Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Avocet crank

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Avocet crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 05:43 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7373 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,470 Posts
The advertising for the Avocet saddles was very successful. We sold a ton of those saddles in 1979 and 1980. I wonder why the design doesn’t live on?

Another fun anecdote: in about 1982, a man walked into the shop where I worked. His hobby was building and selling tandems. He said he picked up women in Central Park. I guess a ride on a tandem looked attractive. He said that the most popular saddle among these women was the Avocet Racing W-II. I guess if anyone would know, he would, since he may have had a large sample size.

I forgot to mention that Brandt said that the computer would count the times the sine wave crossed zero. That was the unit of measurement.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-12-22, 05:50 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,956 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
didn't the Ofmega cranks have weird dimension, so they need Ofmega BBs?
Originally Posted by unworthy1
In my experience the cranks that Ofmega made for Avocet did NOT have the "proprietary spindle taper" than some of the Ofmega-branded cranks did indeed have.
So Avocet-branded cranks could use any of the Campy-or-Campy-compatible spindles without a hitch.
Some early Ofmega/Avocet cranks had a slightly narrower taper than is typical, but tthe vast majority of what was imported into North America was standard taper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spindle-taper.jpg (250.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-12-22, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,596 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I forgot to mention that Brandt said that the computer would count the times the sine wave crossed zero. That was the unit of measurement.
The early days of electronic bike computers/speedometers were pretty interesting, and it amazes me that some ever got to production! The Avocet 20, their first model, was pretty sleek and sophisticated compared to their competitors. The little magnet ring that attached at the hub was easily installed, and the sensor just attached at the dropout. Together, they were unobtrusive and fairly rugged. I'm not sure that magnet ring, with multiple poles per revolution, provided any better accuracy or response than the reed switch that provided one pulse per revolution. That would depend on whether the computer counted the time from pulse to pulse or counted the number of pulses per unit of time. There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.

As Tom notes, the magnet induced a sine wave into the sensor, which is just a wire coil. Not a bad design, since there are no moving parts. The downside was that the circuitry always used power, causing the battery life to be about one year. The competing sensor design was the magnet and reed switch, which seems to be a major factor in the long battery life of computers using them.

I have three Avocets on vintage bikes, and they pretty much do what I want. The main problems I've noticed, other than short battery life, the connectors can be an issue. I've had good results by cutting off the connector sockets at the sensor, and just soldering the wires to the sensor pins. The plating on the connectors at the computer mount is just a tin plating, which wears out quickly. It's best to not put the computer in and out of the mount unless necessary. Fortunately, the connectors appear to be standard Molex contacts, so replacements should be available.

a quick look at the Avocet 20 on my International....

and a look at the sensor and magnet ring at the hub....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-12-22, 07:39 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,669 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The early days of electronic bike computers/speedometers were pretty interesting, and it amazes me that some ever got to production! The Avocet 20, their first model, was pretty sleek and sophisticated compared to their competitors. The little magnet ring that attached at the hub was easily installed, and the sensor just attached at the dropout. Together, they were unobtrusive and fairly rugged. I'm not sure that magnet ring, with multiple poles per revolution, provided any better accuracy or response than the reed switch that provided one pulse per revolution. That would depend on whether the computer counted the time from pulse to pulse or counted the number of pulses per unit of time. There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.

As Tom notes, the magnet induced a sine wave into the sensor, which is just a wire coil. Not a bad design, since there are no moving parts. The downside was that the circuitry always used power, causing the battery life to be about one year. The competing sensor design was the magnet and reed switch, which seems to be a major factor in the long battery life of computers using them.

I have three Avocets on vintage bikes, and they pretty much do what I want. The main problems I've noticed, other than short battery life, the connectors can be an issue. I've had good results by cutting off the connector sockets at the sensor, and just soldering the wires to the sensor pins. The plating on the connectors at the computer mount is just a tin plating, which wears out quickly. It's best to not put the computer in and out of the mount unless necessary. Fortunately, the connectors appear to be standard Molex contacts, so replacements should be available.

a quick look at the Avocet 20 on my International....

and a look at the sensor and magnet ring at the hub....

Steve in Peoria
Nice ride!
Old 04-12-22, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 551 Posts
A tip for Avocet 20 Cyclometer fans:
if your fork blades have the typical holes at the top and bottoms that the manufacturer provided for letting out gasses during the brazing process, you can route the cable for the sensor through them so you do not have exposed wires going down your fork leg. I was able to do this by de-pinning the wires from the computer mount and fishing them through the fork leg holes with a legnth of fishing line.
I did this to the Avocet 20 I installed on my Peugeot PSV back in 84.
IIRC, I think I saw a pic of Greg Lemond's TDF Gitane having the same thing done shortly after I did mine.

Last edited by Chombi1; 04-13-22 at 12:34 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 04-12-22, 07:18 PM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,558 Posts
I have one of those RH crankarms and my old Touring II saddle, one of the suede ones now worn smooth. I also used the Fasgrip 32C tires on my old Klein and liked them.