Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colnago Master Vs Gunnar Sport

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colnago Master Vs Gunnar Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
Sorry I meant Gunnar roadie vs colnago master. Don't know how to change the title.

If you had to choose between these 2 which one would you build? What advantages would one have over the other. Looking to build a full steel bike (including fork). Looking for good performance, a good Sunday rider.

Any other full steel bike I should look at?
One additional comment about regular steel frames, they can rust. I have a custom Cinelli Supercorsa that has poor chrome work and the chrome lugs began to rust in months. Cinelli is making me a new frame with a new chrome plate process, but it is being held up by the virus in Italy. That problem is why I got the Barco XCr stainless frame. I was worried that my sweat was too corrosive for my bike's own good. It isn't a problem with fully painted frames, but I like the shiny chrome for a classic lugged steel frame. My Barco XCr is a modern TIG welded frame that is very high tech, it also weighs several pounds less than my Cinelli Supercorsa. shown here.

Old 04-15-20, 03:25 PM

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Since a Colnago Master in AD10 Blue is the only frame I would buy, bar none, if I were replacing my current ride and I had 3 grand to spare, this is an easy question for me.
Old 04-15-20, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Litespud
Since a Colnago Master in AD10 Blue is the only frame I would buy, bar none, if I were replacing my current ride and I had 3 grand to spare, this is an easy question for me.
In my humble opinion, the Colnago Master paint job is gaudy and far too flashy. I would opt for the Colnago Arabesque instead.
Old 04-15-20, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I actually just ordered the master in saronni red. Ordered from the UK. Much cheaper then Canada

After taking into account the account the extra I had to pay for the fork and paint on the Gunnar the master was just a tad more expensive. I liked the idea of going custom but that was so much more so maybe nexr time.

Now to pick the group. Im guessing I gotta go with campag. This will be my first time trying it out. Thinking of the modern chorus groupset

Thanks for everyone's help

​​​
​​​​​​

​​
Old 04-15-20, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slowridr
I actually just ordered the master in saronni red. Ordered from the UK. Much cheaper then Canada

After taking into account the account the extra I had to pay for the fork and paint on the Gunnar the master was just a tad more expensive. I liked the idea of going custom but that was so much more so maybe nexr time.

Now to pick the group. Im guessing I gotta go with campag. This will be my first time trying it out. Thinking of the modern chorus groupset

Thanks for everyone's help

​​​
​​​​​
You won't go wrong with Campy. Chorus is a very nice group. It's a big sin to put Asian groups on a beautiful handmade Italian frame.
Old 04-16-20, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
In my humble opinion, the Colnago Master paint job is gaudy and far too flashy. I would opt for the Colnago Arabesque instead.
fair enough. I’m not wild about the Arabesque’s lugs - a little overdone for my taste, but the kicker for me is the threaded headset. I’m all for retro (and the Arabesque certainly is a beautiful bike) but I simply think threadless is a better system. To my mind, the Master is retro but modern where it counts