Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy your bike gear? Helmet, pump, water bottle etc.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where do you buy your bike gear? Helmet, pump, water bottle etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 01:48 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Pumps - it depends. If I know exactly the model I want, then the internet. Likely eBay or AliExpress. If I'm getting a generic floor pump to keep at work, or a frame top tube adapter for my MTB, then Facebook Marketplace.

Water bottles - these I've accumulated from events, Christmas stocking gifts, give-aways and the like. I haven't bought one in 10 years, although it was from my neighborhood Performance.

Helmets - these matter. A lot. It has to be light weight and have plenty of ventilation, and an excellent, adjustable harness and clip system. So, if I know exactly the model I want and its size, then the internet. I have also bought a MTB helmet sight unseen from AliExpress. It was a risk, but it looked like an exact copy of a popular MIPS helmet. Turned out terrific, and I wear it without reservation.
Old 04-27-20, 02:21 PM
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
LBS, online. Heck I'll even look at bike stuff at Wally or Target. Worse when my daughter drags me in a Goodwill or yard sale. Maybe in radioactive waste if there's a rare part in there I'm looking for.

Old 04-29-20, 01:41 AM

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Parts, etc. usually online, although my shop will do an order and get it within 48 hours at a price competitive to many online places.
Cycling clothes always in person locally. The sizing of bicycle clothes is so non-standard that it is not worth the risk, except for gloves. Even then the gloves are cheaper locally.
Tires online, but now that there is a local dealer with Compass/Rene Herse in stock, local.
Helmet and shoes, always local to ensure perfect fit.
Old 04-29-20, 10:30 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I'll hit an lbs for things like tubes.
DEFINITELY NOT FOR INNER TUBES. In the interest of full disclosure I ride a recumbent trike now so my experience isn't typical but buying inner tubes has become a pet peeve of mine. I've been disappointed to many times that I won't even drive to the shop to ask anymore. I want specifically 406 or 559 inner tubes, 2" or so wide with 32 to 40 mm Presta valve stems. If you are trying to sell me something that's "not exactly" you'd better back it up with a sweetener of some kind because I'm not going to pay full price for something that I don't want. Even the shop where we bought our trikes doesn't have them in stock.

At my house "special order" is spelled Amazon. It's faster, saves me a second trip to the shop and is usually cheaper.
Old 04-29-20, 10:54 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Parts, etc. usually online, although my shop will do an order and get it within 48 hours at a price competitive to many online places.
Cycling clothes always in person locally. The sizing of bicycle clothes is so non-standard that it is not worth the risk, except for gloves. Even then the gloves are cheaper locally.
Tires online, but now that there is a local dealer with Compass/Rene Herse in stock, local.
Helmet and shoes, always local to ensure perfect fit.
I sometimes buy locally, but more often buy online now. Once you know what size you where in what brand, there isn't a ton of guesswork anymore. The markup on clothes at local shops is very high, so I generally only buy stuff locally on sale.

Years ago, there was a local bike shop that got clothing at a reasonable discount. good enough that I went a couple of times a year to see what they had in stock. Then one year, I went in to find that the clothing racks were really picked over. I asked the owner when he was getting more stuff. "Never," he said. eople are buying clothing online and the stuff sits for months unsold. So we are not selling clothing anymore."
Old 04-29-20, 12:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I asked the same question just before you and no one answered lol I tried some of the sites mentioned but decided they all kind of crap for my purposes and just used amazon. Would use my local shop for this stuff but it is not open due to the virus.
Old 04-30-20, 09:46 AM
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Ben's is pretty good. I once got a set of Bibs from them that retailed for $150. Got them for $50.
Ben's is awesome! I got my first pair of bike shoes from them for $5! Bought 2 more pairs and haven't looked back!

Most of what I buy is used, discounted or free. I like Poshmark, ebay and discount stores.
Old 04-30-20, 11:48 AM
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I buy from pretty much anywhere except Amazon and Walmart. If I find an item on Amazon that I like, I go out of my way to find an alternative source for it. I do a lot of my online shopping at Universal Cycles. Ben's Cycle recently had an item I was looking for that I couldn't find anywhere else, so they're also at the top of my list.

I don't buy bicycling-specific clothes, other than gloves (and even then, I only like classic crochet gloves, which are not what most brands now want me to buy).
Old 05-02-20, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Most recently modernbike.com. Great selection and pricing! I ordered 4 bike tubes at 1pm and they shipped at 3pm same day. Amazing service!
Likes For delacrue96:
Old 05-02-20, 03:15 PM

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
LBS as much as possible. Otherwise it's usually Jenson, REI, or Backcountry. I'll buy direct from some companies too, for example for clothes and bags I like Shower's Pass, Revelate Designs--I will often buy stuff like that direct from the manufacturer if the LBS doesn't have it. Hard to find clothing that fits at the LBS--they just can't carry enough sizes/options.
Old 05-02-20, 04:08 PM

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I buy from pretty much anywhere except Amazon and Walmart. If I find an item on Amazon that I like, I go out of my way to find an alternative source for it. I do a lot of my online shopping at Universal Cycles. Ben's Cycle recently had an item I was looking for that I couldn't find anywhere else, so they're also at the top of my list.

I don't buy bicycling-specific clothes, other than gloves (and even then, I only like classic crochet gloves, which are not what most brands now want me to buy).
Just curious as why you don't buy from amazon
Old 05-02-20, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by deco101
I just got a new road bike, hoping to get into road biking a little more than the 1st time around.

I was curious where do you all shop for your gear? everything seems so expensive - helmet 100$, bike lock 100$ etc

Is there an outlet for locks, helmets etc for discounted prices?
If I am buying something I have to wear, I will go to a bike shop. Buying things like shorts, jerseys, or shoes online is risky, the size on the label is generally a rough guide, and you really need to try things on to make sure they fit. And just because something you tried on at a bike shop fit okay, that doesn't mean the same item bought from Amazon will. As for prices, bike shops often have sales of the previous years's merchandise, and more than once they have given me a discount when they see me scratching my head trying to make a decision.

When it comes to mechanical things like pedals, tires, tubes, or replacement parts, I will generally order them online from overseas. I live in Japan, where price fixing is rampant, and where the local Amazon is often no less expensive than a local shop. I like to tinker with computers, a Bluetooth 4.0 card with an adapter and wires costs about $80 on Amazon.com in America. But if I want to buy it from Amazon Japan, it will run me more than $300. Bike parts are the same, I can get a new high-end brake set from America or Europe for less than what a used kit would sell for in Japan.
Old 05-02-20, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Competitive Cyclist is great. LBS if you can find one with knowledgeable staff.