't voluntarily do it. I've had a few rides on ice when the temperature along my route was colder than both my start and finish points. Those were definitely not very fun for me.
Old 08-13-16, 12:34 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The risk of lightning strike while on a bike seems so remote that I discount it to zero. Some of my most memorable and joyous rides were in lightning storms, some in dry summer weather. I remember fondly many morning commutes where I watched the clouds lighting up all the way in to work, about an hour. Fun stuff. I'm also fine with rain regardless of the temperature. It's a matter of wearing clothing that works for you.

Now ice, that's a different matter entirely. I don't have the gear for riding on water that isn't in liquid form, so I don't voluntarily do it. I've had a few rides on ice when the temperature along my route was colder than both my start and finish points. Those were definitely not very fun for me.
Yeah, lightning is a lot of fun until somebody gets hit by it.

Actually, the daughter of a friend was struck by lightning on two separate occasions. She survived both times, but had some rather disturbng personality changes that they think was a result of the electricity.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-13-16, 08:25 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The risk of lightning strike while on a bike seems so remote that I discount it to zero.

It's zero only if somebody doesn't ride or doesn't go outside, if you're outside the risk is always there...Actually lightning strikes are pretty common and several people get struck every year. It happens mostly to golfers, boaters and other people who are doing outdoor activities. Riding a bicycle during a thunderstorm is no safer then holding a golf club and playing golf or canoeing.
Old 08-13-16, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's zero only if somebody doesn't ride or doesn't go outside, if you're outside the risk is always there...Actually lightning strikes are pretty common and several people get struck every year. It happens mostly to golfers, boaters and other people who are doing outdoor activities. Riding a bicycle during a thunderstorm is no safer then holding a golf club and playing golf or canoeing.
In order to be injured by lightning the electrical energy in the lightnng bolt will find its easiest path to ground flows through your body. Since a bicycle in motion only contacts the ground with rubber and rubber is a very poor conductor of electricity, I would suspect riding your bicycle in a storm is a bit better than standing in a mudpuddle under a tall tree with a golf club.
Old 08-13-16, 03:06 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
In order to be injured by lightning the electrical energy in the lightnng bolt will find its easiest path to ground flows through your body. Since a bicycle in motion only contacts the ground with rubber and rubber is a very poor conductor of electricity, I would suspect riding your bicycle in a storm is a bit better than standing in a mudpuddle under a tall tree with a golf club.
Yes, riding a bicycle is safer against lightening than standing with an elevated golf club. But don't fool yourself into believing that your rubber tires will magically protect you. First of all the distance from your metal rim to the earth is very small and lightning capable of spanning thousands of feet of air gap won't have any problem with that last inch.

Secondly, most of experience lightening together with rain, so the water wetting you, your bike and tire provides plenty of conduit to the ground. If you're riding in an open area with no tall objects nearby, you're the highest thing around and a lightning strike, though unlikely is certainly not impossible.

Use some common sense and if the lightening is striking within 1,000' feet or less (1 second from lightening to thunder) dismount, and look for some protection.

BTW - being struck by lightening is survivable, often with no untoward consequences, but being struck while riding a bicycle is more complicated. The strike may not injure you, but will likely cause you to crash, and the crash may do more harm then the strike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-13-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 03:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, riding a bicycle is safer against lightening than standing with an elevated golf club. But don't fool yourself into believing that your rubber tires will magically protect you. First of all the distance from your metal rim to the earth is very small and lightning capable of spanning thousands of feet of air gap won't have any problem with that last inch.

Secondly, most of experience lightening together with rain, so the water wetting you, your bike and tire provides plenty of conduit to the ground. If you're riding in an open area with no tall objects nearby, you're the highest thing around and a lightning strike, though unlikely is certainly not impossible.

Use some common sense and if the lightening is striking within 1,000' feet or less (1 second from lightening to thunder) dismount, and look for some protection.

BTW - being struck by lightening is survivable, often with no untoward consequences, but being struck while riding a bicycle is more complicated. The strike may not injure you, but will likely cause you to crash, and the crash may do more harm then the strike.
I found this interesting write up. How to Avoid being Struck by Lightning Not sure how accurate it all is. But he says crouch down so if you do get a jolt it's less likely to damage vital organs in its path to the ground.
Old 08-13-16, 03:34 PM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
One reason lighning strikes on people are rare is that there are fewer people working outside, or even being outside much of the time. More people are aware of the dangers of lightning so they take steps to take shelter during thunderstorms. I passed a tree shortly after it exploded when hit by lightning. The bark would have injured anyone near it.

Avoid them. They usually pass fairly quickly.
Old 08-14-16, 12:34 AM
Sophomoric Member

I once saw four parked cars that were struck by lightning. All 16 rubber tires were completely burned up. Can you imagine how much energy it takes to burn up 16 car tires? Answer: A lot more energy than it would take to burn up two bike tires...and the cyclist sitting on them!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-14-16, 06:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
I once saw four parked cars that were struck by lightning. All 16 rubber tires were completely burned up. Can you imagine how much energy it takes to burn up 16 car tires? Answer: A lot more energy than it would take to burn up two bike tires...and the cyclist sitting on them!
Catch the car on fire and the tires burn. You should have seen the guy with the golf club!
Old 08-15-16, 12:40 AM
Sophomoric Member

Catch the car on fire and the tires burn. You should have seen the guy with the golf club!
No. The cars were not burned. Just the tires.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-17-16, 06:45 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by baldilocks
I apologize for having a similar thread in the commuting forum. So far, I've rode to work every day this week. Tomorrow there is a chance of rain. More to the point, its suppose to thunderstorm while i'm at work. I'm not car free by any means, but I'd like to be. Have you ever rode in a thunderstorm? Should I just give in and drive or hope it just rains on me? Even a bad downpour might be miserable or even dangerous while in traffic. When do you call it quits because of weather? What's the worst riding experience you've had? I'll probably make my decision tomorrow morning but, it will be nice to hear from someone who's actually been car free/car light for awhile. Thanks
What did you decide? Have you tried riding on the cloudy days yet? How did it go?
Old 08-17-16, 06:52 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
If lightning is severe, I would ask for a ride from a co-worker.
Maybe, if it looks like the lightNing might last for hours. But if you get a ride, what will you do with your bike? Your co-workers might not want you to put a wet bike in the car so you'll have to leave it at work.

Personally, I find that storms usually last only a short time and I can easily wait it out in the break room at work. And then the post-storm calm is a beautiful time to ride.
Old 08-18-16, 04:31 AM

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
What did you decide? Have you tried riding on the cloudy days yet? How did it go?
This whole week they have promised thunderstorms right as I get out of work. I currently have alot going on and have use that as an excuse not to ride. There were mornings I have rode out in the rain. The storm thing is more of a safety / visibility thing. I don't like being wet all day either. Two days ago one of the local reporters was going out to report on the storm and his car was swept down the road. It wasn't that bad until it got taken over a guard rail and flipped into a retention pond. Thankfully he broke the window with his tripod and escaped. In water like that I'de feel safer in my truck. Next week both my kids start back to collage and as a family, we only have two cars. I will have plenty of time to commute then

https://weather.com/news/south-bend/...n-flooded-road

Last edited by baldilocks; 08-18-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 02:32 PM

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ok, it didn't flip into the retention pond.
Old 08-18-16, 08:24 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by baldilocks
This whole week they have promised thunderstorms right as I get out of work. I currently have alot going on and have use that as an excuse not to ride. There were mornings I have rode out in the rain. The storm thing is more of a safety / visibility thing. I don't like being wet all day either. Two days ago one of the local reporters was going out to report on the storm and his car was swept down the road. It wasn't that bad until it got taken over a guard rail and flipped into a retention pond. Thankfully he broke the window with his tripod and escaped. In water like that I'de feel safer in my truck. Next week both my kids start back to collage and as a family, we only have two cars. I will have plenty of time to commute then

https://weather.com/news/south-bend/...n-flooded-road
Well if it's windy enough to send a car flipping down the road, I wouldn't want to be on bike, on foot, in a car or even a truck.

BTW, to solve the problem of wet clothing at work, just take an outfit with you, wrapped in a plastic bag in your backpack or panniers. This also works for sweaty days or if you just don't like to wear the same clothes for riding and working.
Old 08-18-16, 08:37 PM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm retired, so I don't hafta ride (to work, anyway); but I'm also car-free, so if/when I don't ride, groceries don't get bought, library books don't get checked-out/in, yada-yada-yada. I've got two rules: #1 If it's raining, I don't go out; #2 If it starts raining, I don't stop.