Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Ride Report - 100 pounds, 100 miles: My First Century

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ride Report - 100 pounds, 100 miles: My First Century

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid-road conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Garmin Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/113324485
Mile 91, I reach the shop, and the owner is the only one there. That's ok, he's the one that did the fit. We get to talking, he offers me some water, which I graciously gulp down like crazy (I may have not been drinking enough liquids!). His wife is there and asks me how far I rode to get to the shop. I answer "Oh, 90 miles". She goes wide-eyed, and I quip "I took the long way though, it's 10 miles the short way". They congratulate me on going the distance and I get to going again... but not before I spend a few minutes eyeing some road bikes. I made myself a promise that when I hit my 100 mile goal I can buy a road bike, so now that it's looking like it will happen, I can't resist.
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
1995 GT Outpost Trail https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...rail&Type=bike
The bike was not built for speed, but it makes a good commuter now that I've "hybridized" it. But it's really time I go for a road bike now.
I will be very interested to see what bike you reward yourself with. I'm very inspired by the story, and excited about maybe getting a roadie of my own after my first century...especially if I have such a remarkable weight loss leading up to it. I hope you have some before and after pics of you and your bike(s) up...
Old 09-11-11, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Congratulations! Losing 100 lbs and then riding a century on a mountain bike? Amazing!

I'm a super clydsedale who recently got back on the bike (Trek 7.2) both for the love of riding (I had forgotten how much fun it is) and hopefully to lose weight. I've decided that once I've built up to riding my hybrid 20 or 30 miles, I will start looking into a road bike. The ones that inspire me the most are the Rivendells but I'll also be looking at the Surly LHT, Surly Cross Check and the Salsa Casserroll. I'm undecided on tackling a century but it's a definite thought in the back of my brain.

If I lose 100 lbs and/or ride a century, I'm going to reward myself and if I still want a Rivendell at that point, I'm getting a Rivendell.
Old 09-11-11, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil_B
I think the reason for prehydrating is to keep the rider from the 'normal' state of dehydration many Americans suffer from. May I ask if when you urinated the fluid was clear? A rule of thumb is that the darker it is, the more nutrients and electrolytes you are losing. Before and during such an endurance ride, your urine should be clear and nearly colorless.
I drink a ton of water normally now; just part of my daily routine, so maybe the amount I drink now qualifies as "prehydrating". Over 110 ounces a day, at least. Pee is almost always clear, except for in the morning.
Old 09-11-11, 09:49 AM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zencalm
I loved reading this! Super congrats!

Also, I checked out the Garmin link. That was some great data! Do you always ride with the Garmin? I have a simple Sigma 1009 for now. As I get into longer rides, I might upgrade to something that tracks cadence. Garmin seems expensive, but there's always a way to justify a new toy.

Your write-up was superb. Rock on!

(I feel like there should be a century smiley.)

Yeah, originally I was going to go with a Cateye Strada, but decided why the heck not. I love maps, one of my interests is cartography, so I love how the Garmin tracks my paths for me.

Additionally I keep a map with everywhere I've been on the bike this season, just for fun: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/638365 (Excludes my Virginia excursions, as they did not begin from my home)

Been looking for a way to automatically concatenate all the garmin GPS data to calculate a map like this automatically, instead of having to do it by hand. The best comments I get from my friends are the ones where they say "Jesus, you've been to places on a bike that I have never even visited, and I've lived here all my life!". Hehe...
Old 09-11-11, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome goal! Woooot!
Old 09-11-11, 08:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations. Loved the ride report.
Old 09-11-11, 09:45 PM
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent!!
Old 09-11-11, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great write up and congratulations on the weight loss and ride!

keep up the great work man!
Old 09-12-11, 07:29 AM
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't forget to add Gunner and Soma to the shortlist ! my 'first century' reward is also going to be steel..but don't know what yet.

Originally Posted by corwin1968
Congratulations! Losing 100 lbs and then riding a century on a mountain bike? Amazing!

I'm a super clydsedale who recently got back on the bike (Trek 7.2) both for the love of riding (I had forgotten how much fun it is) and hopefully to lose weight. I've decided that once I've built up to riding my hybrid 20 or 30 miles, I will start looking into a road bike. The ones that inspire me the most are the Rivendells but I'll also be looking at the Surly LHT, Surly Cross Check and the Salsa Casserroll. I'm undecided on tackling a century but it's a definite thought in the back of my brain.

If I lose 100 lbs and/or ride a century, I'm going to reward myself and if I still want a Rivendell at that point, I'm getting a Rivendell.
Old 09-12-11, 07:34 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Congrats Mith! Keep riding!