Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 03:50 PM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You at least need a stiff sole shoe (no matter what kind) for you are going to put some miles in. It took me 8 months of riding before I went clip-in.
Old 12-17-04, 06:12 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
You've obviously been lucky first up.

Cycling shoes, as a generic term, are *not* a solution to hot-foot or hot-spots and can actually cause them. I speak from PE.

My old tennis shoes and platforms used to give me hot-spots. Hurt like hell after 15miles.

I know that the shoes can cause hot-spots if they aren't the right size/shape for you're feet. Your probably right, I just got lucky
Old 12-20-04, 11:59 AM
Friar

Bikes: Mutant Huffy six speed, Garage Sale Deluxe Cannondale HB-200 Modified Glintmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old six speed bike with platform pedals. I ride for exercise and to lose weight, etc. About 16 to 40 miles a day when I can ride.

Discovered I needed better shoes when reading about solid soled shoes here on forums. Being a cheap bastard by nature I deccided to make my own stiff soled shoes.

Scrounged around in shed and found some 3/16 inch aluminum plate.
Dug up old Dr. Scholls shoe inserts and used those for a template.
Cut out nice stiff shoe inserts with handy dandy sabre saw.
Did some custom hammering to get foot 'arc' just so and some fine tuning with hammer later and now have some spiffy FIRM soled tennis shoes. I tossed a store bought foam pad on top of the inserts for a bit of cushion. WOrkie great.

Added bonus I can remove the inserts if I desire in case I need to flee the scene on foot.
Likes For UziBeatle:
Old 12-20-04, 12:42 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL Nice work Uzi.

You should try and make something so you can bolt on cleats. Thats another advantage of the clipless pedals, you can pull up so you get a bit more energy out of every pedal stroke.
Old 12-20-04, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question, what does SPD stand for/mean? Does it mean clipless?

Thanks,
AK
Old 12-20-04, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD = Shimano Pedaling Dynamics. It refers to Shimano's proprietary clipless system but every manufacturer has their own clipless system.

Bike shoes are not necessary but I love mine. I love riding clipless and I also like the stiffness of the sole which is far more comfortable (less foot fatigue). I have a pair of "casual" cummuter bike shoes w/SPD but even on my commute I prefer my MTB shoes which are far stiffer. I haven't purchased roadie shoes though, because they are pretty useless off bike for walking around in. My MTB shoes have the right amount of stiffness and I use them on my road bike as well.
Old 12-20-04, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel 98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For serious road cycling and XC riding, clipless is the only way to go, in my opinion. Which means you need bike shoes, of course.

I used to ride on platforms for several years and I cannot tell you how many times I got bounced off the pedals in rough, technical climbs, only to bang my shins or calfs. With clipless, I can spin like crazy while bouncing all over rocks and roots.
Old 12-21-04, 05:33 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's an example of a clipless system?
Old 12-21-04, 02:15 PM
Specialized Member

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i currently own a set of shimano frog pedals and a 2003 pair of specialized mountain shoes but because of the amount of commuting i do vs the amount of riding i do i had to take the clipless pedals off and replace them with toestraps so i could ride with normal shoes. when i go on rides i just use the cycling shoes in the toe straps and that seems to work out pretty good.
Old 12-21-04, 02:32 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
What's an example of a clipless system?

Usually when people say clipless system they are talking about pedals + shoes + cleats. Atleast I am anyway...

Edit: Chanman, you mean speedplay frogs? Shimano makes SPD's, speedplay makes frogs, zeros, x-2, x-3 etc.
Old 12-21-04, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel 98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "clipless" system is: Shimano SPD shoes, Eggbeater Candy SL pedals and cleats. The Candy SL cleats that come with the pedals are SPD compatible, of course.
Old 12-21-04, 04:08 PM
Brick Snotshoulders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Does anyone know of a pair of SPDs that don't make noise every time you walk on the sidewalk?
Shoes for mountain biking or touring often have the cleats recessed within a tread block on the bottom of the shoe. I've got a pair of Nike's and a pair of Specialized like that. They're still funny to walk in because of the stiff sole, but you don't clip-clop quite so much like a horse.
Old 12-21-04, 05:05 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my SPDs make a grinding noise on uneven pavement, but oh well. I just try to make sure I dont walk with em on wood floors though, that's just rude.
Old 12-21-04, 05:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shoes will definitely help you to be a much more efficient rider for many reasons, but in the interest of keeping things simple most biking shoes have a much stiffer sole than your tennis shoes do. This makes them transfer energy to your pedals more efficiently, particularly if they are used in conjunction with a clipless pedal. Additionally, I would encourage you to buy your shoes on the small side (not painfully) to reduce the amount of "slop" that you may feel if your shoes are too big.
Mountain bike shoes have the cleat mount recessed so that the cleat does not scrape the ground when you are walking around, so unless you are a high level road biker you may want to consider those as an alternative. There are road cleats from Shimano that have pontoons on them for use on road shoes that will make them a little easier to walk around in.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-21-04, 10:57 PM
Just like to ride!

Bikes: TREK and Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I think they are worth it but I just had my first serious accident using them so be very careful. I haven't been on them since but will try it again because I estimate you're about 15% more efficient. I'm still looking for shoes where the cleat doesn't hit the street with every step. Does anyone know of a pair of SPDs that don't make noise every time you walk on the sidewalk?
Shimano m020.
https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Shoes/product_86571.shtml

These are light weight MTB shoes. I have been using a pair for road cycling for 3 years. They are comfortable and have a recesed SPD cleat. I also have road shoes but typically wear these most of the time. Not as asteticly pleasing as high end road shoes and lace up vs straps.
Old 12-23-04, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm surprised no one has brought up weight issues. Is the clipless system lighter?

Also I thought there were a bunch of bones in your feet - my feet don't flop up when I push down on my pedal!

I'm guessing for recreational type riders clipless (and 95% of the other stuff that's out there) won't make a noticeable difference but for those of you that are good enough to have found the limits of their equipment it probably will.
Old 12-23-04, 10:24 PM
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lighter than wearing hiking boots and using plateforms.

it does make a big difference, i´m not a pro nor anywhere close, but i do find it greatly improves my paddling efficiency.
Old 12-23-04, 10:30 PM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is paddling really a cycling term that I'm unaware of, or do tons of people on these forums mis-spell "pedaling"? Not bein' a smartass, just wantin' to know.
Old 12-24-04, 12:37 AM
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oops, my mistake, sorry.
Old 12-24-04, 06:15 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
as far as my "system" goes: performance ForteII shoes, SPD single-release cleats, Shimano M-505 pedals. Very low-dollar, yet very effective.
Old 12-24-04, 06:25 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
On my around town bike, I have toe clips...I find those wear out shoes very quickly...Since platform pedals are just for around town, guess w/o clipless-I would not get very far..
Can't imagine getting good traction on a serious climb with just platform pedals... If limited to platform pedals, sure my annual mileage would go from over 6000 miles to under 250 .
Old 12-24-04, 06:53 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oddly most of my yearly mileage this year was on platforms with half-clips. But clipless made me capable of doing harder things without as much drama, that's for sure....I wouldnt try to climb anyhting as steep as some of the SJ, cali overpasses without them.
Old 12-25-04, 10:16 AM

Living in states' as flat as Florida, I can understand why one would be able to get by w/0 clipless...No challenges unless you are speeding like 20 plus mph...But, then hurricane force gale winds can add a need to speed up the cadence due to resistance.
Now, climb 1200 feet in less than a mile and with platform pedals,the feet would be slipping off the pedals on the uptake.
In my little town , just to do an errand downtown I have to climb couple hundred feet...For my around the town errand bike I have "Powergrip" toe clips to get better traction on the climbs.
Old 12-25-04, 10:25 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to live in sj cali, I moved here two weeks ago

I know climbs
Old 12-25-04, 10:30 AM

Funny, Catonic..I lived in Sarasota, Fla. about 20 years ago...I would not have known climbs.. Hope you have some really , light weight jerseys...Heah, you are near some eally dedicated Bike Forum members...Can give you some direction to local bike culture.... Anxious to get your impresssions about bike paths/facilites for cyclists in California versus Florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.