Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

High-end summer jersey brands?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

High-end summer jersey brands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 02:51 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

I rarely wear sunblock, which I understand is stupid, but I hate the stuff.

Ive never been burned through the mesh on my jersey sleeves.
saw this pic of Froome's back after a day in a mesh jersey here: Cycling survival ? how to avoid sunburn & stay comfortable | road.cc
Old 06-01-18, 02:55 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

and a different one
Old 06-01-18, 03:04 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
saw this pic of Froome's back after a day in a mesh jersey here: Cycling survival ? how to avoid sunburn & stay comfortable road.cc
Haha well maybe he should spring for the Rapha stuff.

Seriously, I’m not sure exactly what your point is. If you’re thinking I’m not sure what a sunburn is or wondering if I really spend time in the sun in my lightweight jerseys or if you’re just trying to make the point that you can get a sunburn through some mesh jerseys?

As to the first possibilities, I live in a desert and ride in very hot temps often with no shade. I am indeed exposed to sun for hours on end while cycling. I do attempt to stay out of the sun whenever possible. But it’s SoCal, and the reality is 85-90% of the time on most of our road rides is spent in full sun.

As to the final possibility, my comments are only specifically about the Rapha Souplesse Lightweight Jersey. Mesh sleeves, no sunburn for me without sunblock. I’m pretty fair skinned but get year round sun exposure which helps keep me from burning. I don’t doubt that a person can get a sunburn through a mesh jersey but I do doubt most people would get a sunburn through the jersey I’m specifically talking about.
Old 06-01-18, 03:04 PM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
But the coolest jerseys I own are the Rapha Souplesse Lightweight jerseys.
Last sale, I bought one of those as a gift for a friend. It's a terrific jersey and I especially love the 'hand' of the fabric. I don't think, however, that they offer the same fabric in jerseys for men. At least the handful of Rapha jerseys that I own are not quite as nice, material-wise... but still nice. That said, I don't own any 'Pro Team' jerseys so perhaps that's where it's hiding.
Old 06-01-18, 03:07 PM
Kit doesn't match

Froome's famous burn was wearing a Rapha jersey, as they supplied kit for Team Sky. They switched to Castelli this year.
Old 06-01-18, 03:14 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Last sale, I bought one of those as a gift for a friend. It's a terrific jersey and I especially love the 'hand' of the fabric. I don't think, however, that they offer the same fabric in jerseys for men. At least the handful of Rapha jerseys that I own are not quite as nice, material-wise... but still nice. That said, I don't own any 'Pro Team' jerseys so perhaps that's where it's hiding.
Ah, good to know. The fabric is indeed incredible to me. I also have bought all mine on sale in the $60-$85 range. Love them totally.

The new fabric on the Souplesse jersey (the regular one, not the lightweight one) is also incredible. The cut of the Souplesse stuff just happens to fit me perfectly and it was the cut and design features (non garish designs, colors I like, practical pockets and zippers) that I was sold on. I have 3 or 4 of the old model Souplesse short sleeve jerseys. Then last year, they came out with a new fabric which is super soft, stretchy, and lighter weight. Vs the older fabric with was kind of stiff and with the heavier fabric was pretty warm. The new Souplesse: OMG. I wound up buying three of em on sale at the end of the season last year.

Its actually a great spectrum now: Souplesse lightweight for the dead of summer, the new Souplesse short sleeve for late spring and early fall, the old Souplesse short sleeve for early spring and late fall. Winter I can wear the old Souplesse stuff with a base layer and arm warmers or a long sleeve jersey, either way.
Old 06-01-18, 03:17 PM
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Froome's famous burn was wearing a Rapha jersey, as they supplied kit for Team Sky. They switched to Castelli this year.
Sorry strike my previous comment to say: Froome shoulda sprung for the Rapha Women’s Souplesse Lightweight Jersey if he didn’t want a sunburn. ��

But I will bow out of this conversation now, since women’s fabrics may be different from men’s fabrics anyway. And I really don’t care what jerseys anyone else wears.
Old 06-01-18, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Have you looked at Voler?
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked their site and found a couple to my liking.
Old 06-01-18, 10:17 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I wear whatever is free, and if not that then cheap.

It's never the "nice stuff" and it always works just fine.
Old 06-02-18, 01:49 AM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
another hand up for the lightweight/flyweight rapha jerseys. have two older ones (3+ years old) and a newer one i've only worn 3-4 times.
wore the new one a few days ago on a 93 degree afternoon day in sedona, az with some decent climbs. worked great with their merino underliner
(i never go without an underliner layer and have ridden in up to 108 degrees) layer shirt. only had to unzip the jersey about halfway. it was a shortish ride of 25 miles.
on longer rides on hot days, i'll fully unzip but still comfy. rocking the merino underliner + the lightweight/super lightweight/flyweight rapha jerseys, i've never experienced
a sunburn through the fabric(s) at the beach or in the high mountains on rides of 8+ hours. they are pricey but rapha has a sale a few times a year and you can usually
pick up the "summer" jerseys for 25% off or so at the end/beginning of the year. my caveats with those jerseys is only hand wash and air dry them to prolong their life.
also try not to stuff your rear pockets too much. as uncool as it is, throw the spare tubes, tool, keys and lever in a bag under the seat or top of the frame/behind the stem
on those hot rides. just keep your "softables" like gloves, bandana, cycling cap, food and phone in the rear pockets to extend garment life and to prevent holes in the rear pockets.

i've tried castelli, craft and voler for warn weather jerseys as well. craft would be my 2nd hot weather choice but it's not close between them and 1st place.

i've got a few of the demarchi lighter jerseys too and they're my 3rd fave hot weather choice. i actually think they kill it with their midweight jerseys. i find those unbeatable in the 57f-77f range. de marchi is probably my favorite all-around jersey manufacturer.

ps...i'd rather ride in 90f+ than 68f-.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-02-18 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 02:54 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Who makes long-sleeved summer jerseys?
Old 06-02-18, 03:24 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Who makes long-sleeved summer jerseys?
One example, though I wish it was more of a thing for other manufacturers:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...jersey-11-0705
Pearl Izumi does have some of their Escape jerseys with InRCool marketing as well.
Old 06-02-18, 07:13 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
You may not like the Rapha wording on the sleeve, fair enough.

But the coolest jerseys I own are the Rapha Souplesse Lightweight jerseys. I have three older ones with no logo and one of last year’s model which does say Rapha on the arm. Otherwise however they are just solid colored jerseys. I personally want bright colors (for visibility), so two are hot pink, one is teal. The only understated one is purple.

The fabric is ultra light and very breathable. The sleeves are made of a mesh but you can’t tell from a distance. Typical practical features: zipper pocket for a little cash, three rear pockets, full front zipper.

I get it that Rapha is the kit that people love to hate. But in triple digit temps, I’m not wearing any other jersey, period.

I could get past the logo if the jersey is as nice as you say. The Souplesse collection seems to be limited to women however but the Men's Pro Team Flyweight looks similar, if not identical.

There is a Souplesse jersey for $78. This sounds like a screaming deal for the ladies.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/s...roduct/GFJ08XX

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-02-18 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Isadore climbers jerseys

The Isadore climbers jerseys are my favorite for riding in the heat of southern Mississippi

The Velocio jerseys are also very nice
Old 06-02-18, 07:49 PM
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I could get past the logo if the jersey is as nice as you say. The Souplesse collection seems to be limited to women however but the Men's Pro Team Flyweight looks similar, if not identical.

There is a Souplesse jersey for $78. This sounds like a screaming deal for the ladies.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/s...roduct/GFJ08XX

-Tim-
I have three of those jerseys already. One in each color.

Did I mention how much I like em?

Old 06-03-18, 10:36 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
@Heathpack

I've ordered a Rapha Men's Pro Team Flyweight jersey, mostly based on your glowing reviews of the Souplesse. There seems to be little difference and I'm almost convinced that they are the same product except for the pattern and name. Looking forward to riding in the Georgia summers with this.

Everyone else... I'm still looking for others and your suggestions are appreciated more than you know.

-Tim-
Old 06-03-18, 10:41 AM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
One example, though I wish it was more of a thing for other manufacturers:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...jersey-11-0705
Pearl Izumi does have some of their Escape jerseys with InRCool marketing as well.
Thanks for posting that. I also have several of the Pearl Izumi ones and can recommend them as well.
Old 06-03-18, 11:10 AM
Kit doesn't match

@Heathpack

I've ordered a Rapha Men's Pro Team Flyweight jersey
I hope you'll report back. Also, does that mean the race went well?
Old 06-03-18, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,525 Times in 2,864 Posts
Boure: https://www.boure.com/jerseysmen.html

I've never tried any of their gear, but my next door neighbor used to live near them and has some of it.
Old 06-03-18, 05:00 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by wgscott
Thanks for posting that. I also have several of the Pearl Izumi ones and can recommend them as well.
no problem. What's just a bit curious IMO, is that a quick google search shows that UPF sun sleeves (like arm warmers, but intended for hotter sunny weather), are offered by many many mainstream companies (LG, PI, Spesh, Castelli, etc), yet for some reason, UPF-specced summer long sleeve jerseys aren't much of a market? At the very least, you'd think there'd be a marketing niche for these.
Old 06-03-18, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly ECR, Serotta CSI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MagicHour
Assos ss cento and equipe are both summer weight, both have a snug race fit. I have the latest ss cento and if you hold the back up to the light it is pretty see through, they say you should wear a base layer with it. I haven’t actually had a chance to ride in this one yet, between the random weather and my work schedule unfortunately.
The voler caliber kit I have is nice too, obviously not as richly appointed as the Assos stuff but still very nice, breathable soft fabric also with a race fit, but the fabric has some stretch to it o doesn’t feel constrictive.

For sizing reference I’m 5’11” / 157# and wear a Medium in all the above-so true to size for me.
What size chest do you have? Everything I’ve been reading indicates to size up.

Old 06-03-18, 07:09 PM
Has a magic bike

@Heathpack

I've ordered a Rapha Men's Pro Team Flyweight jersey, mostly based on your glowing reviews of the Souplesse. There seems to be little difference and I'm almost convinced that they are the same product except for the pattern and name. Looking forward to riding in the Georgia summers with this.

Everyone else... I'm still looking for others and your suggestions are appreciated more than you know.

-Tim-
wow... I think literally no one on BF has ever taken my advice on anything, lol.

I hope you like the jersey!
Old 06-04-18, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
38 chest - for the Assos jerseys I have the Cento in medium and it's a snug fit, fits with a similar level of tightness shown on the dude in their marketing photos. For the Equipe which I ended up returning, that one was just a little too fitted for my taste, probably could've sized up there. I also have the SS.Mille jersey which runs big (for Assos) and i can wear that in small or medium no problem. Hope that helps.
Originally Posted by Marc40a

What size chest do you have? Everything I’ve been reading indicates to size up.

Old 06-04-18, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,525 Times in 2,864 Posts
no problem. What's just a bit curious IMO, is that a quick google search shows that UPF sun sleeves (like arm warmers, but intended for hotter sunny weather), are offered by many many mainstream companies (LG, PI, Spesh, Castelli, etc), yet for some reason, UPF-specced summer long sleeve jerseys aren't much of a market? At the very least, you'd think there'd be a marketing niche for these.
Years ago, I first tried sun sleeves, then the "leg coolers", (both Desoto).
Then I found Performance selling a long-sleeved summer jersey, so I bought one.
I liked it so much that I ordered a second so I'd always have a fresh one if the other was in the laundry.

I've never worn a short-sleeved jersey since.
It just makes no sense to have to fuss with putting on 3 items of clothing above the waist when one does it all.
I'm also done with the expense and mess of sunblock, (except for my face).

I still use the "leg coolers".
They are remarkably effective even though they look almost sheer.
Old 06-04-18, 04:52 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Whatever happened to the (about 2 yrs ago) "ColdbBlack" and "Carbon"-infused clothing.. SPF protection and some cooling effects? It would be kinda 'cool' to see clothing with SPF hangtags on them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.