Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Average Distance dropping quickly

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Average Distance dropping quickly

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 10:12 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 712 Posts
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about how our yearly mileage was shrinking as we age...I've definitely noticed that phenomenon.

~10 years ago I was riding an average of 135-150 miles per week, 52 weeks/year. These last few years it's been closer to 100 miles/week. Admittedly a handful of issues unrelated to my personal enthusiasm have contributed to that shrinkage, but I must confess when I get home from a ~50 mile ride these days I do not find myself thinking "Eh, I wish today had been an 80 mile ride."

But distance dropping simply due to seasonal change? Uh, yeah, I guess that's happening ...but it happens every year (mostly due to the available daylight) so it doesn't surprise me at all and frankly barely even registers as something to muse about.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 10-20-21, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Around here we get the Santa Ana winds this time of year so that can get in the way . It is an east wind and since I live in the eastern section of Ventura County , it is a blast heading out to the coast but can be challenging getting home. The wind can dry out the sinuses and is usually followed by a headache….. bummer. I have lived in this area since I was about five years old and still have not come to terms with these winds, they are no fun.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-21-21, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
This is the time of year I cherry pick my outdoor rides (nice crisp dry Autumn days only) and wind down a bit after riding all through Spring and Summer. Then I transition into my winter indoor training ready for the following Spring. Miles-week is not really a metric I keep track of or care about.
Old 10-21-21, 01:24 PM
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
The miles for me will drop strictly because of losing daylight. I do the bulk of my riding on MUPs after I get off work and when the time changes it will be pitch dark when I get off. Ima try to get 35 or so in tomorrow and it will be pretty dark when I finish up. I bettered last years total of 1000 miles by 600 so I feel I did pretty good. Have a plan to keep riding through the cold weather but it will be at a vastly reduced number of miles : (
Old 10-25-21, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Now that Autumn is upon us, my weekly distance challenge I set back at the beginning of the year is dropping like the leaves from the trees. I just don't have the same enthusiasm to get out and ride that I did when we transitioned from winter to spring. The reduced amount of daylight each day, my fatigue of riding the same routes every week since April and weather conditions are making it tough to ride outside. I've started to Zwift more to make up for it but it's not the same and it's a bit early in the season to go full time indoor training, considering this will be the only choice for the next 5-6 months.

Anyone else hit that rut?
Yeah usually after 8 months or so of riding (I typically start in February) I'm pretty burned out and ready to take a break. I've also usually accumulated a few recurring aches and pains that need a couple months downtime to fully recover.
Likes For tendency:
Old 10-25-21, 04:30 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Now that Autumn is upon us, my weekly distance challenge I set back at the beginning of the year is dropping like the leaves from the trees. I just don't have the same enthusiasm to get out and ride that I did when we transitioned from winter to spring. The reduced amount of daylight each day, my fatigue of riding the same routes every week since April and weather conditions are making it tough to ride outside. I've started to Zwift more to make up for it but it's not the same and it's a bit early in the season to go full time indoor training, considering this will be the only choice for the next 5-6 months.
Anyone else hit that rut?
Not happening for me, cause I haven't had the opportunity to ride much these past few years... This year saw me getting back to my old self a bit more (good and bad with that... LOL!)
And I'm as stoked as I was in Mid-April to make this a Bike-Hike-Pack outdoor year again !!! The late summer fires out here put a slight damper on 'pack', but not on Bike...
I can and WILL go year-round out here... But I'm also going to try to experience Real Winter, whenever possible.
I just have no energy to sweat indoors. I much prefer a really wet,winter ride (like the old days back east...) over rollers... And when it was slush season, a brisk hike in some neighboring wood was always a super thing, even when needing a good light...
Seasons are a wonderful thing - and a gift to us - providing the opportunity to change mindset and find love other ways, quickly remembered and appreciated.

Originally Posted by ofajen
No, I’m looking forward to winter. The trails get more “interesting” (muddy) and there are way fewer people on them. Just the dedicated.
Plus once it’s 60 or lower, I can always work hard and dissipate all the heat. And when I get home, I have to warm up as much as cool off. Ten minutes later it’s like it didn’t happen.
Edit: also night time rides are better because once we get our first freeze, there won’t be so many bugs swarming my headlight or getting in my face.
Otto
Couldn't have said it better ! Cold (when managed) offers me clearer thinking and appreciation. Some of my best times were when I had to be concerned to not again get Frostbite... LOL!
Like you said, and then later, it wasn;t all that 'bad'.. and was fun!

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about how our yearly mileage was shrinking as we age...I've definitely noticed that phenomenon.

~10 years ago I was riding an average of 135-150 miles per week, 52 weeks/year. These last few years it's been closer to 100 miles/week. Admittedly a handful of issues unrelated to my personal enthusiasm have contributed to that shrinkage, but I must confess when I get home from a ~50 mile ride these days I do not find myself thinking "Eh, I wish today had been an 80 mile ride."
But distance dropping simply due to seasonal change? Uh, yeah, I guess that's happening ...but it happens every year (mostly due to the available daylight) so it doesn't surprise me at all and frankly barely even registers as something to muse about.
Funny, my first though on title was same... how my rides have become 'shorter' in distance, over same time. I get to blame it on 'health issues'; but realize it's an inevitable thing.
'Star Trek" - "resistance is futile"... but. of course, it's not futile... where this takes each of us, who knows ? (on a cycling level - we won;t need to take it further than that... LOL)
I figure - If I get on the bike at the start of the ride, with the same high enthusiasm, and end the ride with the same level "I'm cooked", then the # of miles between is not important.
my greatest fear is to be relegated to E-bike... Oh, please NO! LOL !!!!
Ride On
​​​​​​​Yuri