Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure loss due to heavy rider?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire pressure loss due to heavy rider?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by teeebone
Just by attaching the floor pump (Bontrager dual charger pump). Interestingly enough my wife has the exact same tubeless tire (bough the bikes and had them converted the same time) and she is not heavy and all our tires after inflated to 50 go down a little right after the ride but within 24 hours go down to 40. They seem to hold at 40 but won't hold at 50 (even without riding). Guess fat me isn't causing this but could a bad seal be stopping it from staying at 50 but holding steady at 40?
You've gotten some advice in this thread, and I'll be interested to see a report on whether any of it works. Or you could just spend a minute topping off the air pressure in your tires before each ride. That won't hurt anything.
Old 08-24-20, 11:20 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Just by attaching the floor pump (Bontrager dual charger pump). Interestingly enough my wife has the exact same tubeless tire (bough the bikes and had them converted the same time) and she is not heavy and all our tires after inflated to 50 go down a little right after the ride but within 24 hours go down to 40. They seem to hold at 40 but won't hold at 50 (even without riding). Guess fat me isn't causing this but could a bad seal be stopping it from staying at 50 but holding steady at 40?
Find another person using the same tires and you are well on your way to a statistically significant result

All kidding aside, if you have 4 tires that all behave the same way, you have the diffusion rate for your tires. It’s not a bad seal because that would require all 4 tires to have exactly the same problem which is highly unlikely. That’s just how much air your particular tire brand loses in about 24 hours. It’s perhaps a little high but it’s not outside of the range of expected losses. Most of us don’t actually track how much air is lost. We just pump them up before each ride.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-25-20, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
You've gotten some advice in this thread, and I'll be interested to see a report on whether any of it works. Or you could just spend a minute topping off the air pressure in your tires before each ride. That won't hurt anything.
I top off before each ride - it is no big deal. But I was just trying to find out if my tires not holding at 50 but always holding at 40 was normal....plus the guy at the bike place inferred it was happening because of my weight (which I would have known was wrong if I had taken the pressure after the ride not the next day).
Old 08-25-20, 09:12 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I really think that what you are seeing is an artifact of mounting the pump head on the tire. Assuming that you are adept at attaching the head to the valve without losing air, you have still added volume to the system, i.e. the pump head and tubing back to the check valve in the floor pump. As a consequence, the pressure of the tire/pump system will drop. You will lose some pressure due to diffusion but 10 psi overnight is a stretch.

Try this: Pump up your tires to 50 psi, then unmount the pump head. Remount the pump head and see what pressure you read. I bet it drops some.
Old 08-26-20, 09:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I really think that what you are seeing is an artifact of mounting the pump head on the tire. Assuming that you are adept at attaching the head to the valve without losing air, you have still added volume to the system, i.e. the pump head and tubing back to the check valve in the floor pump. As a consequence, the pressure of the tire/pump system will drop. You will lose some pressure due to diffusion but 10 psi overnight is a stretch.

Try this: Pump up your tires to 50 psi, then unmount the pump head. Remount the pump head and see what pressure you read. I bet it drops some.
I did that and it stayed at 50. It is not the artifact of mounting the pump head on the tire. Just got back from another ride and only went down to around 47.....can guarantee you in 24 hours with no riding it will be down to 40. These tires just will not hold anything over 40 for more than 24 hours (even with no riding). When I check again after it gets to 40 they always stayed at 40.
Old 08-26-20, 10:03 AM

I did that and it stayed at 50. It is not the artifact of mounting the pump head on the tire. Just got back from another ride and only went down to around 47.....can guarantee you in 24 hours with no riding it will be down to 40. These tires just will not hold anything over 40 for more than 24 hours (even with no riding). When I check again after it gets to 40 they always stayed at 40.
Did you try any of the tips I referred to in Post #9 ? Just curious to know if they worked, assuming you tried them.
Old 08-26-20, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Newbie here. I weigh around 235 pounds and ride a Trek Dual Sport 3 with Bontrager GR2 700C X 40MM tubeless tires. If I set my pressure at 50 psi after every ride (average ride is between 20 and 30 miles) it will go down to 40 psi. It doesn't matter if I am riding gravel or road - the exact thing happens (I usually set it lower for gravel but the times I did try 50 it went down to 40). When I asked the guy at the bike shop he told me I should not be at 50 and I should be at 40 and because of my weight it will lose air. Is this normal?
There are two kinds of "tubeless" - "tubeless" and "tubeless compatible". Tubeless tires have a heavier soft rubber bead on them that supposedly doesn't need sealant. Don't believe it. Although it does allow you to cleanly remove the tire they are a REAL pain in the butt. They are EXTREMELY difficult to mount on the newer Tubeless rims and i have destroyed 3 carbon aero rims trying to fit these things. Also, do NOT believe that tubeless doesn't get flats. They do, the holes are just bigger and much harder to repair. So after a couple of years of using them I am returning to pure clinchers and tubes. And Aluminum rims with so much better braking. I spent an entire week trying to get a tubeless tire on properly and after breaking the rim using the plastic tire jack designed to pull them on I gave up and bought bought some new Campy clinchers and Continental clincher tires. And taking about five minutes to install both new tires was such a relief I can't even tell you.

Tires do not significantly lose air because of your weight but rather because they sit overnight and lose air through the pores in the rubber that are a part of the material. Tubeless tires are significantly more expensive than clinchers as well. My experiments are over and while tubeless sounds good the air capacity of a bike tire is just too small to allow them to work well.
Old 08-26-20, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
There are two kinds of "tubeless" - "tubeless" and "tubeless compatible". Tubeless tires have a heavier soft rubber bead on them that supposedly doesn't need sealant. Don't believe it. Although it does allow you to cleanly remove the tire they are a REAL pain in the butt. They are EXTREMELY difficult to mount on the newer Tubeless rims and i have destroyed 3 carbon aero rims trying to fit these things.
More often than not I have used road tubeless tires without sealant. My wheels(Campagnolo Shamal 2way fit) seal well enough that they hold air almost as long as butyl inner tubes. I have not used any tools other than my hands to mount tires for many years, in fact they are no more difficult to install than conventional clinchers on the Campagnolo Neutron wheels on my other bike. I am currently using sealant because my current tires(Hutchinson Fusion 5) are a couple of years old and were starting to lose air a bit quicker than when they were new
Old 08-26-20, 12:13 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Find another person using the same tires and you are well on your way to a statistically significant result

All kidding aside, if you have 4 tires that all behave the same way, you have the diffusion rate for your tires. It’s not a bad seal because that would require all 4 tires to have exactly the same problem which is highly unlikely. That’s just how much air your particular tire brand loses in about 24 hours. It’s perhaps a little high but it’s not outside of the range of expected losses. Most of us don’t actually track how much air is lost. We just pump them up before each ride.
I'm quoting this because it didn't seem to catch OP's attention first time around. This is your best explanation for what's happening and advice for what you should do going forward. Over and done.
Old 08-26-20, 06:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm quoting this because it didn't seem to catch OP's attention first time around. This is your best explanation for what's happening and advice for what you should do going forward. Over and done.
It caught my attention and it makes sense but I am only allowed 5 posts per 24 hours so I cannot respond to all of them. If losing 10 PSI after 24 hours (without even riding) and losing no more after that is normal for these tires so be it.
Old 08-26-20, 06:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
Did you try any of the tips I referred to in Post #9 ? Just curious to know if they worked, assuming you tried them.
I will but I have my "free checkup" from the place I purchased the bike so I don't want to do it until after they look at my bike....maybe this is something they will do after I tell them what is happening.
Old 08-26-20, 07:28 PM

I will but I have my "free checkup" from the place I purchased the bike so I don't want to do it until after they look at my bike....maybe this is something they will do after I tell them what is happening.
That's a good plan.
Old 08-26-20, 10:39 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
It caught my attention and it makes sense but I am only allowed 5 posts per 24 hours so I cannot respond to all of them. If losing 10 PSI after 24 hours (without even riding) and losing no more after that is normal for these tires so be it.
Pressure loss due to diffusion isn’t linear. You lose more pressure faster at 100 PSI than you do at 40 PSI. 10 PSI loss from 50 to 40PSI in 24 hours is a bit more than I’d expect but you have 4 tires that do the same thing so that’s what your leak rate is.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!